Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526244 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2 Why Tarran should not give lessons in morality.
« Reply #7350 on: August 22, 2012, 02:46:03 am »

"Ehhh."

Tarran moved closer to Jake. "Hey, you're Jake right? ...Could you please stop staring at me like that?"
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: August 22, 2012, 03:03:36 am »

Dom grinned, deciding to lighten the mood by teasing Tarran and Jake a bit. "You really shouldn't stare at him, he hates when men do that. It... what did that psychologist say... it 'threatens his feelings of alpha male status,' I think it was." She draped an arm over Tarran's shoulders, to let him know she was just messing with him and she'd stop if he asked. "He's killed men for less, too. The guy we helped carry in, James? He looked at Boss wrong and now he's in a coma. You're lucky he's even giving you a warning. He must like ya."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: August 22, 2012, 03:27:11 am »

Tarran turned around and looked at Dom, frowning slightly but blankly, as if signalling that this isn't exactly the time to be joking around.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: August 22, 2012, 03:32:07 am »

Dom raised her hands with an innocent expression and took a step away, acquiescing to his wishes. "Well, you're the more personable one of the two of us, and he's probably still scared of me. Mind if I do another sweep of the area, Boss?" she asked, intending to do just that if he was fine with it.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: August 22, 2012, 03:36:08 am »

"Go ahead, didn't find too much so I'm not sure how much is left to be found. But by all means prove me wrong, things of use are always nice."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: August 22, 2012, 08:01:13 am »

James looked the shadow over for any trace of the corruption he'd found when he up and six-shooter dueled the shadow, which likely had to do with the fungus, he realized. He continued questioning the shadow. "You ever heard of a Judas Iscariot? Because you're labeled as an "iscariotic" double. That means I can't trust you right away."

((James is a Christian- set it up in his initial backstory, remember?))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:29:01 pm by Powder Miner »

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: August 23, 2012, 07:59:35 am »

Just trough the hatch and close it.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: August 23, 2012, 11:35:38 pm »

Tarran Smith

"Ehhh."

Tarran moved closer to Jake. "Hey, you're Jake right? ...Could you please stop staring at me like that?"

You approach the new kid, Jake. He's staring at you in an oddly terrified way, something that Dominique at least partially explains when she relates the incident in which she "beat the shit out of him". Since you're the guy that Dominique calls boss, it's natural for the poor man to assume that you've got a bigger, brassier pair than she does- though in reality that's only true literally speaking. It isn't the best start to a relationship that you've ever had, but maybe a bit of fear will be healthy for him.
   [Talking 1] "Hey, you're Jake right? ...Could you please stop staring at me like that?" you ask, trying to make your voice amicable but firm. Like the unchained officer who picked you up outside the prison. [Talking 1] Something gets in your throat as you speak, making you sound like a homicidal chainsmoking alcoholic. Amicable isn't even in the vicinity of your tone.
   [Jake Will 6] To his great credit, and despite having his knees locked in fear for the last thirty seconds, Jake doesn't keel over backwards at the sound of your voice. "Uh, yea- yes. I'm Jake, Jake F-Fern," he stammers. [Talking 2] "I swear to God I wasn't staring at your nose. Uh, Sir."
   Well that's certainly a strange thing for someone to say.

---

Dominique Wakeman

Dom raised her hands with an innocent expression and took a step away, acquiescing to his wishes. "Well, you're the more personable one of the two of us, and he's probably still scared of me. Mind if I do another sweep of the area, Boss?" she asked, intending to do just that if he was fine with it.

You give Tarran the short version of how you met Jake, trying to keep an innocent face while you explain how you ended up driving your fist into the man's gut because he hugged you. You just aren't a hugging type of gal, not to strange men who try and shoot you, anyway.
   After you've given Tarran the rundown, you request to search the room again. You're uncomfortable, and you still feel like you're missing something important. Tarran lets you go immediately, probably thinking that Jake will be more talkative if he's not afraid of imminent Dom launched attacks. He's probably right.
   [Observation 4+1] (Search stopped early) This time, when you're just working out from the last place you searched instead of scanning for hostiles, you spot the irregularity that made you feel like something was wrong almost immediately. The place you last searched, the one with the robot in the bodies, is missing the bot. A single mechanical arm remains, lying in a now disturbingly open space. The goddamn thing must have gotten up when you and Tarran were covering the door, but how the hell did you not see it when you did that last sweep of the room? 

