Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Game/software resale: Legit? Not legit?  (Read 3655 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Game/software resale: Legit? Not legit?
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2011, 11:20:22 am »

Wow... After reading the 3 new pages... I really am your antithesis, Sowelu.

You argue that owning is outdated, I argue that copyright is outdated. :3

Funny that this is today's comic.
I thought that it was old news by now. I was surprised it took them this long to make a comic about it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:23:45 am by Soulwynd »

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2011, 11:30:24 am »

Oh for the love of god.

Hitler.

Now can we end this?

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2011, 11:39:17 am »

It's so infuriating to see things like people selling cars and car rentals.

I mean, every time some greedy moron buys a used a car, he's depriving the car company of an entire sale! So when Joe down the street buys a $2500 Honda to get him to work and back, he's basically just ROBBED HONDA of $25,000 that he would have paid had he bought a new model.

It's just flat out highway robbery.

And renting cars? It's even worse! Every time somebody rents a car, they're basically stealing about $18,000-$50,000 from the car companies. IT'S RIDICULOUS.

Oh, and don't even get me remotely started on people buying airplane tickets. Those airplanes are worth A LOT MORE than a couple hundred bucks. It's just plain criminal.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2011, 11:52:11 am »

Oh yeah, that's so true. How about when you buy a TV and then you let everyone else in the family watch it?!

That ridiculous! They should have some sort of image recognition system that only lets the TV turn on when only the person who bought it is in the room. Damn freeloaders. They should buy their own TV! Think about it, if there are four members in your family and you buy one HD 52" TV, you're robbing samsung! You should buy four of them! You thieves!

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2011, 12:03:36 pm »

Oh yeah, that's so true. How about when you buy a TV and then you let everyone else in the family watch it?!

That ridiculous! They should have some sort of image recognition system that only lets the TV turn on when only the person who bought it is in the room. Damn freeloaders. They should buy their own TV! Think about it, if there are four members in your family and you buy one HD 52" TV, you're robbing samsung! You should buy four of them! You thieves!

This isn't actually too far from the truth. Why do you think they're going nuts over 3D movies and TVs? You need a ~$200 set of glasses per person* watching your $1,000+ 3D TV. No more freeloading!

*Although I think they're probably annoyed that the glasses are shareable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2011, 12:04:20 pm »

Yeah but right now 3d is a total rip off and only stupid or ignorant people (or people with a LOT OF MONEY) are buying into it.

At least I HOPE those are the only people buying into it. I'd like to assume people can see through it.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2011, 12:32:42 pm »

Here is a good point to think about: Do they still make games for old consoles?

If you want to buy a gamecube game, there is almost no chance of getting it new, they just don't make them anymore.

The same thing happens to every game ever made, given enough time, so putting measures in place to ensure that people can only play a game they bought new will only deprive people from seeing the true gems of the past that just aren't avalable anymore. That leaves pirating as the only alternative, an outcome that game companies certainly don't want, because if it's legal to steal a game that can no longer be bought, what about games that aren't available in your region? And if so, what about games that you cannot play due to lack of hardware? And then it's only a small step to games that you cannot play due to lack of funds, and then due to plain and simple laziness.

Therefore, allowing selling/trading used copies of a game reduces piracy, somewhat, and so would re-releasing old games, either alone or in packs.

Digital distribution also helps, because suddenly you are not relying on a store to have stock left, so steam can continue to sell a 10-year-old game that almost nobody bought, because they don't need to make room for the newer, more popular games.
Eh?
Eh!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2011, 12:52:00 pm »

Here is a good point to think about: Do they still make games for old consoles?

If you want to buy a gamecube game, there is almost no chance of getting it new, they just don't make them anymore.

The same thing happens to every game ever made, given enough time, so putting measures in place to ensure that people can only play a game they bought new will only deprive people from seeing the true gems of the past that just aren't avalable anymore. That leaves pirating as the only alternative, an outcome that game companies certainly don't want, because if it's legal to steal a game that can no longer be bought, what about games that aren't available in your region? And if so, what about games that you cannot play due to lack of hardware? And then it's only a small step to games that you cannot play due to lack of funds, and then due to plain and simple laziness.

Therefore, allowing selling/trading used copies of a game reduces piracy, somewhat, and so would re-releasing old games, either alone or in packs.

Digital distribution also helps, because suddenly you are not relying on a store to have stock left, so steam can continue to sell a 10-year-old game that almost nobody bought, because they don't need to make room for the newer, more popular games.

oh no! I can't no more drive a 1931 alfa 8c! my rights are being abused right now!

well, if you want to do a car analogy, you have to endure it both ways  :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2011, 12:56:28 pm »

"well, if you want to do a car analogy"

Sure Car Anology

Toyota just made it illegal to drive their cars after 5 years.

or

Insurance companies now charge you per passanger.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 01:36:06 pm »

"well, if you want to do a car analogy"

Sure Car Anology

Toyota just made it illegal to drive their cars after 5 years.

or

Insurance companies now charge you per passanger.

Insurance companies, do charge you per passenger. Per driver too. Insurances, though is /way/ different over intellectual property ownership, same as the car.

And the car one exist in Japan, where they have very strict millage on drive trains, which give cars a very limited life span.

Second, how could they even make it illegal? There also tons of rules for reselling cars, that in no way relate to media resales. For California, the previous car owner has to make sure that the car pass smog. You can only sell cars to persons with a driver licensees. Each resale has to be registered and fee paid to the DMV. The car has to be road safe in most circumstances.

Most of these jumps you have to go through with car resale, have practical reasons attached to it. And these reasons can't really be given to media.

The car analogy sucks. Get a better one.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 01:39:10 pm »

Second, how could they even make it illegal?

Planned Obsolesence.

I wasn't making a legitimate Car analogy. I was doing "It would be like the car companies doing it"

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2011, 01:46:35 pm »

Second, how could they even make it illegal?

Planned Obsolesence.

I wasn't making a legitimate Car analogy. I was doing "It would be like the car companies doing it"
I heard some manufacturers gimp their vehicles so they can send more work toward licensed fixers.  Custom parts is another way to send more work to the licensed fixers. 
Nice source of income if they are the only ones making the custom parts too...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 03:36:52 pm »

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2011, 07:28:14 pm »

lol @ senselock

When i read Sowelu i feel like something is really messed up in his vision of the world. First, its not like *piracy* is that big of a deal. I mean, look at the world, there are far worse things going on all the time, and most people just don't care. So why should it be the moral/civic responsibility of citizens to protect publishers profit ?

Sorry but when i download an illegal copy of a game i don't feel bad. When i download a movie, i don't feel bad. Why should I ? Honestly, if i had to buy all the games/movies/etc... that i downloaded for free, i would be broke by now. And thanks god i didnt, because a large part of it was such crap that i wouldnt want to buy it.

I grew up reading A LOT of books, from libraries and from friends, and over time i bought a small selection of books that i liked, not because i wanted the authors to get money, but because i wanted to own a copy of these (eventually to lend them or read them again).

Once again, if i had to buy all these books... well i couldnt have, because i was a kid and i didnt have such money. But i think that reading opened my mind a lot and enriched it in many ways, which wouldnt have been possible if i or my parent had to pay for every book.

The world you dream of, Sowelu, is not the world that i want to live in. I mean, even if the world was an utopia, your system of absolute property/copyright/no lending/no resale is just narrow minded and would taint it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:59:30 pm by Sirian »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2011, 07:51:22 pm »

I would crack that world. :3
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5