Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 528327 times)

Trollan

• Bay Watcher
  • O hai!
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22 (Sci-Fi RTD) Chapter I, and then it exploded.
« Reply #255 on: February 16, 2011, 07:05:26 pm »

What exactly was i trying to do with that failed roll?
dont talk, just stay silent and make sure this dude doesn't lie

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2011, 07:24:09 pm »

Ah, so Dominique has precognition? (Pretty sure the Kinetics roll for her had her dodge gunfire.) That'll be useful.  :D

"Wait, what?" Dominique asked, sitting up and paying more attention. "Psionics? Don't that require, like, a big brain or somethin'?" She pointed a thumb at Taric. "I can buy this guy, you're like a hacker right? So you're probably smart enough for that kind of thing." Dom shook her head. "But, uh, being honest here I got stuck with grunt maintenance because I failed my schooling pretty hard." She didn't think she was dumb or anything. She just didn't care much for higher learning, like algebra or how to repair machinery and stuff like that. She was strong and she was sticking to her best point.

"Even if I do have, uh, psychic powers or whatever, how can I tell? I mean can I just like look at you really hard, and make your head blow up or somethin'?" She'd never tried it, but that didn't mean it couldn't happen.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2011, 07:42:22 pm »

"Wait, what?" Dominique asked, sitting up and paying more attention. "Psionics? Don't that require, like, a big brain or somethin'?" She pointed a thumb at Taric. "I can buy this guy, you're like a hacker right? So you're probably smart enough for that kind of thing." Dom shook her head. "But, uh, being honest here I got stuck with grunt maintenance because I failed my schooling pretty hard." She didn't think she was dumb or anything. She just didn't care much for higher learning, like algebra or how to repair machinery and stuff like that. She was strong and she was sticking to her best point.

"Even if I do have, uh, psychic powers or whatever, how can I tell? I mean can I just like look at you really hard, and make your head blow up or somethin'?" She'd never tried it, but that didn't mean it couldn't happen.

Joseph turns so he's mostly facing dom in the Armadillo's cramped interior. "It doesn't matter how smart you are, not for most of it. The smarter people can get pretty creative, but with psionics it's not how well you think but how hard you think. Purpose and determination can break the smartest Adept there ever was. Making people's heads explode is advanced work though, much simpler to crush them. Creating force from somewhere you can't see is hard, even with training and practice. You probably can't tell, and neither of my boys is an empathetic strong enough to check you out. Like I said to Smith though, if you're here there is a near certainty that you are a psionic."

(Also, Precognition falls into Empathetics. Technically what you did was feel what was already there -A gun pointed at your back- not the action before it happens.

Precognition is sensing what nerves in a person's body are firing and interpreting that into what they're about to do.

Hyper-Kinesthesia Is sensing the space around you and realizing what is in it without seeing it.

Breakdown: Precognition is useful if you're already looking at someone, Hyper-Kinesthesia is useful when you don't know if anything is there yet. )
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2011, 08:37:30 pm »

Also serious, as soon as you process an action I'll have the Armadillo Arrive.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2011, 12:15:48 am »

OK, gotcha.

She didn't really get it, but maybe there was something to this whole psionic thing. She DID have a pretty good 'danger-sense.' "I'm still not completely sold on it," Dominique said. Still, he had gotten her curiousity piqued, so she was willing to see where all this was going. For now, it seemed like a long ride, and without anything to really occupy her time she decided to just close her eyes and rest for the moment.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2011, 02:11:23 am »

Inside the Armadillo transport: Cramped, eight seats. Group occupies the middle four, two Unchained soldiers occupy the front pair, and an unchained officer occupies one the remaining seats.

Character: Dominique Wakeman

OK, gotcha.

She didn't really get it, but maybe there was something to this whole psionic thing. She DID have a pretty good 'danger-sense.' "I'm still not completely sold on it," Dominique said. Still, he had gotten her curiosity piqued, so she was willing to see where all this was going. For now, it seemed like a long ride, and without anything to really occupy her time she decided to just close her eyes and rest for the moment.

