Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 529728 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2 There is a form to fear, and a shape to madness.
« Reply #5355 on: August 27, 2011, 01:15:41 am »

Would someone tell me why I have Ask Alice stuck in my head? I haven't heard that song in ages. Now for the turn of running. I think.

Wolf. Check. (I think)
Tarran. Check.
Taric Check.
Dom. Check.
James. Czech.

"And the white knight is talking backwards...."

Edit: It's 2:45. I hadn't realized that. Need sleep, will finish in morning. Please do not beat with pointy sticks and large rocks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:47:07 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: August 27, 2011, 03:07:32 am »

Wolfchild picks up a metal pipe
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: August 27, 2011, 03:13:32 am »

Edit: It's 2:45. I hadn't realized that. Need sleep, will finish in morning. Please do not beat with pointy sticks and large rocks.
Okay, I won't beat you with pointy sticks.

*Grabs flamethrower*
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: August 27, 2011, 03:42:54 am »

Leave Draignean ALONE! *starts bawling uncontrollably like a loser*
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: August 27, 2011, 03:44:36 am »

See what you've done?! You've made SC cry! Hope you jerks are proud of yourselves
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: August 27, 2011, 03:45:54 am »

:'( :'( :'(

Although to be fair it's easy to do that. Darvi's accomplished it like thirty times already. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: August 27, 2011, 03:47:34 am »

...I'll be in the battle barge.

:P

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: August 27, 2011, 03:53:26 am »

...I'll be in my bunk. >.>

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: August 27, 2011, 09:46:21 am »

I'll just be mining my fortress OHGODCAVEI

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: August 27, 2011, 10:03:32 am »

...I'll be in my bunk. >.>

You do the strangest things after seeing me get beaten up with a metal pipe and a flamethrower. Hmmm. Though I now realize that there was possibility for misconception in my earlier post...

Well, I'll be writing a turn.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: August 27, 2011, 11:13:16 am »

Tarran Smith

"Taric, shut up. If this really was something nastier, you would be thanking me right now. In combat, you don't underestimate things. For example, a simple thud could be a dog hitting a door or someone sneaking."

"Anyway, I'm going south further, because I literally cannot do anything else back at those rooms. Anyone else who was waiting, feel free to join me. Those who were doing something important, go ahead and head back."

Go south further. To the red light.

What's in that room doesn't look like it needs you, too much tech. You suppose you could go back and explore the unopened rooms of the north section again, but digging through Technocrat underwear draws isn't exactly and appealing way to spend you time. You've got a mission, find the ship, get ship back, probably dick over radio voice in the process. However, considering that you have no current leads on how to pursue said mission you might as well follow this corridor to its conclusion to help get a feel for the shape of this facility.

You call for volunteers and after a moment of silence Harry shoulders his weapon and stands beside you. "Not much to be done, Jordy can take care of Ash while we find something that needs holes in it." You can agree with his sentiment, hacking computers and sifting files is egghead work. Granted you'd landed yourself in the position of becoming a freedom fighter because you were hacking signals and sifting data, but that's beside the point.

Together the two of you advance, considering you ability to see past the edge of James' light you take the lead position. Somewhat disappointingly your trek comes to a rather abrupt end, the hall dead ends not far after the red light. The red light itself is yet another locked door. You'd give a lot to have a plasma torch on you so you could just cut through all these damn doors.

---

Taric Sizier

"Tarran ya wuss, It's not coming any closer..." Continue moving up into the room.

Rolling your eyes at Tarran's ever-expanding mountain of personal shortcomings you walk into the room.  Stepping over the deadheads corpse you're instantly immersed in red and blue light from the holographic interfaces that line both walls. Smiling and cracking your knuckles you head to the south side and carefully step on the tracking mat, scrolling through the panel in attempt to divine what its for. [Int 5+1] Hmm, they're all diagnostic and readout panels for deadheads and their supporting caste of machines. These systems monitor vitals, nutrient feeds, power supply, system link, current alerts, everything. Looking at it doesn't require authorization but to change any of the settings you'll need to crack it or get a password. [mechanics 2+1] No plan immediately springs to mind but you're willing to bet that cracking this system will be easier than trying to run through a guy's personal minefield like you tried before. You have a feeling the security response would be quicker.