---

James Evan

James looked the shadow over for any trace of the corruption he'd found when he up and six-shooter dueled the shadow, which likely had to do with the fungus, he realized. He continued questioning the shadow. "You ever heard of a Judas Iscariot? Because you're labeled as an "iscariotic" double. That means I can't trust you right away."

Telling the pinned duplicate that you don't trust it is met with a dark chuckle. "Well, considering that you've got me pinned to this beach with a woman that you're saying killed me before, I don't exactly have a great amount of trust in you either," he growls, the confusion on his voice giving way to the condescending anger you remember. "Of course I know Judas, I listened to the same parents you did, but I don't know why they'd call me that- or why you'd assume yourself to be the Jesus of the analogy."
  "Who else would be?" you ask, starting to pat down your shadow and examine him for signs of the hell-mold from before. [Observation 3] You don't find anything, but this guy is practically brand new, it's possible it hasn't grown out from inside of his clothes yet. The thought of giving yourself a stripsearch is vaguely disturbing.
   "I don't know, but I think I hate you enough right now to kill you, and I definitely despise you enough to put us back on the right course. Judas was a lot more passive aggressive than that, and I sure as hell am not going to kiss you." His voice trails off a little as he struggles to glance down at where you're investigating, an action which ends abruptly when Blight torques his arm again.

---

Aaron White

Just trough the hatch and close it.

[Stamina 2+1+1] [dex 5-1] [Paula dex 3] You almost drop Henry again, forcing yourself to stretch burning muscles to their limit in order to stop him from tumbling. Paula clambers through the shaft exit ahead of you, and you're at the open hatchway seconds later. [Cale Strength 4] You pass Henry up to Cale before you ascend, practically launching yourself into the blinding light of the complex proper and slamming the hatch shut behind you. It won't stop them, but it is satisfying.
  The low-light filters in your helmet switch off as you pant in the bright but sourceless glow of the lighting strips. [Stamina 4+1]  You feel like someone just ran you over with a couple trucks, then ordered you to unload a few hundred pounds of cement from the trucks that just ran over you. Or, in other words, you feel a bit better than the average Tuesday evening after your old red maintenance shifts.
   [Henry Soak 5+1] Henry's eyes flick open inside his helmet, going from fully unconscious to awake in a moment. "I'm not dead," he mumbles in confusion. "What'd I miss?" Now he wakes up. Right after you're done with the hard part of carrying him. Figures.
   "We have to do something," Cale says, his voice adrenaline and fear. "They're just going to keep following us."
   [Immortal Dex 2, 3, 5+1] [LAE Bots 4+1, 4+1, 4] [Deadheads 4, 2, 4, 3]

Spoiler: Chase Distances (click to show/hide)

((Henry is conscious))

---

Turn Recap
Taric is buffing his nails
James is patting himself down
Tarran is completely failing at conversation
Dominique is having an 'Oh Shit' moment
Aaron has made it!

Cale is suggesting sensibility
Paula has made it!

Other Events
Tarran Will be encumbered as soon as the gravity goes back to earth normal

Relevant Items
Memory Stick (Dom)
Broken Pad (Taric)
Ident Badge -Pyotr Ivanov- (Taric)
Ident Badge -Kira Masse- (Tarran)
Ident Badge -Naomi Weiss- (Tarran)
Unpowered Pad (Tarran)
L1RF Key (Tarran)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aaron White (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: August 23, 2012, 11:51:00 pm »

((James is a Christian- set it up in his initial backstory, remember?))

Of course. I probably know your character sheet as well as you do, a Draignean never forgets. Except when he does, and then he forgets that he forgot so he can claim a clean record of not forgetting things.

Thanks. Nice to know if I ever make guesses at all I'll be repeatedly mocked to extensive extents by you. :|

Draignean [PREFSTRING:Gentle Omniverted Mocking]

To be fair, 'does' does have 4 words, which doesn't sound hard, but that's 456976 possibilities to remember, which can and does confuse some people because nobody thinks that 4 words can have as many possibilities as it does have. I mean, 'does' does sound like do, and ez. It doesn't sound like do and es.