The rest of the ride won't hold much interest for you, you've got a lot to think over, and you just got jumped a couple light years, shot down, and survived an exploding fusion reactor. A cat nap might do you some good. [End roll 2+1] The seats aren't meant for comfort and the ride isn't long, but you still manage to get a little rest. +5 Stamina

Spoiler: Domninique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

---

Character: Taric Sizier

Try and find a way to improve the beam rifles

You need some time to come to grips with what Joseph has been telling you, while you're mulling over the impossibility of what he's saying you examine the rifles. They're good for what they do, but at longer ranges pretty much anything will outmatch them. These people might appreciate a few new ideas. [Int roll 4+1] Hmm... You think you can make a few modifications to drastically improve the weapon's ranged capability, you'll still have to take apart one of the rifles and examine it for a while before you have anything concrete though.

Research Note Added!

Spoiler: Research Portfolio (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarric Sizier (click to show/hide)

---

Character: Trol Grane

dont talk, just stay silent and make sure this dude doesn't lie

You listen to the man called Joseph go on about psionics and such. You're having a hard time believing it, even as he makes a clip of bullets perform a little aerial ballet for Tarran. [Detect Lie roll 3+1] Against everything you know, you think the man is telling the truth. It's crazy, and he either believes it with a vengeance, or it really is true. There is one bit though, when he talks about having fairly recent records he doesn't sound entirely right, more like he's avoiding something.

Spoiler: Trol Grane (click to show/hide)

---

Character: Tarran Smith

"Eh. Doubt I'll ever use it. Anyway, how long until we get to your base? I'm starting to get a little sore."

Joseph tells you to sit tight for a little bit, and so without much else to do you emulate Dom and try to catch a cat nap. [End 5] All in all the ten minutes you get is one of the better rests you've had in a while, and when Trol touches your shoulder to tell you it's time to get out you feel much better. (HP +3 Stamina +15)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

All, Arrival: After a while the Armadillo trundles to a stop and Joseph motions the two Unchained soldiers out, then you. You find yourself indoors, in some kind of large vehicle garage. There are several other Armadillos in the bays here, as well as a few enclosed teardrop shape vehicles only large enough for a single person that you don't recognize. Joseph Climbs out behind you and bangs on the driver's door, and a tall woman also wearing a Hazard suit steps out. The soldiers waste no time doffing the helmets of their hazard suits, breathing recycled air isn't much more than tolerable for long. Your small group makes its way out of the garage and into the main of the complex, you pass through several heavily bloodstained and scorched corridors, and one group of people still pulling anything useful off of a clump of corpses. The barely spare the time for a nod before continuing their grisly work. It startles you slightly when Joseph speaks suddenly from behind you. "We're heading to the Comms tower, it's our base of operations at the outpost." The way he says 'our' is a little odd. After several corridors and one elevator you reach a room where the two soldiers that precede you flank out and guard either side, leaving you and Joseph to enter the main. It is obviously the main hub of the comms tower, dozens of people hurry about clutching pads and other reports.

The flurry of activity barely stutters as four dirty people in torn and bloodstained clothes and under guard enters the room. You follow Joseph over to a severe looking woman with wisps of gray in her hair. Joseph salutes her. "Matriarch Cassandra, this is the group that the spotters found in the barrens. Several of them have claims of connection to our agents, as well as to anti-Technocratic actions. I would like to request an investigation into the validity of these claims." You think 'Matriarch' Cassandra is one of the least imposing people you've ever met, then she looks at you. Blue so pale it looks grey eyes regard you like chips of frosted steel, you have to fight from taking a step back. "Your request is granted Officer Mary." No wonder the man didn't give you his last name, you wouldn't want to be called Officer Mary either. Joseph nods and takes a step back. The Matriarch turns her gaze to each of your companions in turn, and each of them shudders as her gaze falls away from them. You don't understand why until her gaze falls on you. As you look into her eyes you can feel her mind, her experience, and the raw force of her will burning like the sun. You try to pull away from the connection but you can't move, and delicate mental fingers probe through your mind. You feel like a kitten being examined by an extremely large dog, the mental touches are light and careful but there is no doubt in your mind that she could kill you without ever getting out of the chair. After a moment or an eternity the feeling recedes.

