Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526165 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

No problem man, that's what you've got me for. A Draignean Never Forgets.
Except when it comes to waiting lists if I recall correctly. :P

Hey, I just didn't have it up. The list itself was all up here!
* Draignean thocks own head hollowly
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

If Tarran rolls a 1, we can have two people die! Yippee!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Good thing I won't be risking rolling that 1, then.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile

Sorry for not being here, i had some temporary paying work

anyway Ash tries to remember if she found any floor plans of this place while she was jacked into the computer
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I'm sorry for not being here, apparently my hard disk is in an imminent failure state.  :-\ Granted, I could have run the turn before it started failing, but I didn't know it was planning to fuss out on me.

Bought Diablo III, (Hey, I haven't bought a new game in a while. DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT.), realized that I was missing SP2, and then embarked on the merry hell of attempting to install SP2 on a well used computer. Several days later, I still do not have SP2, I still do not have Diablo III installed, and my computer is constantly warning me that my hard disk is about to fail. Fun.

Apparently service packs are only meant to be installed on computers that have never been used before. Plus the tech-support people appear to be contractually obligated to personally hate anyone who asks a question that isn't already answered on the troubleshooting website.

So, I'm almost finished backing up the 300~ Gig of at risk files, and assuming that "imminent" doesn't mean "imminent", I'll probably run a turn a today. Even if imminent is actually an honest estimate I might run a turn from my laptop, but I may also be shopping for a new HDD.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

That sucks, dude. :-\ It seems like everyone is having computer troubles recently (me, you, Digital Hellhound)...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not me. My computer is dandy.

Me, however, not so dandy. I'm slightly sick, and I only got a whopping ~3 hours of sleep as a result.

Anyway, my sympathies. Do it on your own time, there's no rush.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not me. My computer is dandy.

Smug bastard...

Apparently imminent was actually imminent. I *think* most of the files have been backed up, but I, apparently, couldn't get the OS mirrored before everything froze.  :-\ So now I'm looking at $250 worth of repairs to make if I just want the computer to do what it did before. I'm thinking of making a few upgrades, notably a newer OS and an SSD to replace the dead HDD, but that will increase the price and make it take that much longer to repair.

So, now I'm just down to my laptop as far as computing goes. This is unfortunate, but it hopefully shouldn't affect things too badly until I make the repairs.

The only thing that is problematic is that I was developing a set of macros that would let me effectively simulate D22 combat (harder than it sounds if you're like me and never want to have to make manual edits), but this laptop REALLY doesn't like maptools at all. So progress on that front is postponed indefinitely, but that should at least get me off my fanny for making Serious' suggestion work.

That sucks, dude. :-\ It seems like everyone is having computer troubles recently (me, you, Digital Hellhound)...

I bless your failing computer with the magic of my fail. Hopefully this will cause it to fail at failing and magically repair itself.

I swear I'll have that wiki thing up eventually. That code you've given me has helped, but I'm still breaking things on a regular basis.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tarran Smith

Will my body to HEAL FASTER DAMMIT.

[Stam 2] (6+3 /5 2 HP regenerated) For the first time since the firefight in the rotting garden, feeling begins to flicker slowly back into your recoil numbed hands. You scowl at them resentfully. You're still pretty much an invalid at a time when people desperately need your help, the ability to feel just how ill fitting your grave-robbed armor is doesn't do much to make you feel better.   
    You've got James on the line, and maybe Dominique if she tries something suicidal without you in any shape to back her up. You need to get back in the fight, and you just don't have the supplies to do it fast or the time to do it slow.
    You close your eyes hopelessly and attempt to stem your wounds by will alone. [P. Kinetics 4+2] Something tickles faintly at the back of your mind, taking the glowing afterimage of the lightstand from your closed sight and... changing it. The thought, if it could be called that, moves with quick, precise strokes. Shapes and designs are twisted from the reddish blur on your closed eyes, then warped into something incomprehensibly complex, yet familiar as the shape of your own teeth.
     [A.Kinetics 5+2] Blindly and without thought, you attempt to follow the design of fading light before it dies. You feel gentle pressures nudging against your flesh from within and without, breaking things so small that they could scarcely be called things at all. The pattern of thought repeats upon itself as you mold your own flesh back into shape with barely conscious will, refining your work with each repetition of gentle nudges.
    It is only when you first begin to question how you're doing any of this that you rise from your memory induced trance enough to realize just how badly this hurts. [Soak 3] You completely lose the psionic pattern as a feeling akin to tearing off your own skin with your teeth breaks through your somnolent mind. You jerk and twitch under the pain, but you resist crying out as your nerves inform you in no uncertain terms that they are not happy with what you just did.

