Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526706 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Getting punched out by an imaginary tropical waitress
« Reply #7530 on: September 29, 2012, 07:51:14 pm »

I've been on a major archive binge. Currently on page 353/502. This is great stuff I love it.

I donno if you if you folks still have use for things like this, but if you do I offer it as a gift
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I would like to be put on the waitlist please.

Nice weapon. Better than the stuff I make, for sure.

Also, if you want on the waitlist, prepare to wait a very, very long time.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7531 on: September 29, 2012, 09:31:19 pm »

Thanks.

Lol i know the wait time is indefinite, PC deaths seem to be rare, only been one up to the point I've read to. (1.5? Trol was a weird case)
But If I'm on the list I might get in someday. Never will if I'm not.

btw, high five for the Alpha Centauri avatar. That's one of my favorite games of all time.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: October 01, 2012, 10:31:42 am »

Thanks.

Lol i know the wait time is indefinite, PC deaths seem to be rare, only been one up to the point I've read to. (1.5? Trol was a weird case)
But If I'm on the list I might get in someday. Never will if I'm not.

btw, high five for the Alpha Centauri avatar. That's one of my favorite games of all time.

Hey Joben, good to see you in the thread. You are waitlisted as of now.

Turns are being slow due to the OK state fair, blame the deep fried butter on a stick and the chiseling carnies with their coinivorous cons.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: October 01, 2012, 10:33:53 am »

O.o

Stay heart-healthy, dude. Just saying...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: October 01, 2012, 07:25:10 pm »

O.o

It could be worse. Ever heard of fried beer?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: October 01, 2012, 07:27:25 pm »

Dude, I live in the south, people will fry any damn thing down here. :P I will say though that fried ice cream is quite good...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: October 01, 2012, 09:11:44 pm »

Dude, I live in the south, people will fry any damn thing down here. :P I will say though that fried ice cream is quite good...

Same here, and emphasis on any damn thing. I've no doubt there are people around here who will deep fry roadkill.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: October 01, 2012, 09:35:47 pm »

...That's both true and utterly disgusting. >.<

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7538 on: October 05, 2012, 07:35:41 pm »

Thanks. I haven't done a sheet because it seemed premature it seems likely it would require a re-write depending on plot forces in the indefinite future. I can do one if you need it though.

btw, I found something odd on the D22 wiki weapon modifiers page.

Conventional: Uses explosives to shoot a chunk of metal at high velocity. very common. Always Atmosphere Dependent.

Atmosphere Dependent: This weapon requires an earthlike atmosphere to fire.

The only thing I can think of is that by Earthlike you mean one permitting combustion?

You're sci-fi seems to lean toward hard, so I thought you might want to know that firearms don't work like that. The oxidizer is contained in the propellant. Always has been from Black Powder onward (that's what the Potassium nitrate was for). And there's no atmospheric oxygen mechanically accessible anyway since the reaction is taking place in a sealed tube. (breach/cartridge on one end, projectile on the other)
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: October 08, 2012, 02:14:36 pm »

O.o

The worst thing I've actually eaten at the OSF is a piece of frozen chocolate covered cheesecake. I just volunteer there, and my arteries harden looking at some of that stuff. But now my shifts are all done, and so we can dance and make merry, or soak our aching feet and cheer feebly. One of the two.

Thanks. I haven't done a sheet because it seemed premature it seems likely it would require a re-write depending on plot forces in the indefinite future. I can do one if you need it though.

Nah, it's not necessary, it's just a tag to keep me from hunting around for one later.

Conventional: Uses explosives to shoot a chunk of metal at high velocity. very common. Always Atmosphere Dependent.

Atmosphere Dependent: This weapon requires an earthlike atmosphere to fire.

The only thing I can think of is that by Earthlike you mean one permitting combustion?

