Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Somebody help me >__>  (Read 561 times)

Masterspartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Somebody help me >__>
« on: February 08, 2011, 09:48:30 pm »

For the life of me I cannot find out how to use a bow or crossbow in adventure mode. I am seriously annoyed by this, the wiki doesn't help, no tutorials help, not sure if I just have a bug or not? :'(
Ive tried on several different worlds, the answer I get every time is "No ammunition left" Despite having stacks of bolts for a crossbow or stacks of arrows for a bow. I tried putting them in my four quivers I own, but it will not allow me to put ammunition in quivers, just mittens, which do not work as ammunition. It does allow me to store the ammunition in bags and chests, which do nothing...

TL;DR?
Tell me how to archer in adventure mode...
Somehow this thread went from making dwarves rip their bones straight from their bodies to the calming blood mist generated by dozens of babies hitting the ground at once.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Somebody help me >__>
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:04:16 pm »

Screenshot of inventory?  As far as I can tell you're not doing anything wrong.

You have to [f]ire the bow while you have arrows or the crossbow while you have bolts.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:06:51 pm »

Try 'w'earing a quiver. If you can't put your arrows/bolts in your quiver after wearing it, though I don't recall an issue there, drop your ammo and pick it back up. It should go automatically to your quiver.

If the game still tells you that you have no ammo, check to see if you have any other weapons or shields in your hands, especially the hand that's holding your bow, and put them away. You should be able to fire. Your hands don't need to be empty but sometimes the game won't let you fire if you equip a bow to a hand that already has something in it.

It has something to do with the order you equip weapons, but it's not like it really makes sense that you can fire a bow with multiple swords and shields in both hands ... even though you can.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Masterspartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:24:59 pm »

1. drop your ammo and pick it back up. It should go automatically to your quiver.

2. ... check to see if you have any other weapons or shields in your hands, especially the hand that's holding your bow, and put them away. You should be able to fire. Your hands don't need to be empty but sometimes the game won't let you fire if you equip a bow to a hand that already has something in it.
It was one of these two things,
1. I dropped lots of ammo and made sure I had an equipped and unequipped quiver when I picked the ammo back up, the ammo went into a quiver for once.
2. I didn't have any other weapons, but I took off my gloves to make sure and put my shield away, that could have done it too.

Thanks though!
Somehow this thread went from making dwarves rip their bones straight from their bodies to the calming blood mist generated by dozens of babies hitting the ground at once.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:46:13 pm »

Well, you're welcome, and welcome to Adventure Mode!
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.