As the pain fades you feel weaker and washed, but, strangely, better. Your wounds don't hurt as badly, and most of the small cuts and grazes have closed up. Even the bandaged burn on your arm feels better, though it still itches like the very devil.

(Stamina -60 HP +40)

---

Ashley Fey

Ash tries to remember if she found any floor plans of this place while she was jacked into the computer

Unfortunately, you know very little about this facility that wasn't in your briefing. Your brief jaunt into the system only got you punted by internal security, which does tell you that they have security, but precious little else. You know the facility has numerous levels, and, like most technocrat research facilities, several security checkpoints the further down you go. The trouble is that most of the research facilities that were dug into these moons in the early days are highly modular. So while you can say with certainty that there is needle somewhere in this haystack, you don't know exactly where it is, or how to find it.
    The best bet to find an actual map of the base would probably be one of the security points, but that plan relies on both getting down to a security check and getting through whatever internal security is still working and/or the aberrant bastard's new pets.

---

Dominique Wakeman

Failing that, Dom decided to try something easier: first open the hatch on top of the elevator, because surely it had one, then lift James out through it and back up to here.

Getting yourself down might be too hazardous, but surely pulling him up wouldn't be too bad... Anyway, if you do accidentally hurt him badly you'll be here to patch him up. Not that that's going to happen, hopefully. [Telekinesis 4+1] (-2 stamina)  [Observation 3]
    You carefully extend your will in the simplest motion, only slightly stronger than the first psionic you'd ever used. You probe the surface of the stationary elevator, groping mostly blindly for the access panel. It takes a minute, but finally you close around the familiar flat circle latch of the panel. You release the latch lock gently, hoping for a silent, and surprising, grab. [Heavy Manipulation 4+1-2] (-30 stamina)
    You throw the hatch open and send a hooked rope of questing energy down to grab James with a single thought, trying to make up what time you're going to lose in finding James by being loud and unexpected.
   You don't, however, lose any time finding James. Primarily because he's glowing with the same light-that-is-not-light you saw on the door of the bare office. Less focused, less defined, but definitely the same thing.
   Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, you grab him and pull. [Dom Will 3 Vs Immortal Dex 4, 3, 4] [Immortal Int 4-2, 3-2] You sense two of the immortals turning to look at James as he rises, and for a moment you fear that they're going to dogpile James and stop him by dint of their combined weight. To your grateful surprise, they merely look at James' hovering body with expressions that could be best termed as confusion. They may be big, they may be armored, and they may be mean, but they are also about as bright as yesterday's lunch.

That little victory is stolen swiftly when James somehow manages to slip out of your psionic noose after you've hoisted him halfway. You manage to catch him again by his ankle before he starts really falling, but he's still inexplicably slick. [Intuition 4] You may not know a lot about this kind of thing, but it's not rocket surgery to say that the slickness has something to do with the glow that surrounds him. 

---

Taric Sizier

Shut the system down, go find Dom.

With everything you need for now in hand, or rather, in head, you finally shut down the beleaguered system. It flickers fitfully for a couple seconds after you send it off, but eventually the damaged emitters go quiet and plunge the room back into darkness.
   Hmm... You hadn't thought about that. This might be tricky.
    Jake continues to snore on the wall, apparently catching up on lost sleep now that he's "safe" alone with you. You shrug and make no move to wake him. He'll wake up when he wakes up, and hopefully he'll have the good sense to stay put until someone comes to get him.
   [Observation 2+1] You fumble your way to the wall and feel your way from there, groping the wall in a mightily lewd manner before finding the maintenance hatch. Dom, thankfully, left it open. If it had been closed you don't know what you would have done. [Dex 2] You climb down into the duct in only the loosest sense, mostly relying on gravity to get down and on the floor to stop you. [Soak 2] (-5 Hp) Your kneecaps heartily disapprove of the maneuver.
   You pick yourself up and right yourself, peering into the total blackness as if it made a difference. Huh, well, Dom isn't immediately down the ladder. That rules out one of a couple thousand possibilities. You call out, [Speech 1] but the only sound that returns is a warped echo of your own voice.

It is very dark, and it occurs that you don't really have any idea how to get back. Bloody women, always running off without a word. Would it have killed her to wait for the couple minutes that it took you to find the information you needed? Noooo, princess biceps has to go running off to do battle with something... Probably off finding something else to eat, curled into a corner with that 'book' of hers.

