Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 529738 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2 There is a form to fear, and a shape to madness.
« Reply #5340 on: August 25, 2011, 06:18:28 pm »

I was thinking more like the big front windows some stores have, in this case a bar. :P Yeah, a fall like that would be fatal. Sucks for Dom but I thought it was funny.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: August 25, 2011, 06:32:42 pm »

I was thinking more like the big front windows some stores have, in this case a bar. :P Yeah, a fall like that would be fatal. Sucks for Dom but I thought it was funny.

Ah that would work, though slightly less spectacular.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: August 25, 2011, 06:40:07 pm »

True, but infinitely safer. :3 Hoke did reference Dom having a scar somewhere below the waist so I figured now was as good a time as any to hint at where it was and why she was like '...you know about that?' ;D
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: August 25, 2011, 07:26:06 pm »

C'mon powder and Wolf, you get here before midnight (270 minutes from now) I'll run a turn.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: August 25, 2011, 08:42:21 pm »

And who says that the Technocracy doesn't have safety measures just in case someone does fall?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: August 25, 2011, 08:50:25 pm »

And who says that the Technocracy doesn't have safety measures just in case someone does fall?

Why Bother? It would probably interfere with the solar collectors anyway, and on top of that it's difficult to make oppressive 'safety' systems stick unless you let a few accidents happen every year. 
---

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: August 25, 2011, 09:15:08 pm »

Ash decides that she was doing something important, so continues what she started
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: August 25, 2011, 09:17:51 pm »

Why Bother? It would probably interfere with the solar collectors anyway, and on top of that it's difficult to make oppressive 'safety' systems stick unless you let a few accidents happen every year.

And if a Technocracy agent were to have an "accident"? It would probably be nothing more than a passive force field anyways. As in, a force field that slows your descent, not immediately stopping you.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: August 25, 2011, 11:21:35 pm »

And if a Technocracy agent were to have an "accident"? It would probably be nothing more than a passive force field anyways. As in, a force field that slows your descent, not immediately stopping you.

Then all the better, you can't have propaganda without something to push against. As to passive force fields, you've got to think of the energy you're talking about to run a field that size. Cost benefit analysis places it firmly in the why bother category.

Cost= ~2-12 deaths per year, considering that populated areas have windows thick enough to stop a shaped charge this will be happening primarily to people who get stuck in areas where these screens are in dire need of maintenance, i.e people who work maintenance (Redshift if it's physically outside the tower and they're already screwed.). Occasionally you might have people 'dispose' of a body by dumping it, but not terribly often.

Benefit= Deaths mean that additional supervision can be pushed on work crews as well as harder crackdowns on alcohol and personal credits (These accidents wouldn't happen if people had their minds on their jobs.). It means that you can push much harder restrictions on secure areas. (These accidents wouldn't happen if the public respected restricted zones.) The few deaths to intentional violence allow further and more invasive use of scanners to the general public (These accidents could be prevented by identifing the psychologically impaired before an event occurred, the honest citizen has nothing to fear.)

The Technocracy runs a control program, not a perfect world. In a perfect world there is no need for the Technocracy, and thus by its nature the Technocracy cannot create a perfect world. The Technocracy is designed to turn the human race into a well oiled machine, and it does so with terrifying efficiency. It acts to protect the good of the people as whole (Good in its vision), if a dozen, a hundred, or a million or even a billion (USA billion not UK billion) have to die so that the safety and control of the majority can be ensured then so be it.
---

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: August 26, 2011, 08:37:49 pm »

Good point.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: August 26, 2011, 09:06:35 pm »

James agreed to being Oriented. "It would be good to be able to do the ame stuff the others do... Yes I want to be Oriented."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: August 26, 2011, 09:08:33 pm »

"Well, prepare for something that may or may not be painful. Dom isn't exactly gentle, and she's going to be messing around with your mind!"
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: August 26, 2011, 09:40:48 pm »

At least Taric isn't doing the mentoring.

Imagine HIM with access to a willing mind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: August 26, 2011, 09:42:29 pm »

I already did that though D:
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: August 26, 2011, 10:25:33 pm »

At least Taric isn't doing the mentoring.

Imagine HIM with access to a willing mind...
Doomsday scenario.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 602