Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two Worlds 1 Cup  (Read 1728 times)

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two Worlds 1 Cup
« on: February 08, 2011, 09:20:31 am »

Two Worlds 2 : I know, I know.  Before you tell me to die in a fire, have any of you played it yet?

I was extremely bored with gaming these past couple months, so I figured what the hell, I'll check it out.  Reviews didn't seem too bad, graphics looked decent.  Although, having played the first Two Worlds and being utterly disappointed, I kept my expectations low for the sequel.

..And holy crap am I impressed.  I've only sunk about 10 hours into the game, but it is actually one of the best RPGs I've played in the past two or three years.  While some of the voice acting and lines are cheesy (mostly during the prologue), and horrid types in the subtitles, there's a LOT of stuff to do.
    The game has the generic fantasy story line, bad dude takes your sister now you have to save her blah blah blah, but when you get past the tutorial/prologue, things start getting interesting. 

• The alchemy and magic system are fun to use
    • The lockpicking mini game is much more tolerable than Oblivion's IMHO
    • Crafting skills, being able to break down items into components and further upgrade other items (based on crafting skills)
    • Youcan inset weapons and armor with gems
    • The only game I've played that lets you kill ostriches AND baboons

The combat is pretty sweet.  Right now my dude is wielding this messed up cleaver and a handaxe that I got from killing some dogmen's leader down at the bottom of some mines.  The combat is pretty satisfying, especially when delivering the killing blow with a two-handed claymore, smashing the ragdoll into some barrells.

TLDR; Two Worlds 2 (although not without some flaws) is one of the better RPGs to come out in a long time

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Two Worlds 1 Cup
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:02:27 am »

I loled at the thread name. That is all
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:04:11 am »

Yea, I've played it. It seemed like a very well polished game, with a few neat changes here and there from the norm.
Nothing revolutionary, groundbreaking or epoch-making. But if you want something like oblivion with a bunch of tiny changes... then its a pretty polished and well-rounded game.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 12:07:14 pm »

What about the game systems? I mean, you wrote stuff, but it doesn't read like anything's there. :p

Is it open world? How open world? Is every cave connected to a quest or are some just there for murdering? Are those caves, as an example, randomly generated or do they have handplaced loots?

What is the levelling system like?

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 12:35:06 pm »

What about the game systems? I mean, you wrote stuff, but it doesn't read like anything's there. :p

Is it open world? How open world? Is every cave connected to a quest or are some just there for murdering? Are those caves, as an example, randomly generated or do they have handplaced loots?

What is the levelling system like?
1.) Magic is a kinda card-based user-created magic. You pick a way of transmitting a spell [area, projectile, self...] and then a magic-type [fire, water, air, death, life, earth...] and then modifiers.. [damage, time, magic-seeking, splitter,...] and you can stack some of the cards to increase the end results effect... like.. 5 fire magic cards + 5 projectile cards + a lot more damage. Also you can stack a max of 3 combos together.. so like... a fire bolt that blasts water when it hits and summons a skeleton or something.   Theres a bit less possibilites then you would assume, especially since its limited by your skills [although later-game you certainly ahve a bit more freedom.. but i found i pretty much had to spam a single high-damage spell with tons of cards just to hurt enemies effectively...]
Alchemy is like... combine a bunch of things that have a bunch of effects, and it results in some combo of them... every herb/body part has a effect, some are modifier-like like "increase time duration" or "increase potion power" others are like "+450hp" "cures one type of poison/effect" "causes one type of poison/effect"... theres one that causes you to be able to jump mountains.. I'm not kidding.. i used to to skip huge amounts of a level where the monsters were too strong for me.. so i just lept through all the mountains...
Crafting is really just putting certain jems in things, and upgrdaeing them slightly with resources... nothing too special.

2.) I don't know if theres any caves that exist without a quest attatched, but i doubt it.. there are a lot of side-quests though. All the caves are handplaced... are scripted.. THere is little to no random generation.. maybe some of the animals in the wild are random-location... no idea. Nothing feels very "random" though. The world is..... Incredibly open... but linear in design. That is to say... it doesnt want you to veer off and wander around and not do quests... It doesnt want you to visit towns in the wrong order and it goes out of its way to prevent you. But... it's not really impossible to get around its attempts to keep you on a linear path. I suppose it becomes less linear over time though.
...Especially when you can make potions to jump over mountains.

3.)It's pretty normal. You get a bunch of skill trees... some have to do with archery, warriorness, magic, and then things like theifery, and like... resistances[magic/elemntal/damage] as well as things like "total life"
each skill can be leveled upto 9-10 times... and they tend to unlock a skill at first, then buff it. Magic leveling up lets you stack more cards. I think some skills effect item-use too.
stats are.. well.. pretty freaken normal.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:32:55 pm »

Having just played for a couple hours... Geee... The controls manage to be worse than the first Lara Croft game.... Uninstalling now.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:29:07 am »

The game is alright but... I've given up on it.

Starts off on hard mode and it's alright. The enemies have reasonable amounts of health (a swing or three chops 'em down unless they block and they can tear you to bits if they start hitting you, but that's FUN since you can insta-block) and then... Massive difficulty spike on THOSE SAME ENEMIES but five meters away from them. Nevermind the fact they have far, far more health (or possibly armour) than is strictly necessary, resulting in me having to sloooowly cut away at them. Can't change difficulty mid-game etc etc leads to ragequits.

It'd've been a fun game, otherwise, and I was really enjoying the "KILL FAST OR BE KILLED FAST" element. But I can't stand games that artificially inflate difficulty with increased HP.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:16:14 pm »

Sadly I couldn't get past the awkward controls either. I don't know what it was, but they just felt kind of... stiff? And firing a bow was ridiculous.

Did not like the apparent linearity of the world, either (I didn't play far, so that's an opinion based purely on the first hour or so of gameplay-- take it for what you will). It did not hold my attention long enough to find out of the rest of the game got any better. By that point I was too bored to find out.

It's a shame, because I was really hoping this one would just fix the bad parts of the first game and end up being awesome.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:17:50 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:19:36 pm »

I tried a ... demo of it awhile back, but the controls turned me off so fast that I didn't feel inclined to continue playing. Thinking back, it may play better with an X-Box 360 controller (if supported). I dunno. Might give it another go with a fresh perspective later this month.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:10:32 pm »

Yeah, I have to agree with the issues you guys are saying about the controls, and true, they are clunky.  To me the most frustrating thing is the use bar (it's also bound to jump), so for example, if you're trying to open a chest, or get on your horse and you are still moving a little, sometimes you just jump instead of use.

However, aside from that, I have put in over 10 hours now, and have just gotten used to the controls.  While some of the enemies were tough at first, you very quickly become a bad ass...   err, until you get into a new area.

I thought some of the quests were fun, and had decent little side missions.  I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I just really liked the atmosphere this one had.

I just can't remember the last time I played a really good RPG.  I'm looking forward to Deus Ex 3, and, of course, Skyrim.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 11:12:30 pm »

It is miles ahead of Two Worlds 1, which was, in my opinion, a monumental pile of shit for what I paid for it (£40). Though it could still be so much better.

I think the poor controls have something to do with it being ported from consoles.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 11:55:36 pm »

The right mouse button being used to block, run, alternate fire is also simply horrible. Specially because movement is so awkward.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 05:37:04 am »

On that part of the game where you had to shoot multiple enemies with your bow, I had to rebind my controls to another button because I couldn't right-click twice whilst left-clicking. I didn't think MOST mice could do that.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 12:23:53 pm »

Almost sounds like you're on a mac. :V