"They are who they said they were." She nods to each of in turn. "Taric Sizier a hacker, he left Tarran Smith to the mercy of an Arbiter for very good reasons. Tarran Smith is one of the few true freedom fighters from back earth, he has done significant things for our cause. Trol Grane, part time dealer and underworld enforcer. He fell off our radar due to the debt problem that kept him from aiding us. The last is Dominique Wakeman, a maintenance worker. She surprised on operative on a sabotage mission in tower H-24, instead of alerting the Technocracy she agreed that it would be best if they both left each other alone. She kept her word." She shakes her head at the mounds of information in front of her. "Officer Mary, take these people through orientation. The ones that survive you should take to the Signifer to get refitted and filled in. Dismissed."

All of you have time for an action before being sent to Orientation, after you get passed that and onto the Signifer things will get open ended again.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22 (Sci-Fi RTD) Chapter I, OH GOD, THE TEXT!
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2011, 02:20:32 am »

"'The ones that survive'?! To hell with that! Leave me alone! I'm not planning on possibly dying for something I don't plan on using! STAY AWAY!"

Run away. Doesn't matter to where, just run like the wind.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2011, 02:21:59 am »

"Hey, I think I can Improve the broadbeam rifles. though that can wait for this "Orientation"."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2011, 02:27:52 am »

Dom wasn't used to being stared down. She wasn't used to having little icicles sliding around the inside of her skull, either. What the hell...? Shit, I didn't even know those tunnels were under a tower. She cocked her head to the side and glanced at her companions. Maybe I did know and forgot about it, and she picked it up when she read my mind? Dominique shuddered. Her thoughts were her own business.

"So, what, we've just been press-ganged into the Unchained or somethin'?" she said, turning to Joseph. "Guess I can't complain, if the people in charge shipped us off obviously they don't want us anymore," Dom muttered, mostly to herself, before returning her attention to the officer. "Anyway, what's this orientation business? Is it like... psionic training?" The idea seemed to freak Tarran out, and she looked over at him. Wonder what his deal is. This 'survive' thing is probably just bullshit to make it seem like it's harder than it really is. I bet I can do it, no sweat. Once she learned how, anyway.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2011, 02:39:02 am »

[Free Actions]

Tarran

You freak out. "'The ones that survive'?! To hell with that! Leave me alone! I'm not planning on possibly dying for something I don't plan on using! STAY AWAY!" The matriarch Turns her gaze to you, and you feel your mind being overwhelmed by her presence once again. [Will roll 5 Vs Dominate mind 4+4 Yeah she's that badass] She speaks in your mind with a voice reminiscent of the Fusion explosion. "You have a choice, either go with Officer Mary and become what you may and at least learn to defend yourself against it, or you will stay here and I will wipe your tiny brain until it only knows how to fetch my meals. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"

---

Taric

"Hey, I think I can Improve the broadbeam rifles. though that can wait for this "Orientation"."

Whilst Tarran is busing freaking you talk to Joseph some about the idea you had for the Broadbeams, he considers it for a moment. "If you make it through orientation you might want to head over to the labs, they'd welcome another hand that has some idea what they're doing. If you could do what you're talking about we would all be grateful."

---

Dominique

Dom wasn't used to being stared down. She wasn't used to having little icicles sliding around the inside of her skull, either. What the hell...? Shit, I didn't even know those tunnels were under a tower. She cocked her head to the side and glanced at her companions. Maybe I did know and forgot about it, and she picked it up when she read my mind? Dominique shuddered. Her thoughts were her own business.