You're sci-fi seems to lean toward hard, so I thought you might want to know that firearms don't work like that. The oxidizer is contained in the propellant. Always has been from Black Powder onward (that's what the Potassium nitrate was for). And there's no atmospheric oxygen mechanically accessible anyway since the reaction is taking place in a sealed tube. (breach/cartridge on one end, projectile on the other)

I see where you've gotten tangled, and in all honesty that could have been written more clearly. Short descriptions are difficult. Atmosphere dependent can mean a lot of things. For flamethrowers and weapons like the Phoenix, it does refer to the combustibility of the atmosphere. For a sonic weapon it refers to necessity of an atmosphere through which a sound wave can travel. For conventional weapons it refers to the atmospheric pressure necessary to keep the rounds from breaching, etc.

A sonic weapon could fire underwater, A flamethrower could burn in a number of different atmosphere types, and a conventional weapon would fire normally under most conditions that are somewhat close to earthlike. Pressure, atmospheric constituents, density, temperature, ambient electro-magnetic fields, and planetary gravity all get swept under the rug of earthlike atmosphere. I am simply not quite hardcore enough to actually track all of those variables.

Good call though, and it makes me strangely happy when you say my science leans towards hard. But, alas, it is time to turn from the field of armchair science and back to this RTD. I managed to write part of a turn while I was on shift, so who knows, maybe it'll be faster than usual this time.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: October 08, 2012, 03:48:45 pm »

Tarran Smith

Get Taric over here so he can flash his light around the rooms to the sides.

You call Taric over to help you clear the additional rooms. One set of eyes, particularly a set of eyes that has only a layman's knowledge of the mechanicals, isn't enough to clear this place out. Taric may be little more than a brain with an oversize sex drive adjunct, but he's an observant brain with an oversized sex drive.

---

Dominique Wakeman

"He's in there, huh? Ah, shit. I better go keep an eye on him. You hang here with Jake, all right?" Dom said to Taric, mulling over his words. The power went off before the water got blown up, but it was still on? It was probably significant, but to her... well, she just moved heavy shit. And hit dumb shitheads. And recently added shooting mechanical shit to her repertoire. She knew people were still alive in here, Jake was proof of that... there had to be some connection, somewhere. Thinking about it, she headed through the door. "Boss, you in here? Hold on, I'm on my way."

You head into the back of the restaurant and start to shout to Tarran a split second before he calls back to Taric. Taric, who you just told to hold back with Jake, shrugs and tells Jake to hang back with James before following you. The coward who is about as well armed as a mite is guarding a comatose psychic.  Absolutely nothing can go wrong with this plan.
   You and Taric slosh through the preparation area, the combination of the water and Taric's light playing strange tricks on your psychic vision. Tarran isn't hard to find, standing in the middle of a small mechanical bay. [Mechanical 4] You've worked with its like on occasion, not enough to really know how to use it, but enough to now that it would require enough power for a direct line. [Int 5+1] You glance up, easily picking out the ridge you're looking for. That ridge, scored in places where hidden access points had been opened and shut repeatedly, would lead back to the system breaker that controlled it which, in turn, would usually be located with the rest of the local power control systems. If this place has any sort of auxiliary power, that's where you'd go to turn it on. Trouble is that the ridge leads back the way you came, away from the trail.

---

Taric Sizier

Be the lightman

"Calling out for other men when you're alone in the dark... You sure there isn't anything you want to tell us?"  Taric asks deadpan, grinning lopsidedly at Tarran as he sloshes in behind Dominique. He doesn't wait for any answer beyond a scowl before giving the drone bay a cursory inspection and sweeping his light over the split passage and the lift. [Observation 2+1] He shrugs. "There's stuff that way, it looks green, but that's more an emerald city deal," he adds, bringing absolutely nothing helpful to Tarran's earlier assessment.

---

Aaron White

"All for getting up says ´get aboard`, would you kindly? now: "GET ABOARD FOOLS!!!"

