Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 527024 times)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2 Friendly fire is a misnomer.
« Reply #6765 on: March 15, 2012, 05:51:27 pm »

Quote from:
All the stuff that happened since my last post

I love this Thread
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: March 15, 2012, 08:25:00 pm »

Yeah, how were they to know that he was unconcious and incapable of answering. If he was in such a state, he should have said something! That's the lines I reckon they were thinking along.
If that's what they were thinking, then I have a feeling that they wouldn't have the ability to improvise like a "particularly bright cocker spaniel"... Considering they had to drag him down a long hallway. Unless their brains are massively lopsided in that respect.

They were given a directive, take you guys on a nice little tour. You delayed, thus sticking the tiny portion of their brain dedicated to independent thought in the same spot with nothing to do but request status updates. Considering the fact that the answer changed (from "No" to "..." the part of their brain capable of deciding what to do chose to interpret that as a positive.

They are biosuits, they are not geared for exhaustive or abstract thought.

Imagine that the particular cocker spaniel in question wants a ball, you tell him he can't have the ball, then you leave the room. The cocker spaniel (unless rigorously trained otherwise) will then proceed to ask (in the way of dogs) to have the ball. If you do not actively say no then the cocker spaniel will take the ball and go play, happy that you have 'decided' to give it the ball.

I'm bored, so I think I'll try my own analogy even though everyone already got it. :P They're like my computer. My computer downloads an update automatically and asks if I want to restart it to complete the installation process. I tell it 'no' and then wander away to do something that takes awhile, like help my grandfather cut wood. The computer asks again if I want to restart it, and since I don't click 'no' in the five minutes it allots, it takes that as a 'yes' and restarts it.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:32 am »

Ah sleep. How I missed you.

Well now that I've caught up on a week's worth of lost rest it's time to start doing things that are actually interesting.

RtD drives, Engage.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: March 18, 2012, 12:34:47 pm »

Well now that I've caught up on a week's worth of lost rest it's time to start doing things that are actually interesting.
Hooray! And the crowd went wild.

RtD drives, Engage.
Ninja drives, Engage!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: March 18, 2012, 01:22:09 pm »

Ah sleep. How I missed you.

RtD drives, Engage.
Imminent tidal wave of awesome, evacuating to safety
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: March 18, 2012, 01:27:25 pm »

Okay, seriously Draignean, this game started in February 2011, and it has four hundred and fifty-two pages. Nowhere to Run, started four months later, has a magnificent forty-four. Presumably turn numbers have gone similarly. It's not right you can keep up an updating schedule like this. Even if these pages are filled with discussion and offtopicness, the game's still mindnumbingly gigantic.

In other news, today marks my third try to read all of this. Previous attempts got a few dozen pages in before I gave up, if I remember correctly (that was, like, last year). This time I just got hypnotized by the character/villain sheets and gun stats and accumulated lore* and gave up before the first game post! And yet this is so amazing I keep trying again and again.

(*In my defence, those are very cool and flexible creation systems and very interesting pieces of lore.)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: March 18, 2012, 02:31:11 pm »

i read it all, and followed it from beginning (i made the mistake not to sign up, so many rtds were abandoned right then so i said nah)
but hell, ive forgotten about all that is Powders entry, trol granes bodys death (only remember Trol granes body latched onto face)
and about 10-20 pages before that, and i cant read trough it again
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: March 18, 2012, 04:26:07 pm »

Okay, seriously Draignean, this game started in February 2011, and it has four hundred and fifty-two pages. Nowhere to Run, started four months later, has a magnificent forty-four. Presumably turn numbers have gone similarly. It's not right you can keep up an updating schedule like this. Even if these pages are filled with discussion and offtopicness, the game's still mindnumbingly gigantic.

In other news, today marks my third try to read all of this. Previous attempts got a few dozen pages in before I gave up, if I remember correctly (that was, like, last year). This time I just got hypnotized by the character/villain sheets and gun stats and accumulated lore* and gave up before the first game post! And yet this is so amazing I keep trying again and again.

(*In my defence, those are very cool and flexible creation systems and very interesting pieces of lore.)

:P Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the old girl. I've had some bad days where the turns pretty well reflect that, but on the whole it is turning out rather well. One day I'll have to write up a synopsis for the people joining us late. On another -but still related- note, I've actually meant to waitlist for Nowhere to Run for a while, but I was never sure I'd have the time. Is the waiting list still just Adwarf?

