Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 527219 times)

Nunzillor

Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Disease of the Mind
« Reply #8460 on: December 05, 2013, 12:49:34 pm »

Very interesting.  I had no idea that whales needed a shave every now and then.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: December 05, 2013, 12:59:02 pm »

((Well, have you ever seen a bearded whale?))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Nunzillor

« Reply #8462 on: December 05, 2013, 03:39:12 pm »

Good point.  All thanks to Draignean's efforts I assume.

Edit: nayme spelled wrnog
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:57:50 pm by Nunzillor »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: December 07, 2013, 12:44:38 am »

Good point.  All thanks to Draignean's efforts I assume.

Edit: nayme spelled wrnog

*Handwave*

((Everybody does it. Draignean itself is a corruption of the original gaelic, so it really doesn't matter.

EDIT: Oh, and the turn is inbound tonight. Or technically tomorrow. Soon. Not SoonTM))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: December 07, 2013, 02:21:40 am »

Ashley Fey

Let Emily know that Ashley will consider whether she needs to kidnap some prisoners and will let Dom or the IS know at a later time.

Also, ask Emily if Teras station contains a communications array comparable to the one that Ashley and company recently destroyed.

You politely neither confirm or deny your desire for random technocrat convicts. Harry looks at you a little oddly, but shrugs it off. Most likely,  he expected you to immediately reject the offer of post-experimentation refugees, but you like to keep your options open. Not that you can really see when that particular option would be useful.
   Addressing Dominique's IS on an even footing makes you feel a little unlike yourself, but you stomach it and inquire as to whether Dominique's station has a suitable comm array.
   "Yes," Emily replies immediately, "Teras station has two communication arrays, one reserved for military and special Church messages, one tapped into the main nexus. We have the reference signal for Teras station if you would like to open a receiving link. An outgoing connection will, however, be impossible at this range."
    "Might be good to be in on the chatter," Harry says, frowning in contemplation. "At least it would give us an idea whether we might be able to Waltz in and 'borrow' their array for a couple minutes."
    You nod, and Emily takes that as sufficient assent to patch you to the general channel.

You expected a hubbub of noise, voices and machine signals from a hundred different independent signals within the channel's domain, but what greets you when Emily locks the channel, is silence. The general communications channel for an orbiting research station is dead silent. [Intuition 11+1] You shake your head. That can't be all there is, there has to be something else in the signal that you're using to crude a reception method to detect.
[Mechanical 15+1]  You don't know exactly what you're looking for, but you walk Emily through a couple methods to boost the gain and sift through each individual thread of the general channel. Eventually, you find something.
  Technically, it's not actually an independent signal, it's a feed echo from somewhere else on Teras station that's bleeding through into a channel, but, considering the content, that would be splitting hairs.

"...breached. All non-security personnel report to evacuation levels of hangars one and two. Security personnel proceed to assigned checkpoints. This message repeats. The hot-labs have been breached. All non-security personnel...."

Well, the good news is that they probably won't mind you borrowing their array for a bit.

Spoiler:  Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

---

Dominique Wakeman

Dom eyed the open bar. She would dearly love more than a few shots right now to steady her nerves, but showing up with even a bit of alcohol on her breath probably wouldn't help her cover any. And being drunk probably wouldn't do her any favors either. She sighed and leaned back. "Emily, mind giving me some of the files of the other 'patients' at Teras station, so I can get an idea of what I'll be working with here?"

If Emily acquiesces, Dom spends the turn looking at those files.

"Limited information is available outside of the request patient files," Emily says, "but I will add all available documentation to your device."
   A light blinks on your borrowed pad almost immediately, and you spend the next several minutes scanning through the new files. [Observation 16] You go over the information in exacting detail, using what time you have to familiarize yourself with Teras station and its occupants.
   There appears to be no clear pattern as to the background of the patients. They're all roughly in their prime, the youngest file you have being a twenty year old maintenance slugger, and the oldest being a fifty-seven year old ex-technocrat. The only thing that remains mostly stable between them is that their deviation is always eleven or above, no inherent mental or physical disorders are present. You note that the Deviation-22 designation is completely absent. An interesting, and somewhat disquieting aside, is that most of the other test subject have violent and/or criminal pasts. Not little stuff either.
   Among the additional documents that Emily sent you is a general layout of the station, clearly meant more for reference purposes than navigation. However, since it's the only thing you've got, it's probably going to end up being useful. You mark it away for later use.
   "Ashley can neither confirm nor deny her need for extraneous rescues at this current time," Emily says suddenly, interrupting your research.
   You really need to set up way to let you know when Emily is 'nearby', if such a thing is even possible...

