Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 528604 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22 (Sci-Fi RTD) Ch. 2 Immortality and crazy, lots of crazy.
« Reply #3825 on: May 30, 2011, 01:38:12 pm »

Actually, I was thinking along th lines of a deep scrath on the glass of the scope.

The range we're fighint at is within a 100 metres and that registers as close range for me. Your light is only a small torch, and those only work for a few metres before there isn't much change with the lighting.

The sight would have an inbuilt computer so it can process the CTH, eye detection and such. It would only turn on if the user's eye is aiming downrange.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: May 30, 2011, 01:48:21 pm »

Actually, I was thinking along th lines of a deep scrath on the glass of the scope.
Hmmm, good point.

Still, unless you're pointing your gun at a truck going down a gravel road or you're dealing with an asshole who likes stabbing scopes, I really don't see scopes getting scratches all that often.

The range we're fighint at is within a 100 metres and that registers as close range for me. Your light is only a small torch, and those only work for a few metres before there isn't much change with the lighting.
Dude, this is the future. I'm wielding a High Power light. I'm expecting it to be a little more powerful than a car light. These guys are pretty damn far away.

Also, look at the size of the benches. Close range to me would be two-four benches. These guys are tens of benches away.

The sight would have an inbuilt computer so it can process the CTH, eye detection and such. It would only turn on if the user's eye is aiming downrange.
You didn't answer my question.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: May 30, 2011, 01:56:56 pm »

1: It's not that far, I'd say the room at it's largest is 20-30 metres long and wide. A shotgun with buckshot/flechettes would be effective at that range (Accuracy is a different matter)

2: Mind restating it then?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: May 30, 2011, 01:58:49 pm »

2: Mind restating it then?

The holographic would also only turn on when the user's lead eye moved to aim with the firearm,
Wouldn't that lead to the weapon turning on whenever anything moves by the sights? I mean, there's no way for a computer to tell if the object is an eye. It's either turn on whenever anything gets near the sights, or put an implant in the user (which likely costs something too).

AKA: How is the weapon going to differentiate an eye from anything else without implants?

Edit: Also, to put the range argument to an end:

Quote from: Last turn
?
Range: Long

?

?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: May 30, 2011, 02:00:46 pm »

The computer will only activate the sights for the user that's holding onto the grip and trigger and requires eye proximity to the sight projector for the sight to activate.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: May 30, 2011, 02:03:13 pm »

Also, check my edit. They are at long range. Now, no more arguments about the distance of the enemies.

Quote from: Last turn
?

?

?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: May 30, 2011, 02:04:33 pm »

With you anyway.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: May 30, 2011, 02:06:48 pm »

What do you mean by that? ??? I mean, I really doubt anyone is going to try to argue with the GM, since he's the one who initially defined the range of short-medium-long.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: May 30, 2011, 02:10:10 pm »

Pretty sure Taric means they're at a different distance to him than us, but I'm not sure if they are. I'd have to check. :-\
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: May 30, 2011, 02:12:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure the distance to all of us is the same. The quote is without any cuts, and the distance to us is always in the enemy's status.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: May 30, 2011, 03:02:48 pm »

Taric, 100 meters is not close range. For target shooting, or even hunting it isn't that bad, but Shooting a human sized target that's trying actively to not be shot, may be taking cover, and may be shooting back is something else.

100 is the break between the outside of medium and the beginning of long, short is only 35 to 5. Nearly every ballistic weapon gets a pretty damn decent bonus at short range, and most of them get a fair one at midrange as well.

Exactly where I break the range at depends on the conditions, but this is the pretty general version. I broke the range on the long side because the  ECC armor they wear has automatic camo (Weak stuff, like modern military camo not stealth fields), and they're kneeling, so long range seemed more appropriate at the time.

0-5 Melee
5-35 Short
35-100 Mid
100-200 Long
200-500 V.Long

Pistols are hard to shoot, hitting a moving target in the dark would be hell at 100ft, screw 100m.

Integrating rifles and pistols into the same system of measurement is hard to do without basing your range breaks off of your weapon skills and breaking up Rifle, pistols, and heavies up into separate skills. So instead I dropped the specific weapon skills and just used marksman, which only ever comes into play when you're aiming.

Just remember that you are practically shooting off the hip, not actually sighting in, and the range breaks make more sense. The marksman skill is so that when you're actually aiming you hit like you should, but if you shoot cowboy style... Well you better have some damn good reflexes and excellent judgment.

Long range: Would actually be more stealthy at this range due to the lack of scope glare.
On the other hand, it would be glowing green or some other color.

Dude. Honestly? They don't glow, at least not that much, and like I said you can cover the display so it's only visible from your side. Me, I'm with Taric on the holo-sights. Whitedeath is still the most awesome sniper in the world, but I ain't him. I'd take the modern (and certainly beyond) holographics over iron sights any day.

I'd disagree, 100 feet (which I'm pretty sure they're at) is more like medium to long range. Still, ocular implant + holographic sight sounds like win to me, especially since Dom never really aims anyway. It would be a great help to her, I think. ^^

Truly, best of both worlds as long as the implant goes well. Barely anything larger than ironsights on the gun and you can superimpose your weapon's firing arc directly onto your vision.

Course that's assuming your immune system doesn't spaz out and start eating your eyeballs because of the foreign contaminant.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: May 30, 2011, 03:06:48 pm »

What really muddies the water here (Not the literal water in the room :P) is that we din't exactly know the size of the room...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: May 30, 2011, 03:13:22 pm »

That's because I suck at making things to scale.

REALLY.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: May 30, 2011, 03:15:47 pm »

Okay. That solves that question AND makes this base more valuable too :D

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: May 30, 2011, 04:10:16 pm »

Okay. That solves that question AND makes this base more valuable too :D

Why? Because you can teach Cthulu geometry with it?

Just trust me when I declare ranges and distance, ok?  :-\
---
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 602