Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: new build or upgrade existing PC  (Read 2165 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
new build or upgrade existing PC
« on: February 08, 2011, 02:22:33 pm »

My PC is a bit behind the curve and im quite liking the look of the up coming DX3 and the year old Metro 2033.

My current rig is
E4500 2.2 core 2 duo processor
2 gig DDR2 (maybe ddr3) ram
8400gs Nividia card
cant remember the motherboard, but given its with a core to duo it wont be a monster.

So the question is, how long can i cost effectivly facelift this PC.

i see three options

1. Spend upto £200 ($350) on a new graphics card, and add a 4gb stick of ram, with the expectation of about 3-5 more years of being able to run top flight games but not necessarily at max settings. Possibly buy a better core 2 duo (is upgrading a core 2 duo ever worth it?). If so which card should i get, i dont want to upgrade my power unit and cooling system.

2. by a geforce 9800 or some card for about £50, and then maybe 2gb ram just to play the two games mentioned (if the processor the other upgrades will cut it) and maybe a few other releases in this year.

3 buy new PC

Theres no point in spending loads on an upgrade if the motherboard and processor are never going to cut it, is the basic hinge point.

can anyone advise?

I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: new build or upgrade existing PC
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 02:32:58 pm »

new build, including case, it's obviously a nice change if you have the cash, if not then upgrade
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:34:03 pm »

(note: these prices are slightly guessed)
I'd get a new everything, but not a new PC. Get a new motherboard(50-100£), 4GB DDR3 RAM(~40£(wow, I didn't know it was that cheap now)), as for card... I'll look for an energy-efficient one.

And I recommend getting an AMD Phenom II X4 processor. Lots of power for the money.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:46:20 pm by Dwarf Midget »
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 03:19:07 pm »

You can build a new computer with great hardware for pretty cheap, really. I'd go with an AMD/ATI setup for cost and energy efficiency. If your current case is good, then keep it. But those Antec 300 are very nice to build in (don't know if there's better yet or not, but I like those). If you keep your peripherals, I could see a pretty good new build for...maybe $600ish. Very rough estimate.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 03:33:47 pm »

Get a nvidia card because ATI cards usualy have more compatability issues.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:35:17 pm »

I'd have to say, I agree on NVidia over ATI for compatibility alone. I've seen several forums where people outline which ATI driver versions work with which game, and frankly, it reads like a shopping list. "Drivers from 10.1 - 10.4 work for this game, this game works with 10.5 and up, this other game stopped working at 10.9..." I've never had to roll back the drivers on my NVidia card, and I play games with a pretty wide selection of ages and video requirements. ATI may be superior in cost-versus-power, but that hardly matters if your drivers screw over half the games I want to play, does it?  ;)

On the other hand, I've heard lots of good things about AMD processors. The Intel vs AMD CPU debate is a lot like the Nvidia versus ATI GPU debate, where the former produces expensive, top-of-the-line devices and the latter produces slightly less-powerful, far cheaper devices. The difference is, AMD processors actually work, whereas ATI GPUs often don't.  :P

Cases really don't make much of a difference - if your case can actually hold everything inside it, then you're set. Sure, there's a bunch of talk about 'airflow', but if you're really having airflow problems, remove the side of the case and replace it with a cheap mesh or something. It's certainly not worth spending a hundred bucks to slightly reduce heat, especially if you're not obsessively overclocking.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:00:59 pm »

I wouldn't know about the compatibility issues, I've only ever bought Nvidia. They're just pricey. And power hogs. Was contemplating ATI for my next upgrade...but if compatibility is that bad, then nevermind.

Intel is great if you have cash to throw around. The i7 is a great processor (I love mine :D). But AMD's Phenom line is superb as well, don't think it can't keep up.

The only reason I say Antec 300 is purely for buildability. One of the nicest cases I've built. And they're around...$50 at last check. Definitely no need to shell out for a super awesome OMFGWTF case if you don't plan to overclock.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:03:13 pm »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 06:45:12 pm »

Intel is upgrading to 2011-pin sockets soon.  If you're looking for something high-end, I would seriously recommend waiting for them to hit, as the 1156 and 1366 sockets are essentially being discontinued.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 06:50:42 pm »

thats something i would pay 1000 bucks for as long there is enough pci-e lanes for all of my graphics cards for full x16.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 08:06:52 pm »

What OS are you on? As much as it pains me to say it, XP is on its last legs as far as gaming goes. If you're not on Windows 7 yet, you need to be for the next year+ of modern gaming.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 08:08:29 pm »

i find windows 7 excellent for all of my games.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 08:18:27 pm »

Buy a new barebones.  Transfer existing (good) parts.

Enjoy blissful transfer of files, OS, settings, and drivers.*

Also cheaper.  I spent $580 and got a computer worth about $850.  Why?  Kept my 2 hard drives ($80/per), kept my CPU fan ($50), DVD drive ($20), sound card ($?), and wireless adapter ($30).

I got mine here:
www.portatech.com

*If you get a new video card, you'll install a new driver, of course, but a lot of your basic drivers will still be there as well as drivers for hardware you kept.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 08:28:38 pm »

Asus and AMD ftw

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 08:36:49 pm »

I'd wait for Ivy Bridge or whatever Intel called it to hit.

After that, a new build. If you're strapped on cash, spend it on a GPU and a cooler so you can overclock the thing. It'll help for a while, but a new build really would do the job.

Get a nvidia card because ATI cards usualy have more compatability issues.

Pfffffff.

No, they don't, as far as I know. I don't know where you even got that from.

They're bad in hackintosh builds, but that's pretty much it.

EDIT:
I'd have to say, I agree on NVidia over ATI for compatibility alone. I've seen several forums where people outline which ATI driver versions work with which game, and frankly, it reads like a shopping list. "Drivers from 10.1 - 10.4 work for this game, this game works with 10.5 and up, this other game stopped working at 10.9..." I've never had to roll back the drivers on my NVidia card, and I play games with a pretty wide selection of ages and video requirements. ATI may be superior in cost-versus-power, but that hardly matters if your drivers screw over half the games I want to play, does it?  ;)

On the other hand, I've heard lots of good things about AMD processors. The Intel vs AMD CPU debate is a lot like the Nvidia versus ATI GPU debate, where the former produces expensive, top-of-the-line devices and the latter produces slightly less-powerful, far cheaper devices. The difference is, AMD processors actually work, whereas ATI GPUs often don't.  :P

Cases really don't make much of a difference - if your case can actually hold everything inside it, then you're set. Sure, there's a bunch of talk about 'airflow', but if you're really having airflow problems, remove the side of the case and replace it with a cheap mesh or something. It's certainly not worth spending a hundred bucks to slightly reduce heat, especially if you're not obsessively overclocking.

I see the same thing with NVIDIA drivers, for the record. There are no major compat issues. I've never had to roll back my drivers, either.

I detest that second one. They work fine.

Cases are actually important. Try overclocking on air in a beige box, see how that turns out. IIRC, meshes and stuff are actually bad for airflow, because it ruins the intended path.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:40:04 pm by lordnincompoop »
Pages: [1] 2 3