Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526462 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Well, she has a big ass bodyguard to help her... Both of which have traits assigned to make them nigh-impossible to subvert without mindbreaking torture, or the exact right incentive.
But certainly they have the heart to not kill a friend without being told why by their leader, right? Or are they cold hearted robots just pretending to be semi-human?

They are soldiers. "Why" is something to discuss when you're a great deal more drunk and none of your COs are in the room.  Powder is a threat, even passively. He is supplies in enemy hands.

Short Version: Yes, they'll kill him.

What up? And I mean that in the "What additional up can be gained?" sense , not "How are you?" sense.
Methinks you misread what he said.

He said that he thought the guys in the elevator were going up, and not down.

I don't believe that I did misunderstand. My wonder relates to where he thought the immortals were going. What up there even was in the elevator shaft for them to use.

Are we talking, force open the door, leap daringly out onto the elevator shaft wall, and attempt to use your mechanical skills to interfere with a rail while hanging on for dear life.
I must say dear sir that is a very bad idea.
[/quote]

I never said it was a good one, though anytime I use the phrase "for dear life" in any plan I suggest, it's probably a bad idea.

Or are we talking, force open the door, then shoot bullets out of our guns until we hit something important.
This also is a very bad idea.

Draignean: GM of Bad Ideas.

That's a little redundant now, don't you think? It should probably just be substituted for GM by itself.

More seriously, a bad idea is only a bad idea when you fail, otherwise it's known as a heroic gambit.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile

I thought the immortals were going in the non existent up direction because i suck at reading apparently, and i was more thinking Harry's staggershock implants, electronic shocks tend to interfere with electro-magnets
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

They are soldiers. "Why" is something to discuss when you're a great deal more drunk and none of your COs are in the room.  Powder is a threat, even passively. He is supplies in enemy hands.

Wow, they are cold. Possibly colder than me, Dom, James, or Taric.

More seriously, a bad idea is only a bad idea when you fail, otherwise it's known as a heroic gambit.
"Jumping out of a spaceship in space with no parachute and a thin vacuum suit, glancing off of enemy ships while planting explosives on them while under fire from them, sliding down a mountain to slow down my fall, and landing in a lake to stop my fall is only a bad idea when it fails."

Right... :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, they are cold. Possibly colder than me, Dom, James, or Taric.

Colder than Taric? Surely you must be joking, Mr. Smith.

Anyone can kill in cold blood, given the motivation. Ash's team are working on both revenge and desperation, and they're up against something much Much bigger than they are.

The psychological damage from killing another human being is mitigated by justification, motivation, training, and distance.

Plus there was that time you shoved a SMG in the face of a Technocrat who was about as much threat as a happy puppy. I don't think you can call morality on this.

(As an interesting aside on the morality of homicide, there is a book called "On Killing" that you might enjoy.)

"Jumping out of a spaceship in space with no parachute and a thin vacuum suit, glancing off of enemy ships while planting explosives on them while under fire from them, sliding down a mountain to slow down my fall, and landing in a lake to stop my fall is only a bad idea when it fails."

Right... :P

Damn straight, if you succeed on that you're awesome beyond all belief. It's just the odds against your survival are unimaginably high.

Heroic Gambit doesn't preclude bad idea, it merely overrides it.

I thought the immortals were going in the non existent up direction because i suck at reading apparently, and i was more thinking Harry's staggershock implants, electronic shocks tend to interfere with electro-magnets

That would probably work temporarily, but would still require a great deal of dangerous leaning just to contact the near pair of rails.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Plus there was that time you shoved a SMG in the face of a Technocrat who was about as much threat as a happy puppy. I don't think you can call morality on this.
Really? When was this? I can't seem to remember. ???
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Probably near the start, when you were a terrorist instead of a rebel like we all are now. :P Maybe it was the guy Taric was trying to get you to shoot, Peter I think?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What? When was I not a rebel? My character has always been resisting the technocrats. Which is the first and second definition of rebel.

And I'm not sure it was Peter, was it? Do you have the post or something?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Obviously you don't understand jokes based on semantics. :P Before we all joined the Unchained, the other characters (aka 'normal/average' citizens, despite their quirks) would have seen Smith as a terrorist; now that they're all on the same side, they're just rebels. And no, I don't have the post. That's why I said 'probably near the start' and 'I think his name was Peter.'
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But... I'm pretty sure I was always with the Unchained from the start of the game. I picked the Freedom Fighter profession.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The one Trol had brainlocked. You just put him down at the end of the fight.

But... I'm pretty sure I was always with the Unchained from the start of the game. I picked the Freedom Fighter profession.

SC is right, Freedom Fighter isn't the same as Unchained. Freedom Fighters are independents, the Unchained are a (mostly) unified force. You have been on friendly terms since the beginning, and they would have been more than happy to let something fall off the back of a truck for you, but you weren't one of them.
Hell, even now you've got a fairly sporadic track record as an undercaptain.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The one Trol had brainlocked. You just put him down at the end of the fight.
At the tower with... Dwarmin, or whoever was the boss? That fight?