:P

And now, to continue mocking you gently, I believe that you have confused words with letters. There are actually, in fact, four words in does. One is the plural of female deer, the second is the third person singular present of "do", the third is the plural of "Ode", and the fourth is Dose. However, despite the four words that can be made from does, there are hardly 264 possibilities.   :P
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: August 24, 2012, 12:37:07 am »

(Since Taricus isn't posting I'm just going to treat Sizier as wolfchild treats Harry/Jordan and utilize him as an NPC.)

"Taric, c'mere for a second." Dom waved him over. "Weird shit going on. You watch my back while Boss talks to Jake." Assault rifle up, Dom searched the immediate area for any clues as to what could have happened to that robot. She was sure she'd shut it off and no matter how old and rusty it got, an arm wouldn't just fall off as far as she knew. Not without something ripping it off, anyway.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: August 24, 2012, 12:40:39 am »

(Since Taricus isn't posting I'm just going to treat Sizier as wolfchild treats Harry/Jordan and utilize him as an NPC.)

"Taric, c'mere for a second." Dom waved him over. "Weird shit going on. You watch my back while Boss talks to Jake." Assault rifle up, Dom searched the immediate area for any clues as to what could have happened to that robot. She was sure she'd shut it off and no matter how old and rusty it got, an arm wouldn't just fall off as far as she knew. Not without something ripping it off, anyway.

Uh, not the bot you shut off. That one was about as dangerous as a twenty year old dachshund.

This one,
Hidden under a knot of holed and worthless bodies is a security bot of a kind you've only seen once before. The body is only vaguely human, time dulled metal and blood stained plastics molded into a strong torso capable of supporting the security bot's four arms. Its legs take another step away from humanity by featuring four-way knee joints and symmetrical feet that look almost like articulated flowers. Its head is nothing more than a streamlined bulge on top of the rotating stock that passes for its neck. You saw a bot identical to this one, though in much better condition, in your early days as a maintenance worker. It had been sent down, alone, to track a tech-thief through the labyrinthine maze of catwalks and security passages that made up the underworks for the backup power grid. It brought the thief back by the end of your shift, in three different capture nets.

---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: August 24, 2012, 12:54:43 am »

"...I didn't think you were staring at my nose in the first place. I was just confused as to why you are staring at me with what appears to be unusual amounts of fear in your eyes."

And now, to continue mocking you gently, I believe that you have confused words with letters.
Oops.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: August 24, 2012, 01:15:54 am »

(I forgot about that bot. Well, strikethrough the bit where she knew she deactivated it herself and the action still applies.)

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: August 24, 2012, 08:14:50 am »

"Paula... is it possible you could weld this hatch shut?, as in an extra 15 minutes of losing them shut?"
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: August 24, 2012, 11:03:10 am »

Tarran Smith

"...I didn't think you were staring at my nose in the first place. I was just confused as to why you are staring at me with what appears to be unusual amounts of fear in your eyes."

"I," Jake begins, licking his lips, "I don't want you to kill me."
   You raise an eyebrow at him. You wonder where he got the impression that you personally were going to kill him if he failed to... do whatever he was trying to do by staring a hole in your head. [Intuition 3+1 Vs Taric Lie 2] You look sideways at Taric, glaring at him as he dons an expression of angelic innocence. You sincerely doubt that Sizier has ever been that innocent of anything in his entire life.
    "Look, whatever Taric told you, it probably isn't true," you say, turning back to Jake. [Talking 4] "I have no desire to kill you, maim you, beat you up, or hurt you in anyway. All right?"
   Jake nods and relaxes noticeably, occasionally glancing across at Taric in a "what the hell?" kind of way.

---

Dominique Wakeman

"Taric, c'mere for a second." Dom waved him over. "Weird shit going on. You watch my back while Boss talks to Jake." Assault rifle up, Dom searched the immediate area for any clues as to what could have happened to that robot. She was sure no matter how old and rusty it got, an arm wouldn't just fall off as far as she knew. Not without something ripping it off, anyway.