---

James Evan

James sighed, stepped in, and shot at the thug, if he was there, then quickly ducked back in, sticking a foot out if anyone but the Blight came through the doorway.

To heck with it all, time for plan B: walk in, shoot everyone, repeat step two as necessary. An ambush might be more tactically sound, but honestly, you don't give a rat's furry hiney over tactically sound right now. Maybe when your brain is less occupied.
   You walk softly but quickly with your companion, stopping in front of the all too familiar door and signing for a three second count. Well, you sign for a three second count like you've seen them sign in the movies, you honestly aren't sure how people who actually do this for a living do it.
    Three...
       Two...
          One....
     [Strength 5] You slam the door open with resonating force, locking shoulders briefly with Her as the two of you simultaneously occupy the door and open fire.  [Quickshot 4+1+1] (Confirm Critical 2 Vs 4) Your first bullet strikes the unarmored thug low in the side, just a little to the left hitting something important. (Figment 1 - 15 HP) [Blight Quickshot 4+1+1] (Confirm Critical 2 Vs 3) Blight's bullet also strikes the unarmored thug, tearing a line across his thigh that scarcely misses clipping open the femoral artery. (Figment 1 - 16 HP)
    The technocratic figments stare at you in surprise and pain. [Figment will 4-1, 2-1-1] The armored rifleman is able to get into a firing position with commendable speed, but the wounded thug simply crumples, clutching his bloodied leg and screaming.
    Your compatriot pulls back to take cover beside the door, and you follow suit swiftly. You are not terribly anxious for a repeat of what happened last time you did this.

(Next turn, James Initiative +20, Blight initiative +20, Thug initiative -50, Trooper Initiative -10)

---

The elevator

In silence, the elevator begins to slowly fall again. The rails hum with energy that tugs briefly at James' body armor, but, thanks to the overpowered investment of energy that Dominique is putting into keeping him afloat, the surge fails to pull him down and swiftly weakens as the elevator descends.
     The gnashing of teeth from the cheated immortals is palpable.

Turn Recap
Taric is De-ossifying is buttocks
James is shooting in sync (and is flying)
Tarran is learning that you might get what you ask for, if you pay
Dominique is lasso'ing a slippery James.
Ash is thinkin' 'thangs

Jordan is resting
Harry is resting

Other Events
The elevator has resumed movement
Tarran Will be encumbered as soon as the gravity goes back to earth normal
James is about ~25 feet from the top floor elevator doors, sustained by Dom. (30 Stamina per turn min.)
Tarran is Tired

Relevant Items
Memory Stick (Dom)
Broken Pad (Taric)
Ident Badge -Pyotr Ivanov- (Taric)
Ident Badge -Kira Masse- (Tarran)
Unpowered Pad (Tarran)

Spoiler: Enemies (James) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPC (James) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Companions (Ashley) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Taric Sizier (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Dominique shut out the outside world to focus her entire being into getting a firm hold on James and hauling him back up to safety. His life depended on her now even more than it did a moment ago, and she wasn't going to let him - or the team - down.

(I'm using however much stamina it's going to take to move him up and onto safe ground, even if it ends up costing me all of it.

Also, wanted to say thanks for downgrading the HM to TK so I didn't waste stamina or otherwise mess up my action. ^^^)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:31:08 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Holy crap, that actually turned out pretty well. Near full health!

"Agh... just a bit of pain Tarran. Get over it. It's only for a few seconds. So, does anyone have a plan yet?"

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

James ran out towards the cell with the... thing and ushered the Blight towards it, luring the trooper out so when the trooper came in sight he could shoot the trooper in the face.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile

Give the big girl a bit more time, then start the search for another way down
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am not dead, kinda wish I was right now, but I'm not dead. Fixed my computer on the 25th, got all the parts together and it works great. I went out to grab a bite to eat at Joes, celebrating the successful repair of a much needed piece of gear. Unfortunately my good humor outweighed my good sense and I ordered a rare cooked burger in a college town Eskimoe Joe's. I got back on solid food the day before yesterday and I've been in the progress of unclogging my e-mail and everything else that I've been neglecting in the intermediary period of worshiping the porcelain gods.

Moral: Don't eat anything that isn't burnt beyond dead when you live in a college town. The students who work there are no more sanitary than you are.

I'll run a turn for this tomorrow. Hopefully you all haven't forgotten who I am.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

DRAIGNEAN! ;-; I'm happy to see you back, dude. I'm glad you're feeling better.
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 602