36-45
- 23 (4%)
46-55
- 5 (0.9%)
56+
- 8 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 580

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: How Old Are You?  (Read 19520 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: How Old Are You?
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2011, 09:42:18 am »

I'm 32. My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 64k. Buying a game for it translated to buying a book with 50 pages assembly code, entering it into the computer, and recording it on tape/microdrive. Good old days.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2011, 09:44:17 am »

There's one vote in 0-10. Any guesses?

He is one badass kid for sure.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2011, 10:32:52 am »

There's one vote in 0-10. Any guesses?
Could be just a "blah" vote.

No-one's guessed my age yet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

18?

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2011, 10:45:05 am »

C++ Right? Why do you have std before every cin and cout?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2011, 11:18:22 am »

My age is
Code: [Select]
2A, the first computer I owned was a C=64,
my first bit of coding also constituted typing over from a magazine a game called 'High Noon', 't was pretty fun too.
I still listen to the 8-bit tunes from my favorite games.

edit:
That code should be optimized to exclude any ages that have already been guessed and follow the bell curve. ;)

edit2: Drat, Toady shielded the forums with robot.txt from the wayback machine.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:23:13 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2011, 11:57:17 am »

This kind of scares me, I thought I was below the curve in age, but if you put 15-18 and 19-20 together, it's the largest age bloc.

Geez... I hope this doesn't make Toady feel old.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lupusater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2011, 12:33:28 pm »

18, so I'm in the second majority.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2011, 12:44:26 pm »

also remember some of us have been here longer, i have been here for 3 years.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2011, 01:43:55 pm »

he uses Std:: to refference the Std "namespace" . Since the old<iostream.h> (, for which the MS compiler gives you the nice alert "_OLD_IOSTREAMS_ARE_DEPRECATED", ) still exists and is used wildly this may be needed to get the correct function since both libs have a cout function. I for once would have referenced the namespace in the header by using "using namespace std;" instead of typing Std:: each time.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2011, 01:50:08 pm »

he uses Std:: to refference the Std "namespace" . Since the old<iostream.h> (, for which the MS compiler gives you the nice alert "_OLD_IOSTREAMS_ARE_DEPRECATED", ) still exists and is used wildly this may be needed to get the correct function since both libs have a cout function. I for once would have referenced the namespace in the header by using "using namespace std;" instead of typing Std:: each time.
I use my own header file :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2011, 01:56:25 pm »

btw. i guess 24.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2011, 03:22:15 pm »

This kind of scares me, I thought I was below the curve in age, but if you put 15-18 and 19-20 together, it's the largest age bloc.

Geez... I hope this doesn't make Toady feel old.
...19!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2011, 04:30:36 pm »

Turning 25 this year. I think I start playing DF in 2005 or 2006 though, don't remember which. I didn't know about the forums until a few months ago. @_@ As for TolyK, I'm just gonna randomly draw out a number here and say 23.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2011, 04:40:56 pm »

The Hercules monchrome graphics card was a very good card in its day.  [...]

The PDP-11 did have to be toggled into awakeness.  [...]

Later on I went to work for an oil company.  [...]

I'd just like to say that I envy you.  I never try to out-geek anybody (intentionally, although I do ramble on sometimes and only later realise that I look like it), but it sounds like you (a mere few, as yet indeterminate, years older than I) got to live at least part of the geeky life I would have loved to have lived had I been around a few years earlier and maybe on the other side of an ocean.  I might not have married your husband (small problem of gender, from the legal standpoint, but lack of that kind of inclination would have been an issue as well!), but the rest sounds like a good basis for parts of my fantasy alternate lifetime.

Kudos to you, certainly.  Or whatever word a person of my age ought to be using in its stead.

*bows*

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2011, 07:19:15 pm »

The Hercules monchrome graphics card was a very good card in its day.  [...]

The PDP-11 did have to be toggled into awakeness.  [...]

Later on I went to work for an oil company.  [...]

I'd just like to say that I envy you.  I never try to out-geek anybody (intentionally, although I do ramble on sometimes and only later realise that I look like it), but it sounds like you (a mere few, as yet indeterminate, years older than I) got to live at least part of the geeky life I would have loved to have lived had I been around a few years earlier and maybe on the other side of an ocean.  I might not have married your husband (small problem of gender, from the legal standpoint, but lack of that kind of inclination would have been an issue as well!), but the rest sounds like a good basis for parts of my fantasy alternate lifetime.

Kudos to you, certainly.  Or whatever word a person of my age ought to be using in its stead.

*bows*

I bow to you in return.  *bows*  Geekiness came naturally to me from an early age, and if that was also the case for you then I am sure you did your best in whatever circumstances you found yourself.  Finding an appropriate spouse was important in my case.  I can't imagine having been allowed to fill the spare bedroom with homebuilt computer-y gadgets had I had a husband who expected me to go out on the town every evening and then entertain his friends and family on the weekends.  As it was, he spent his weekends in that room with me, enjoying the co-exploration, and during the finest part of it our once weekly night out on the town was capped by a visit to a software store after a large Mexican dinner with margaritas.  That store owner loved us.  :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18