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)
---

James Evan

In the middle of combat, James didn't have a lot of time to think. But close range came pretty naturally to him, and the Irin had obliterated the thing's armor, so...
James fires his shotgun at the Wight and if he has time punches it with his punch-gun hand.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

You haul back on the trigger again, [Melee 1 (Bonus negated) Vs Wight dodge 16] [Strength 1, Bonus negated] [Luck 1]  but the synthetic is already moving. The flat of one the Technocrat's arm blades slaps across the Irin, sending it spinning out of your hands.
    As the technocrat glides back into a striking position, you notice a subtle change in the way it moves. It seems more controlled, more precise, and more deadly. [Melee 4+4+1, 19+4+1 Vs 13, 16] [Confirm Critical Finesse 2 Vs 18, Confirm failed] The change isn't so subtle when it strikes at you. You dodge the first blurring blade mostly on luck, but the second one slashes across your chest before you can even see it coming. [Brawl 11+1]  (Shield -10, Armor -7, HP -7. 1 Negated) The slash is thin, but, considering how fast this thing is moving, rather frightening. (Wight -20 charge)

(irin shotgun has been flung to the north of you)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)

---

Tyrin and Anna

Support Tyrin and follow the Marshal's plan. Link up with the others and Tyrin if he agrees. Once successfully linked up, use our willpower to set a mindbar covering everyone who is in the link if we aren't already suitably protected by the link.

If we are attacked, use control on the Destroyer and have it fire on his own team to drive them into our trap! Follow up with a level 4 surge on that sharpshooter and see if an override can make one of those troopers turn their head hard and sharp enough to snap their own neck. If we are attacked with psionics, lash out with a Neural Feedback +5 to show them we mean business.

Invisibility? That's a good plan, either way. Argh..cursed heat weapons.

Thank you Anna.

Follow the Marshal's plan and aim to disable/weaken than kill. Only fire when the others retaliate. Do a quick patch-up on either myself or any allies--whoever has the lowest 'hp' or seems to be in need of it more.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)
   The unchained ready themselves for contact, Tiruin limbering his rifle, Feuer falling into the martial trance of a skilled psychic, and Anna linking with the two remaining psionics. By rank and strength, Anna leads the link, taking control as both of the other psionics submits the majority of their will to her. A heartbeat of pain and disorientation accompanies the connection, the after-shock of the separate systems falling in line. Three heartbeats synchronize, three pairs of eyes see as one, three wills converge. The link isn't one unified mind made from three, but three minds working to support a single purpose. A purpose that the technocrats will regret crossing.

Damien attempts to warn the other soldiers against the ambush he's sure is coming. [Talking 1] [Luck 14] He might as well have warned stones. The Destroyer acknowledges the broadcast, but Damien would have been surprised if the soldier actually internalized any part of the warning. Technocrat soldiers, the ones that weren't glorified conscripts, were soldiers for a reason. They believed in one direction, had little capacity for individualism, and tended to have an intelligence roughly on par with girders. Damien waited until the other soldiers started moving before falling in behind, checking his weapons compulsively and readying himself for the inevitable.
  [Morale 13+1+2] The infantry moves forward rapidly, surging over the smoking field in order to take over the unchained's position. The wounded trooper takes point, with the Destroyer and the other conscript following closely. The sniper and the sharpshooter bring up the rear, carefully reloading their weapons, and, in the case of the sniper, shaking off the effects of the psychic assault.
  [Trooper, Destroyer, Trooper, Sniper, Sharpshooter| Observation 7, 13, 16, 8+1, 11+1 Vs Feur Shroud 18+2-3] [Control 13+1]  (Feuer -25 stamina) The destroyer and the troopers check the corner quickly, weapons ready. [Intuition 19] To their credit, they don't fan out into the giant and incredibly suspicious clearing when they don't see the unchained. Instead, they move in to take the shallow trench, sticking mostly to a combative formation.
  Damien [P.Kinetics 17] feels the kinetic warp in the air as soon as he gets somewhat close. He doesn't even have time to shout a warning before the ambush starts.