Empty elevator versus hallways that are about to be filled with things that want to kill you, it ain't exactly a hard decision for you. You half shout, half shove everyone else into the elevator. It's comfortably roomy and well lit. Barely audible music designed to lessen the stress of being trapped in a metal box plays counterpoint to the twisted corpse that you threw in here. You press the door close button about five times per second.
   The first of the deadhead security force rounds the corner as the doors start closing. They move two abreast and are a good deal healthier looking than the ones you just killed. [luck 4] You have enough time to watch them draw disruptor pistols before the elevator doors cut you off, protecting and caging you.
   The elevator sits silent and unmoving for a couple seconds. "Ookay, where are we going no-" Cale is cut off when the button for floor thirteen flashes, glowing brightly as the elevator hums into motion. "I guess that's where we're going," he says faintly.
   You press a button for another floor experimentally. It flashes once, then dies back to idle as soon as your finger leaves it. The controls are out of your hands. The good news is that you're going seven floors in a direction that you want to go, the bad news is that you have no idea who is taking you there. The only thing that's for sure is that you're going to have to do something now if you don't want to meet whoever is pulling your strings.
    "I hate being railroaded," someone mutters from behind you, too faintly for you to tell who.

---

James Evan

James didn't particularly trust either of these two at the moment... and his shadow had even earlier admitted that would trigger hyperfungalgrowth or something and kill him. But he wasn't going to go with the torturer's idea either. That wasn't remotely an option- the torturer had been trying to kill him, too. "That's the chemical combination you said would kill me!" Instead, James looked for anything he would recognize as being able to hinder it... if such a thing even existed.

"I know what I said," your shadow growls, gesturing at the fallen woman. "But those were his words, not mine!"
   You grimace and start whipping through the cube's displays again, looking for anything that you might have missed. The topless woman says something else, the gist of it being that your shadow is as good as insane right now (not that she has a lot of room to talk), and that you should really be listening to her. You ignore her. [Int 3+1] Nothing new pops out at you, but you can put something old in perspective.  The "Sample 18 status" tab, one of the many tabs that you flicked over only briefly due to it being confusing as hell, recommends "increasing acetylcholin and anandamide production", just like your shadow did. It isn't much, but it lends some credence to his opinion.
    [luck 3] The flying knife, still zipping around like a homicidal starling, flies within about three feet of one of the jet black pillars. Tendrils snap out immediately, seeming not so much to move as to simply and suddenly exist in the knife's path. The blade doesn't come out the other side. You swallow hard as the tendrils continue to descend and grow in a carnival of shadows.

---

Turn Recap
Tarran is calling
Dominique is looking around
Aaron is on an elevator to floor thirteen
James is running out of time.

Relevant Items
Memory Stick (Dom)
Security Card November (Dom)
Broken Pad (Taric)
Ident Badge -Pyotr Ivanov- (Taric)
Ident Badge -Kira Masse- (Tarran)
Ident Badge -Naomi Weiss- (Tarran)
Unpowered Pad (Tarran)
L1RF Key (Tarran)

Spoiler: Aaron White (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Taric Sizier (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: October 08, 2012, 03:55:54 pm »

"Boss, would you or Taric - if he'll stop flirting - go watch James for like two minutes while I fix this?" Dom asked, annoyed at the empath, while she traced the line back to where it came. She wasn't sure if she actually could fix it, or even get to where she needed to go to fix it, but at least attempting it was better than standing around and doing nothing.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: October 08, 2012, 04:49:17 pm »

Oh god why are you sending me on spore-boy watching duty.

"Sure, whatever, I have no idea what this stuff is anyway."

Go back to James. Stand 30 feet away from him at least.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: October 08, 2012, 05:40:32 pm »

(Because I know what I'm doing - apparently - due to working in maintenance while your only useful skill in this situation is shooting things, and that will be better utilized by guarding James than standing around watching me do whatever it is I need to do while Taric continually tries to grope you?)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: October 08, 2012, 05:58:47 pm »

((Spore boy watching duty? :())
Sighing, James did as the shadow recommended, increasing the chemicals.
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 602