In other news the turn was delayed by the offer of Italian food with a couple friends, and I've never been able to turn down good Italian food. (And Oklahoma has surprisingly awesome Italian restaurants.) However, I can tell you that there has been a loud explosion and that the only natural six thus far was made by an inanimate object.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: March 18, 2012, 04:28:05 pm »

...I blew something up, didn't I?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: March 18, 2012, 04:30:29 pm »

However, I can tell you that there has been a loud explosion
Let me guess, one of us is getting hurt by it?

and that the only natural six thus far was made by an inanimate object.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: March 18, 2012, 05:33:36 pm »

...James doesn't like his body being described that way.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: March 18, 2012, 06:05:41 pm »

Chances are it's not your body and instead it's a piece of metal that flies straight into someone's brain.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: March 18, 2012, 06:11:59 pm »

Spoiler: initiative (click to show/hide)

Tarran Smith

Reload my rifle and speedloader. Then shoot down the hallway with my Chimera without looking.

Harry certainly has a point about snipers, add that to the fact that Ash's group is lighting you like a beacon and you decide it prudent to duck the rest of the way behind the wall. [Dex 3+1] You slip another round into the Ichneumon and its speedloader, you're not going to use it again for a moment but you don't want it to come up empty when you do need it.   
   Grimacing at it in a way that more than suggests your desire for a bigger gun you pull the only weapon that you can fire from around the corner without exposing most of you to perforation.  The mismatched chimera doesn't seem terribly hurt by your dissatisfaction. [Improbable Aiming Skills 4: Penalties Negated] [Fire Control: 4+1] Sparks fly everywhere as the short barreled machine pistol spits out bullets with wild abandon, sending a surprising number of them down the corridor and into the kneeling Immortals. (Immortal 1 Armor -2, -2, -5, -2) (Immortal 2 armor -1, -3, -6) (Immortal 3 Armor -6, -1)

---

Jordan Grey

Jordan slips one of Harry's grenades out, tossing it softly to Ashley. "I hope you have a good arm, otherwise we'll be giving them a very pretty fireworks display," he mutters as he flattens himself back against the wall of the corridor.

(Immortal Sniper 3 Action Lost, No opportunity)

---

Ashley Fey

"Harry, I am going to take a chance with one of the grenades, After i do throw that lamp as hard as you can!, towards them, jordan just keep you're head down, harry dont look when you throw, they have snipers" Ash then throws an incendiary grenade down the hall without looking

You take the grenade from Jordan and bounce it a couple times in your hand to get the feel of it. One good throw and you can turn this fight around, scatter them a bit and give your men a chance to close in for the kill. One bad throw and you're at square one, possibly less.
   The number of times you've gambled against Death and managed to pull a winning card is pretty high, and everyone has to pull a loser sometime.
[Str 4+1] But not today.
   You pop the detonator and throw the grenade blind, spinning your body into the wall just to impart a few extra feet of force to your throw. The little metal sphere flies away, bouncing a couple times off walls and floor in the unseen corridor. [Luck 4] The ball rolls to a slow stop approximately ten feet in front of the Immortals, a place where it receives a triple look of surprised disbelief before it detonates. [(No A, No C.) B Explosion force 4] [Immortal Sniper End 3+1, 1 (bonus negated), 2+1] 
   The explosion of light and sound from the HE grenade ragdolls two of the Immortals into the walls of the corridor, cracking metallic chitin and rupturing things that are best left intact. Only the immortal in the center of the hallway had the brains to throw himself flat on his back before the grenade went off, preventing part of the abuse endured by the other two.
(Immortal 1 Armor -44) (Immortal 2 Armor -66 HP -42) (Immortal 3 Armor -67 HP -7)

Immortal 1 has lost target, Immortal 1 is stunned. Immortal sniper 1's prepared action is interrupted.
Immortal 2 has lost target, Immortal 2 is stunned, Immortal 2's host-body connection is damaged. (Requires will roll to act each round) Immortal sniper 2's prepared action is interrupted.
Immortal 3 has lost target, Immortal 3 is stunned.

---

Harry Nakamuno

Picking the lightstand up like a javelin in the fading light of the explosion, Harry powers on his samson implants and hurls the lamp down the corridor. [Str 3+1] Cybernetically enhanced muscles hurl the aerodynamically impaired lightstand on its first flying lesson, [Lamp integrity 6] sending it on an illuminating skid across the corridor. The pool of light created by the scuffed orb lamp just falls to the edge of the three momentarily disabled Immortals, affording the group a shadowy look at their oozing enemies.   

---

Immortal Skirmishers

The three heavier immortals continue running from the fight, the sacrifice of the others is small and necessary, their burden is far more important than saving the temporary bodies of their fellows. They must take this one to see the Father, as it was decreed, so it shall be.
   [Dex 3, 3, 4] Their three man carry continues to make good time, jogging past the breach and continuing on a little ways. Not far now.

