36-45
- 23 (4%)
46-55
- 5 (0.9%)
56+
- 8 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 580

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: How Old Are You?  (Read 19470 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: How Old Are You?
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2011, 11:21:10 am »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2011, 11:38:17 am »

The first computer games I played were in black-and-white (or black-and-green, or black-and-amber).

Don't have to be that old for that. I used to play Alley Cat, Sopwith, 3-Demon, and a host of other games on a 286 green-screen.
I'm 25 now.

Text-only games need a few more years though :P
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2011, 12:06:09 pm »

I'll be 55 in September. I've been playing with computers since 1974.
Never pet a burning dog.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2011, 12:09:17 pm »

13 years >.> , oh well turning 14 in 22 August ... Long time to wait is long..
Desu

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2011, 12:10:52 pm »

First 286 I used had a monochrome Hercules card (or maybe the monitor was monochrome, either way could do EGA or better resolution, but monochrome), but I'd long been using the BBC B microcomputer (which, incidentally, is the first place I used DOS... not ADFS, but actual DOS) which had all the colours you might want (anything from 2 to 8![1]).  Which was luxury after the bi-coloured ZX81.

But of course Slink's (department's?) machine was a minicomputer, anything up to a decade before that.  Meaning that it was a few years before even the kit-type one (model not remembered) that was my first experience of a computer.  But it may have certainly shared the similarities of having to (at least before adding a dedicated memory bridge to tape storage) actually 'bootstrap' the unit by entering at least the first few instructions in via dip-switches.  Which means that the process of rebooting the machine won't have been as simple as pressing a 'reset' button and waiting a few seconds for today's variety of POST to happen. :)

[1] Actually, games like Striker's Run and, IIRC, Yie-Ar-Kung-Fu also used interrupts to allow the higher-res/lower-bitdepth display to display more colours than they would normally.  e.g. a pallet for the ground, a pallet for the middle and possibly a pallet for the sky/background.  Very much like they put coloured cellophane over the monochrome Space Invaders cabinet monitors. :)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2011, 12:12:39 pm »

The first computer games I played were in black-and-white (or black-and-green, or black-and-amber).

Don't have to be that old for that. I used to play Alley Cat, Sopwith, 3-Demon, and a host of other games on a 286 green-screen.
I'm 25 now.

Text-only games need a few more years though :P

I suppose I might have added also playing the shoot-the-Klingons game on a teletype terminal.  I was in University then, and my undergraduate research advisor did NOT like discovering that his IBM 360 computer account had somehow acquired TT charges.  I had to print out some hastily devised electron-density diagrams to cover that one, which didn't explain why I had to use interactive programming, but I escaped from that by displaying a rush of adolescent enthusiasm for computers.  Since he certainly didn't understand them and basically didn't like them, he was distracted from noticing the basic inconsistency long enough to forget to pursue it.  :P
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2011, 12:15:22 pm »

I am 14. Oh well, now I see why this forum is so mature and actually knows how spelling works.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2011, 12:32:38 pm »

First 286 I used had a monochrome Hercules card (or maybe the monitor was monochrome, either way could do EGA or better resolution, but monochrome), but I'd long been using the BBC B microcomputer (which, incidentally, is the first place I used DOS... not ADFS, but actual DOS) which had all the colours you might want (anything from 2 to 8![1]).  Which was luxury after the bi-coloured ZX81.

But of course Slink's (department's?) machine was a minicomputer, anything up to a decade before that.  Meaning that it was a few years before even the kit-type one (model not remembered) that was my first experience of a computer.  But it may have certainly shared the similarities of having to (at least before adding a dedicated memory bridge to tape storage) actually 'bootstrap' the unit by entering at least the first few instructions in via dip-switches.  Which means that the process of rebooting the machine won't have been as simple as pressing a 'reset' button and waiting a few seconds for today's variety of POST to happen. :)

The Hercules monchrome graphics card was a very good card in its day.  The problem that it had for games was that it was monochrome.  The first PC that we had with a math co-processer also had a Hercules monochrome card.  We (my husband and I) used it for scientific graphs.

The PDP-11 did have to be toggled into awakeness.  The game program had its own toggles, and the bootstrap for the proper working program had another set.  It ran an instrument that we used, and I am embarassed to say that I can no longer remember which instrument that was.  I was only there for one year, as a post-doc.  I think that whatever instrument the PDP-11 ran was normally used by one of the technicians.  I used an ESR spectrometer and sometimes the polarimeter.  The ESR belonged to another group, and the polarimeter had no computer, so alas I had no game of my own to play before work started.

Later on I went to work for an oil company.  I briefly got to play with an Apple 2E that one of the Senior Scientists had bought for an engineeer who worked for him.  She had given me permission to play during lunchtime, but he got angry when he found out, so I had to stop.  That was when I built my Heathkit Z-80 at home.  I bought Fortran for it, and ran CP/M.  Eventually I got a spectrometer in my lab with Perkin-Elmer BASIC, which crossed over to my home PC so I could type in games from Byte and other magazines.  By the time I moved to another city with the man I eventually married, I was ready for BASIC in color on Atari-800s, Commondore 64s, and the IBM PCs.  Hurrah!  :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2011, 12:34:09 pm »

epic.
 :'(
can anyone guess my age?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2011, 04:10:00 pm »

epic.
can anyone guess my age?
7!
22!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2011, 04:12:52 pm »

epic.
can anyone guess my age?
Hmmm... 12  sweeps.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2011, 04:52:37 pm »

I'm 16 myself. TolyK...is probably somewhere between -5 and 3802. I'm guessing 15

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2011, 05:03:05 pm »

epic.
can anyone guess my age?
Well... Let's see...

You're still using smilies, so that means you aren't SRS BSNS, meaning that the chance of you being elderly is much lower...
You have capitalization problems(no offense), so that means you're pretty young...
You used epic, meaning you're not an old man.
And finally, you've got a young feeling about you.

So... I'd say somewhere between 12-18.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2011, 05:14:46 pm »

epic.
can anyone guess my age?
Well... Let's see...

You're still using smilies, so that means you aren't SRS BSNS, meaning that the chance of you being elderly is much lower...
You have capitalization problems(no offense), so that means you're pretty young...
You used epic, meaning you're not an old man.
And finally, you've got a young feeling about you.

So... I'd say somewhere between 12-18.
Be a man and make an exact guess! Also, I point you to the elderly one above using smilies. If I were to use your same method to guess your age, I'd call you a child based entirely on that spacing error you made.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2011, 05:16:07 pm »

I'd say 16-20
*Hugs*