"So, what, we've just been press-ganged into the Unchained or somethin'?" she said, turning to Joseph. "Guess I can't complain, if the people in charge shipped us off obviously they don't want us anymore," Dom muttered, mostly to herself, before returning her attention to the officer. "Anyway, what's this orientation business? Is it like... psionic training?" The idea seemed to freak Tarran out, and she looked over at him. Wonder what his deal is. This 'survive' thing is probably just bullshit to make it seem like it's harder than it really is. I bet I can do it, no sweat. Once she learned how, anyway.

After he's done with Taric you talk to Joseph about the 'Orientation'. He nods, frowning. "That is exactly what it is, we modified the program significantly but the general idea is to give a person roughly ten years of hard training in about twenty minutes. Some people don't take to it well, most people survive." He rolls his shoulders uncomfortably. "One of the Techs can probably explain better, it isn't exactly my field."
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2011, 02:45:12 am »

"All right, I got this." Dominique punched her fists together. "So whattaya want us to do after orientation? 'Cause if you need some materials moved around or somethin' I totally got that covered." A thought struck her and she paused. "Oh, and, you guys got anything to drink? I'm dying of thirst here." She looked around the office, sizing the place up and seeing if there was anything it might be useful to remember.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2011, 02:49:21 am »

"...Maybe? Maybe I understand? I don't know, can you tell-OKAY OKAY FINE I'LL DO IT. You happy now? Jeez. I've had more than enough of getting close to death. Goddammit I just want to relax for an hour. Maybe two. I can't even remember my last damn meal."

Glare at the matriarch annoyed and angrily. Then go to orientation.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2011, 02:51:56 am »

"All right, I got this." Dominique punched her fists together. "So whattaya want us to do after orientation? 'Cause if you need some materials moved around or somethin' I totally got that covered." A thought struck her and she paused. "Oh, and, you guys got anything to drink? I'm dying of thirst here." She looked around the office, sizing the place up and seeing if there was anything it might be useful to remember.

Joseph regards you silently. "You'll be able to eat in the mess after the Orientation, which we'll get to after Tarran finishes his discussion with the Matriarch. We don't generally feed people before they go through the orientation, it creates more problems than it solves. After orientation you'll be given an amount of requisition slips for what you've done for us back in Sol, we'll let you grab what you need at the Signifer and then we'll explain what you can do to help us."

Tarran

The presence of the Matriarch is an excellent motivator. "...Maybe? Maybe I understand? I don't know, can you tell-OKAY OKAY FINE I'LL DO IT. You happy now? Jeez. I've had more than enough of getting close to death. Goddammit I just want to relax for an hour. Maybe two. I can't even remember my last damn meal." you grumble and glare at the woman before stalking off with Joseph.

Guys just give me a minute and I'll post up the Orientation and get you to the Signifers.
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2011, 02:52:24 am »

"I agree with dom, though we may need a bit of medical treatment first." Go to orientation.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2011, 04:08:29 am »

All: Joseph Takes you out of the comms room and down the elevator again, you're going to need a map or a lot more experience to be comfortable navigating this place. After a couple of silent minutes you reach the Orientation room.  The room is huge, and obviously takes up the the top quarter of the dome you saw from the outside. In the center of the room is a large Sphere, and nestled around it is a double circle of pods. Men and woman with scanners and datapads are looking over everything, at the sight of you a wiry flame haired man detaches from the group of techs and jogs over to your group. He shakes all of your hands energetically in turn. "You must be the new arrivals, my name is Tuck. It is a great pleasure to have you through, we haven't been able to get a lot of readings on the relativity sphere since we took control." He gives you a lopsided grin. "Nobody who's already been in it wants to go through again, and it isn't the same when it's doing a dry run. Thank the stars you're here or we might never have gotten another good read." As soon as he stops speaking you take a moment to inquire about what the hell the 'Relativity Sphere' is.