---

Dominique Wakeman

Dominique considered the choices. Moving too far away on her own didn't sound like a good idea, but maybe the other ceiling hatch would lead to a room that she could get out of. Then she could find Tarran and Ash's crew and bring them back here to talk to Jake. Sounds good to me. Dom opened the hatch and poked her head up to look around; if clear, she would enter the room.

You climb halfway up to the maintenance hatch leading to the unknown room, bracing your leg against the rungs below you and slamming your palm heavily into the edge of the hatch. You're going to need a way back the way you came, preferably one that doesn't involve glowing doors or climbing through an unstable and rather jagged iris- you've heard enough horror stories about those things when they're in proper working order.
    The hatch eventually succumbs, clicking together enough to allow you to slide it out of the way and climb up into the room. It looks for all the world like something out of a museum, both walls of the room are equipped with heavy shelves of ivory colored synth-wood and glass that hold dozens of objects and figurines. The door in the east of the room that should lead to the owner's bedroom is partially covered by one of the shelves, while the primary exit remains (at least technically) clear of obstruction.
    As you looks across the seemingly themeless array of objects, ranging from a set tiger sculptures scarcely the size of your pinky's last joint to an old military saber to an oddly twisted piece of what you can only guess to be metal, you really wish you had brought a light. Being able to see the shape of something was a far cry from being able to see how the light played off of it, and it's been years now since you went to see a display like this.

Not that you would have picked to go see this kind of thing if you had known of all the other shit that you had to wade through, but hey, take it while you got it.

---

Taric Sizier

Taric checked through the biosuit project files, as well as looking through the reports for any other weapons research.

You pull the Biosuit division file, tapping your fingers slowly against the desk while the system pulls it up. If these things are going to make a career out of killing you then you need to know something about them, add that to the vision you pulled out of the dying suit's head and you REALLY need to know something about them. The search process stops after a moment, apparently finding more than one matching file. It pauses for a moment, blinks once, then asks: Do you wish to specify a Division?
  You have no idea. You suppose you could ask for all the files, but that could end up giving you all of their genetics research, or the pre-process planning notes, or something equally useless. You halt the search and set it aside for the moment, you can decide what to do with it in a moment, right now you have another idea.
   Waving up another search you key in Weapons Research, hoping to pull something useful on a general search. [Mechanical 3+2] The list it pulls is pitifully small compared to the Biosuit project list, bringing up only three results.

Project CAINE
Project Pandora
Project Hel

---

James Evan

James waited and thought for a moment. He didn't quite seem to be waking up. "In the event that that is technically impossible, we would I suppose take turns? Maybe until you possibly get your own body, and that could probably work with the psychic power these days, whenever one of us goes unconscious, the other would take over."

You consider her offer. The only female that currently fits that description is Dom, who you're pretty sure would mind having crazy girl dumped in her head, and that is supposing you figured out how to dump a crazy mind girl anywhere. Other than Dominique the likelihood of finding a female who isn't using her body is pretty low generally speaking, but it seems even lower than normal in this place.
   That in mind you amend the terms a little, joint custody for your own body seems a pretty generous offer, but what choice do you have? You're caught between a rock and a hard place in this deal. [Diplomacy 4 Vs Will 3]
    She frowns, but then nods slowly. "Deal. But we've still got to find a way to take control from the black."
    "It has control?" you ask, surprised both by her acquiescence and the fact that something like the black (damnit, now she's got you using that name) could even take control.
    "I tried to take control," she said, "after I threw you. Couldn't do it. Your other did a lot to regulate it, without him... I don't know if we can leave," she finished with a shrug. Compared to her normal volatility her calm at killing the one person-thing-whatever that could have helped is rather galling.
    "Alright, how do we stop this thing, or at least beat it back?"
    She shrugs again. "Don't know."

Great, you're stuck in your own head with a girl and a devouring monster that is probably the mental manifestation of a brain fungus. Freud would be proud.

---

Turn Recap
Taric is searching
James has made a deal
Tarran is shooting the bad guys, it must be a fluke.
Dominique is looking at art
Ash is blowing shit up

Jordan is duck and covering
Harry is throwing lights

The snipers are under heavy fire.
The skirmishers are retreating rapidly

Other Events
The Immortals can now be seen.

Relevant Items
Memory Stick (Dom)
Broken Pad (Taric)
Ident Badge -Pyotr Ivanov- (Taric)
Ident Badge -Kira Masse- (Tarran)
Unpowered Pad (Tarran)

Spoiler: NPC (James) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Companions (Ashley) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Taric Sizier (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: March 18, 2012, 06:21:14 pm »

Open all weapons project files (CAINE, Pandora and Hel)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: March 18, 2012, 06:21:54 pm »

Holy crap, me and wolf got some great rolls this turn.

"Let's get them while they're down! It's now or never!"

Aim my Ichneumon at the Immortals. Pop the first one who regains it's senses.
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 602