He did shoot at us, did he not?

I believe killing someone who tried to kill us and could possibly attempt to again if we let him isn't that bad of a moral decision.

SC is right, Freedom Fighter isn't the same as Unchained. Freedom Fighters are independents, the Unchained are a (mostly) unified force. You have been on friendly terms since the beginning, and they would have been more than happy to let something fall off the back of a truck for you, but you weren't one of them.
Hell, even now you've got a fairly sporadic track record as an undercaptain.
Ah, you might want to clarify that in the first post then. Because these bits:
...The Unchained: The common name for the freedom fighters...
...Freedom Fighter
Background: Okay, you aren't really the most important member of your organization... ...and the Unchained only need to call and you'll answer.
Affiliation: -2 Technocrats, +2 the Unchained
Can cause people to end up with untrue conclusions such as mine.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:25:00 pm by Tarran »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Oh, really I thought Freedom Fighter was Unchained, and thats why I put April as an Unchained in her waitlist app.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe killing someone who tried to kill us and could possibly attempt to again if we let him isn't that bad of a moral decision.

A bit before the tower, four person ambush when Saun was still alive. Man was helpless, so the kill is still cold blood.  Not that I disagree with you, I just would have waited until he was of no more use.
Which is probably a bit colder.

But hey, I killed James' friend by having a psionic torturer torment his mind until the man chewed through his own wrists. There probably isn't any doubt left that I'm a cold bastard.
    ...The Unchained: The common name for the freedom fighters...

...Freedom Fighter
    Background: Okay, you aren't really the most important member of your organization... ...and the Unchained only need to call and you'll answer.
    Affiliation: -2 Technocrats, +2 the Unchained

It's tomaeto tomahto for the most part. Though I can understand the misconception, the faction post and the name on the profession sheet did tend to link the two up. More plainly, all Unchained are freedom fighters, but not all freedom fighters are Unchained, that, however, would be semantics to the general public.

Of course, I think the part about the drinking and throwing crap in maintenance kinda makes it plain that you aren't part of any real group, particularly in addition to the last line.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course, I think the part about the drinking and throwing crap in maintenance kinda makes it plain that you aren't part of any real group,
What, so you're saying there can't be some losers on groups that do just that? :P

In addition, that could also mean that a group is just laying low. Especially if that group likely does not have the firepower to take on their enemies.

particularly in addition to the last line.
It could just mean that you're a sleeper, part-time member, or a member that only comes when they are in need.

Finally, the most important part is the part that it says "Okay, you aren't really the most important member of your organization" in the first line, which makes it sound as if you are part of a real group.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:22:44 pm by Tarran »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course, I think the part about the drinking and throwing crap in maintenance kinda makes it plain that you aren't part of any real group,
What, so you're saying there can't be some losers on groups that do just that? :P

In addition, that could also mean that a group is just laying low. Especially if that group likely does not have the firepower to take on their enemies.

particularly in addition to the last line.
It could just mean that you're a sleeper, part-time member, or a member that only comes when they are in need.

Finally, the most important part is the part that it says "Okay, you aren't really the most important member of your organization" in the first line, which makes it sound as if you are part of a real group.
Everyone in the Unchained is laying low, it's not exactly as if you can do anything else. However, Consumption of monitored substances and civil disturbance/littering isn't the way to do it.

Part-time? There is no such thing as a part-time revolutionary, they aren't union.  ;D Sleepers... well, anyone who would be a sleeper would probably be far too important for you to start as. The unchained are weak as a baby's breath back earth, loose nets of freedom fighters, sympathetic workers, and malcontents that don't actually have any ties outnumber the official group many times over.

Organization was probably too strong a word, but "your Commune" just didn't have the right ring to it. :P Eh, it's a preference thing.  I word my statements and descriptions loosely. Had I not, Powder probably wouldn't have put his reserve character in as an unchained, a faction which he can join at start now because our protagonists are on good terms.

Interpret as you will, anytime two people take a look at something worth seeing they'll come away with two different impressions. I've attempted, with varying degrees of quality, to craft a future for you to look into. What you see is (roughly) what I meant you to see, but that doesn't make it the same thing I saw when I made it.
Better for everyone to live in their own dream than to force you to live strictly mine.

Of course, when it comes down to things that effect what you can or cannot do, then things have to get a little sharper for sanity's sake. But, for the most part, (unless you notice a plot hole, then you should run around screaming) the ambiguity is yours to determine the kilter of. Asking m  you the viewpoint of the writer, and that is necessarily limited viewpoint.
Not to say that I don't enjoy answering questions.  :D

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:59:33 pm by Draignean »
---
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 602