The kineticist, still buried, turns the same ability used to dig the trench against Technocrat flesh. [Ripper 3+2-2][Control 14+1] (Kineticist -25 stamina) Unfortunately, that doesn't work so well. Rising up from the earth throws the psychic's aim off, and, except for a swirl of air, nothing comes of the psychic attack.
   Feuer splinters his shroud [Active kinetics 19+2] [Control 9+2], turning a single overarching warp into a series of eye-bending fields. The technocrats can see the unchained now, but the fields of warped light aren't a lot better than complete invisibility for the purposes of aiming into.
   Anna, linked with both of the other psionics, provides the brunt of the assault. Three minds, working together and led by the strongest, each form an attack. Anna spearheads the assault on the destroyer's mind, [Control (Abi) 15+1+1 Vs 8-1, 10 points up. Control Gained.] [Control (Ski) 20+1, -25% cost] (-7 stamina) dominating it utterly within seconds. Small mind, small dreams, small will, all attached to big muscles, wrapped in armor, and toting a heavy weapon. The ideal target of an empath. [Surge 3+1+1] [Control 16,-10%] (Stamina -18) The surge, handled partially by one of the other psionics, fizzles. [Override 13+1+1-5 Vs Trooper endurance 9](Stamina -10) (Trooper 1 HP -36 [Unblockable]) The suggestion of Anna's other subsidiary mind, however, is enough to steal control of the lead trooper's already weakened body for long enough to twist his neck with bone splintering force. The trooper falls, a look of pained surprised permanently fixed over his left shoulderblade.   
   Tiruin opens fire on [Random: 4] the remaining trooper, [Quickshot 4+4] rushing the shot and sending the beam too high of the mark.

[Technocrat Reflex 6+1, 13+1, 17, 2]

(Sniper and Sharpshooter will be able to act next round. Damien will also be able to act with a small initiative bonus.)
(Ranged attacks on unchained are at -2 to non-psionics)

Spoiler:  Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Anna Witheld (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Knowledge Added (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: December 07, 2013, 06:38:05 am »

The collective Anna let themselves have a small smile. It was time to REALLY counterattack these scum...

Make the Destroyer club the technocrat next to him with the butt of his gun while he turns around so he can then open fire on his teammates.

Start with a -2 Neural Feedback (15 stamina) on Damien and put some effort into making that one stick. Then follow up with a level 4 Surge at -1 difficulty on the sniper. Finish up with an Override on the sharpshooter to force him to bite down as hard as he can on his own tongue.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: December 07, 2013, 09:11:19 am »

James grit his teeth. This thing was just too fast, and trying to hit it when it was doing this charging thing would be downright hellish to attempt. On the other hand, with a clever use of psionics, maybe James could stop said charging thing. Taking a page from his reckless side, James decided to draw back a small bit, not enough to deny it its new variety of attack (he intended to use THAT against it). Then, when it charged at him, he would put his plan into effect.
Draw back a bit towards short range. When the Wight charges at me, send a slam centered on the Wight's feet (so that it goes 3 feet up and 5 feet in either direction) at the thing, with 7 kN of force.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: December 07, 2013, 11:13:27 am »

"Thanks, Emily. I guess I'll figure it out when we get there. Go ahead and set a course for the place, I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I think." Dom sighed.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Nunzillor

« Reply #8468 on: December 09, 2013, 02:08:25 am »

Yay turn! 

What do you think post-experimentation prisoners are good for?  Meatshields of course!  Sounds like they would be useful in fighting off whatever the hot labs contained at least.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:10:17 am by Nunzillor »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: December 09, 2013, 03:03:20 am »

Yay turn! 

What do you think post-experimentation prisoners are good for?  Meatshields of course!  Sounds like they would be useful in fighting off whatever the hot labs contained at least.

You think the post-experimentation prisoners would be good for fighting off post-experimentation prisoners? Isn't that like advocating gasoline as a great fire suppressant?
---

Nunzillor

« Reply #8470 on: December 09, 2013, 10:58:11 am »

Hmm, that's true.  But unlike gasoline, I bet they can be kept in line with the threat of extreme violence!

(This assumes that the prisoners' natural weapons are inferior to the weapons carried by the squad, and that the prisoners are still reasonable/human)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:00:10 pm by Nunzillor »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8471 on: December 12, 2013, 02:33:26 am »

Waitlist me please. FYI, I'm fairly reliable when it comes to posting each and every day.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: December 12, 2013, 02:36:05 am »

Waitlist me please. FYI, I'm fairly reliable when it comes to posting each and every day.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Well, I'm not, but I'll keep that in mind. On a related note, Tiruin and Wolf have recieved PMs.))
---

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: December 12, 2013, 05:43:28 am »

((My problem is that I have lost context but still want to play, for instance I thought we were still on that shuttle))

grab the array ((hope that's what I am supposed to be doing))
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: December 12, 2013, 07:17:00 am »

"Gods fucking dammit!" Damien curses as he jumps behind the nearest cover "I fucking warned you fools!" For now, he will take no other action. This just might be the opening he needs.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 602