Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Game/software resale: Legit? Not legit?  (Read 3656 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Game/software resale: Legit? Not legit?
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2011, 11:13:14 am »

lol @ senselock

When i read Sowelu i feel like something is really messed up in his vision of the world. First, its not like *piracy* is that big of a deal. I mean, look at the world, there are far worse things going on all the time, and most people just don't care. So why should it be the moral/civic responsibility of citizens to protect publishers profit ?

Sorry but when i download an illegal copy of a game i don't feel bad. When i download a movie, i don't feel bad. Why should I ? Honestly, if i had to buy all the games/movies/etc... that i downloaded for free, i would be broke by now. And thanks god i didnt, because a large part of it was such crap that i wouldnt want to buy it.

I grew up reading A LOT of books, from libraries and from friends, and over time i bought a small selection of books that i liked, not because i wanted the authors to get money, but because i wanted to own a copy of these (eventually to lend them or read them again).

Once again, if i had to buy all these books... well i couldnt have, because i was a kid and i didnt have such money. But i think that reading opened my mind a lot and enriched it in many ways, which wouldnt have been possible if i or my parent had to pay for every book.

The world you dream of, Sowelu, is not the world that i want to live in. I mean, even if the world was an utopia, your system of absolute property/copyright/no lending/no resale is just narrow minded and would taint it.

Whether or not, you feel bad is irrelevant to if its unethical, ill moral, or illegal.

Let takes a look at con artist; how many of them feel bad if you fall for their cashier check fraud scheme? What about the salesperson who swindle every dime away from the eldery? Do they feel bad? Or car salesmen who manages to rip you off, does he feel bad?

Possibly some of them for those in these profession, but a good portion do not.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2011, 12:24:32 pm »

Whether or not, you feel bad is irrelevant to if its unethical, ill moral, or illegal.

Let takes a look at con artist; how many of them feel bad if you fall for their cashier check fraud scheme? What about the salesperson who swindle every dime away from the eldery? Do they feel bad? Or car salesmen who manages to rip you off, does he feel bad?

Possibly some of them for those in these profession, but a good portion do not.

You're entirely missing the point of what he said if you think he meant that how you feel about something is moral justification for anything.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2011, 12:34:45 pm »

Of course it's relevant. Only people with mental problems and those with no other choice will do something they feel bad about. Comparing it to con artists is what is irrelevant. Every single line of business there is is being a legal con artist. You always want to make your customers pay the most they can while making sure they look for your service or product instead or others. That means lying, fraud, use of cheap materials, and all sorts of abuses.

The world isn't a cute rainbow full of moral unicorns. Everyone has their own ethics and they will do what they think is right, what they need, and what they want to do.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:49:22 pm by Soulwynd »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]