[intuition 3+1] On that note where is the security itself, you would have expected the deadhead's cradles to be here at least. You eye the door on the west side of the room with distrust. You know that six of the deadheads have been killed at least, but how many would a security substation contain? Of course the deadheads could be coming from somewhere else and that door could lead to a broom closet, but still... It's a bit of a risk.

---

Ashley Fey

Ash decides that she was doing something important, so continues what she started

Things seem to be under control here, you don't need seven people to hold a hallway. Shrugging you start to walk back to the northern rooms, Jordan seems to be busy fiddling with his rifle and Harry is heading off with Tarran so it looks like you're going to be alone up there. Considering you're armed to the teeth stubbing your toe in the dark is probably more of a problem.

[Observation 4+1] You make it back to the rooms and sit back down in the chair without killing yourself, in part because of your memory and in part because of the faint emergency light still coming from the first room in the hall. You open up the console again, punch in the nonsense password and raise the prism. Then you carefully tap your spinal jack, clipping into one of the terminal's interface ports. You relax every part of your body as you let your mind open, then you start the link itself.

Disembodied again you float in a sea of whispers, a susurrus of a thousand tiny voice moving and talking. Raw information, non-visual and unstructured. [Mechanics 5+1] With a cats cradle hand gesture you restructure it into something more visually useful, a three-dimensional gravity free space, massive free floating objects represent hard data storage, anything moving is a program of some kind, and the thin chains that bind the objects are the in/out feeds.

Well you're in and security doesn't seem to be responding to you as a threat yet, what now? 

---

Dominique Wakeman

Dominique patted James on the shoulder in thanks as she moved past him and kept the Abassy up... until she, too, saw what was causing the noise that had boss on edge. With a quiet sigh of relief, she holstered the gun. Could be worse... she thought when Taric taunted Tarran. At about that point, Ash looked at her and asked if she had a rough night. Dom managed a smile in her direction. "I've had worse. You should see this scar I've got on my..." she trailed off. Taric at least would probably be overly interested in that particular scar. Being defenestrated and having to have someone else pull the shards of glass out is never fun, she thought, frowning as she recalled the incident. That was probably the most embarrassing trip to the doctor she'd ever had. She put her hand on her hip absently. "Anyway, it's probably not a good idea to go to sleep around here."

She turned to James. "So, uh, yeah. Now seems like a good time. There doesn't seem to be any danger and I'm rested up; d'you want me to try and Orient you? We could use another psionic on the team," she said. If James wasn't feeling up to trying it, though, she would just stick with Tarran for now.

Ash left with Jordan, Taric is busy mooning some new piece of pretty and Tarran is down the hall undoubtedly doing captainy things. That leaves you and James with nothing to do. Well, if the earlier theory was correct then he should be like you were, dormant or whatever they want to call it. Considering the fact that you don't have a reverse relativity whatchamacallit on hand you're going to have to do the job yourself if its going to be done at all. Also considering the fact that you aren't too familiar with the part of your abilities that have to do with things other than throwing and breaking thing this could be interesting. When you offer however James accepts without hesitation, well hopefully you won't repay his trust by turning his brain into tapioca. Hopefully.

Okay, you can do this. Tensing your shoulders for some kind of a fight you close your eyes and reach out, searching for James specifically. Considering his proximity this isn't too hard, now for the tricky part. You've never done anything at this stage except when you were sparring with Trol, and that was as different from this as a knife fight is different from surgery. First however you root around in your own skull, trying to pin down the evasive memories of orientation that still elude your conscious thought. [Will 5] It's hard, but you're able to get a handle on the memory without wasting time.

Now you just need to actually do this, without a way to explain it better you take a firm 'grip' of Jame's willing mind, you don't know how to target memories specifically so you're just going to blast it all and hope something stick. Then you brace yourself as you prepare to unlock the memories that your mind decided to hide from your rational thoughts. Damn, if this leaves you drooling on the floor you're going to kill somebody.