You call Taric over and get him to watch your back. He grins at you and nods graciously, seeming to thank you for giving him an excuse to leave the scene of Tarran and Jake's conversation. He's probably done something naughty and you've given him an excuse to not be there when Tarran notices. You could care less about his vaguely malicious antics.
   [Observation 4 Vs ?] You search the immediate area, looking for any sign of the security bot or a clue as to what happened to it. Nothing looks different in the area around the arm, so you kneel down and examine the severed arm itself. It doesn't appear to be badly damaged, heavy scuffs here and there, and a crack in the plastic where something heavy clubbed it, but otherwise intact. [Mechanical 3+1] The lock that would normally keep the arm attached to a torso socket has been retracted, not damaged. This arm wasn't ripped off or smashed off, it was taken off. [Intuition 4] Which means... 
   You snap your rifle up, looking straight into the face of the security bot as it hangs from one of the emitters. It leers down at you eyelessly for a moment, two of its three remaining arms stretched wide like a mantis waiting for prey, the other arm and both of its legs locked around the holographic spike. It was waiting for you, just waiting for you to walk under it.
   [Dex 2 Vs Advanced L.A.E Bot Dex 5+1] It leaps before you can open fire, assisted by gravity as it attempts to cannonball into you. [Melee 2+1 Vs Dodge 1 (bonus negated)] [A. LAE bot brawl 2+2] Surprise paralyzes you for a critical instant and the damaged bot smashes into you, [Soak 1] driving you to the floor. Your armor absorbs the force of the attack, but the bot has you pinned on your stomach.

(Dominique Armor -10)

---

Aaron White

"Paula... is it possible you could weld this hatch shut?, as in an extra 15 minutes of losing them shut?"

Paula nods, panting too hard to waste breath agreeing with you, and pulls the small plasma torch off her waist. [Paula Mechanical 4+1] Her work is quick and efficient, drawing glowing lines over the seams of the hatchway. She's done in minutes, fast enough that the entire outline of the hatch is still glowing from the heat.
  Cale whistles thinly. "Hot damn. You sure you weren't maintenance?"
  Paula smiles as she gets her breath back. "It isn't... just sipping tea and reading reports... in R and D either, we do... real work too."
  Henry hoists himself into a sitting position, groaning and clutching his still seeping chest wound. "Seriously, what'd I miss?"
  Cale chuckles, mirth made genuine by narrowly cheating death. Again. "You got stabbed in the stomach by a seriously pissed off suit from the blockade. Part of the blockade mob followed us, but we showed them."
  "Oh yes, we gave them a good running away from," Paula supplements.
  The attitude in the room is almost mirthful when Henry asks his next question. "Where's Baron?"
  The happy to be alive expressions fall off Cale and Paula's faces at the mention of the fallen man's name. "He's still dead."     
  "Shit."
  "Yeah."
  "So... what's the plan now?"
  A plan, probably your area now. You look around slowly, trying to call up a mental map of these brightly lit corridors. You're on the testing field level, and most of the section you're on, the lower section, is dedicated to the massive field itself and to the storage units for whatever the egg-heads wanted to test on the field. Any path that doesn't lead up will eventually lead to the storage or to the field, any halls that lead upwards will lead to field control, observation decks, the monitoring equipment, and the primary elevators that lead off this level. The few public stairwells that span multiple levels of the facility should be reachable from both tiers of floor 21, and they should be... [Intelligence 4] At the south end? You're pretty sure the stairs are at the south end.
   None of the three hallways that you can see, however, leads south.  There's a northbound hallway that has a shimmering holographic label telling you it leads to observation and monitoring, and the corridor you're on right now is east-west and lacking any signage on this part of its length.

((That maintenance duct is now inaccessible, at least not without explosives or some more time with a cutting torch.))

---

Turn Recap
Taric is staring at the machine tackling Dom
Tarran is not completely failing at conversation
Dominique is being tackled by a machine
Aaron is considering

Cale is talking.
Paula is a badass welder.
Henry is awake.

Other Events
Tarran Will be encumbered as soon as the gravity goes back to earth normal

Relevant Items
Memory Stick (Dom)
Broken Pad (Taric)
Ident Badge -Pyotr Ivanov- (Taric)
Ident Badge -Kira Masse- (Tarran)
Ident Badge -Naomi Weiss- (Tarran)
Unpowered Pad (Tarran)
L1RF Key (Tarran)

Spoiler: Enemy (Tarran and Co.) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aaron White (click to show/hide)

---
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 602