Tuck runs a hand back through his hair before speaking, he looks like he's trying not to explode before he can tell you about it. Joseph groans, apparently he's been through this before. "Come on, I'll tell you about it." Tuck says as he half jogs towards the sphere. "This thing is Technocrat tech at the highest level, we don't have a clue what makes it go. All we really know is what it does, which is in and of itself mind-blowing. The Technocrats used it as a speed training and aptitude test for people who were new to facility, if you had enough willpower to keep it from killing you then you had enough for them to work with. The programs they used also put several layers of subconscious control suggestion onto the people who went in. Cassandra herself took three years to break through it. Our programs lack the control patterns and have a broader focus." He clears his throat before continuing "The Technocrat vanilla programs were designed to train Empathetics, they really didn't know the full potential of kinetics until the revolt. We began corrupting the program little by little so that it taught kinetics to new members as well, the program in the sphere now is our best training program." He's a little out of breath from explaining everything, you feel your eyeballs begin to glaze over. "Now as to how the sphere works -and this is the A-fucking-mazing part- it actually accelerates everything in the universe but it to the speed of light. Or at least, that is the most plausible theory." He laughs. "The upshot of this is that anything inside the sphere experiences extreme time dilation. So you plop yourself into one of the chairs, the chair uploads your experiences and your memory to the synthetic brain inside the sphere, and it teaches the skill to you. Then when the program is done it downloads your mind back into your brain, how Amazing is that?" He throws his hands up, apparently in nerdvana over the entire concept. Your find yourself leaning away from the machine that Tuck said is going to upload your brain.

Tuck pats you on the back with what you think is meant to be reassuring grin on his face. It comes of as manic. "Don't worry, I went through myself. Once your brain sorts out all of the memory it's pretty damn cool, you'll be able to do things you couldn't even think of before. Most people make it through unharmed." You aren't very reassured but each of you settles into one of the chairs around the sphere. A full headset descends over your face, and you feel an electrical tickling. You here Tuck's voice bellowing from above. "Alright, we're about to start it up. Make those scans count, this may be the last run for a while!" You can't see it but you can here the sphere thrumming. A slow deep pulse that vibrates the pit of your stomach. For a couple minutes nothing happens, and then suddenly you're empty. Everything that made you who you are vanishes.

For 17 Minutes, 36 seconds the only reason you breathe or your heart beats was because a machine was telling it to do so. And then you come screaming back into your body. Literally. Your brain and body try to reconcile, but the brain keeps screaming that it was just trapped in a computer for twenty years, while the body insists that it was only just gone. The memories you have are foggy an unclear, but you know more now.

Dominique Wakeman: [End roll 4] You clamber out of the pod, okay... That was... Wow. Not as bad as the jump, but you still feel like you might hurl.

Tarran Smith: [End roll 3] Fuck, you have had it with being put through gates spanning light years and outrunning explosions. This is just too much for any Goddamn person to take. You kneel down outside your pod, you manage to avoid vomiting.

Tari Sizier: [End roll 5] You seem to have an affinity for reality shifting experiences. As you get out of your pod you feel slightly sick as your mind and body sort out where everything is, but you don't feel all that bad. Tired, but surprisingly good.

Trol Grane: [End roll 3+1] Holy shit... Just. Yeah... Holy shit. You don't want to do that again. Ever.

All of you get 5 Points to distribute to the Psionics tree, and only to the Psionics tree.

Spoiler: Psionics (click to show/hide)

All: Joseph decides to forego the Signifer for now, you're all drained from your encounters and from the machine. He shows you a section of beds where you can all sleep, when you wake up you can meet with the signifier. For now though, you rest.

When you all awake you will find a clean black jumpsuit with a broken chain emblazoned on the left breast set out for you. After that, moves are up to you.

Available Areas (For now):

Mess Hall
Signifiers quarters

(I realize this ending is unsatisfactory at this juncture, but I can't find a better way to get through ALL THE DAMN EXPOSITION. Serves me right for trying to put in a plot.  :o  )

COMING SOON: A map of the structure! A list of Psionic abilities! Food! New clothes! Real weapons! Combat!

---
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 602