[Orientation 6, 3, 4+1, 3, 5+1 Rating 23/30 Great results.] [Shadow 4, Attack Eaten. Oh dear.] Memories come at you like a hurricane as you break the self-inflicted encryption, getting into the machine, minutes of silence and waiting... and then... Time so much time... Days spent in lessons, days turning into months, and months into years. You can feel it inside you, the erosion scar that your own brutal orientation made on your mind. You remember everything in crystal clarity. You remember a fifty-seven year long dream, fifty-seven years where you never sleep, you never eat, you never laugh, you just learn and learn until you can learn no more, and then it makes you put what you've learned to use. You lose track of the thousands you kill and the minds you've broken. The rational part of your brain would tell you that none of those memories are real, unfortunately the rational part of your brain is officially out to lunch. You can feel James sharing the memories as they roll over you, but something's wrong... He isn't suffering from the effects like you are, in fact nothing about him seems to change at all. In a last desperate push to get this done you redouble your efforts, pushing as much of your memory as you can into him before the sheer fatigue these memories cause you begins to wear you down.

After a vicious twenty seconds of psychic struggle you give in, breaking the connection and leaving the part of your mind that stores those memories in the dust. [Will 4] The pain and the trauma fade quickly from mind, the orientation training fades away back into its place at the back of your mind, leaving only an unpleasant dream in its place. You feel tired, [end 4] not as bad as you might have expected but it's still an effort to open your eyes again and remain standing at the same time for a couple minutes.

James regards you with a concerned and somewhat quizzical expression. "What happened, did something go wrong?"

(Dom Stamina -35)
(James you get five points to use between your passive Kinetic and Empathetic disciplines.
James, Perk changed: Shadow to Psionic Shadow.

Psionic Shadow
Description: Thanks to rigorous field application of another psionics memories your constant helpful (and not so helpful) companion has evolved. Your shadow is now quite capable of psionics, he has also picked up a few of Dominique's more charming personality traits.
Effect: James is unable to use active psionics, he can only invest in the passive discipline. The upshot of this is that his active abilities will activate as if they were passives. (Walls, surges, slams, blades, mind bending, etc can now happen instantaneously... and without your consent.)

---

Relevant Items
Memory Stick (Dom)
Broken Pad (Taric)
Ident Badge (Taric)

Spoiler: Loot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Companions (Ashley) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Domninique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Taric Sizier (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: August 27, 2011, 12:07:31 pm »

Dom kept her eyes closed for the moment, pinching the bridge of her nose - right between the eyes, specifically - between the thumb and index finger of her left hand. "...huh? Yeah, no. I don't know, dude. First time I tried to do that to someone else. Maybe that's what it's supposed to be like." SOMETHING had happened, that was for sure, but James seemed even less affected by the experience than Taric had been when they had gotten Oriented as a group. "Damn, but that's exhausting. I feel like I tried to drink two bottles of bourbon and suddenly stand up right after or somethin', y'know? Just this massive, dizzying head rush."

She leaned on the wall for balance and moved her hand up to run it through her hair. "Anyway... do you feel any different?" Even if it hadn't 'took,' at least it looked like she hadn't done any damage to him. That was good. If she was going to fail at it it was much more preferable for it to be the harmless kind rather than the 'oh God where did all this blood come from Dominique' kind. "If not, I could try again, or maybe boss or Taric could try. Messing with other people's brains isn't really my strong side, y'know?" She opened her eyes and managed to focus on James, deciding to wait for an answer before saying anything else.

Also, some of Dom's personality traits? Is James's shadow now a hard-drinking roughneck with a verbal tic of 'or something' who enjoys a good scrap and/or romance novel? :3
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:11:01 pm by SeriousConcentrate »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: August 27, 2011, 12:49:58 pm »

Also, some of Dom's personality traits? Is James's shadow now a hard-drinking roughneck with a verbal tic of 'or something' who enjoys a good scrap and/or romance novel? :3

Pretty much. :P.  Particularly funny considering James is a church boy.

Anyway, next turn will be in a completely different style just to see how it works. (Not whooping llama or anything way out there, just different.)
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: August 27, 2011, 12:52:37 pm »

Crack the password. "Hey, found a deadhead control terminal here!"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: August 27, 2011, 12:55:14 pm »

lol, this'll be fun. If you want help writing for James's shadow just let me know and I'll give you some Dom-like lines. :3 Also, let's see how the new style goes. ^^
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 602