Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Darling, you gotta let me know: should I Stay or should I Go?  (Read 27422 times)

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
Re: Zathras' Soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia! Also, CHESS!
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2011, 07:54:00 am »

you should just set things to the best settings.

And what are these "best" settings? Who decided them? You? Who the fuck are you? You can never be as cool as webadict, and I have not seen a "webadict-approved" list of settings. So, ultimately, your settings are as lame as mine, unless webadict weighs in.
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2011, 08:01:11 am »

And what are these "best" settings? Who decided them? You? Who the fuck are you? You can never be as cool as webadict, and I have not seen a "webadict-approved" list of settings. So, ultimately, your settings are as lame as mine, unless webadict weighs in.

I believe Webadict uses the max posts-per-page setting, although I dunno if he uses a lame background style or not. If he does use a lame one, shame on him. I think Toady once said the black was supposed to be the default, I just think he couldn't figure out how to change it and just doesn't care that much.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2011, 08:16:00 am »

I believe [...]
You must be mistaking me for someone who gives a fuck about what you believe. Are there "webadict-approved" settings or not? If there aren't, then you're as lame as I am. If there are, then they must be used by those who wish to be (almost) as cool as webadict.

Was there any other point to your useless diatribe about posts per page, background colour, timezone offset, smiley setting or other utter superfluous variable name to invoke?
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2011, 10:40:07 am »

I believe Webadict uses the max posts-per-page setting, although I dunno if he uses a lame background style or not. If he does use a lame one, shame on him. I think Toady once said the black was supposed to be the default, I just think he couldn't figure out how to change it and just doesn't care that much.
Maximum posts per page?!? Never! I use default too!

But, I do use Darkling for the style.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2011, 11:03:23 am »

Why would you use the default? Unless you like wasting your time clicking on links to go to other pages, of course. Whatever, it's your time you're wasting.

Hey, you all have images enabled in your signatures, yes?
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2011, 11:07:15 am »

Why would you use the default? Unless you like wasting your time clicking on links to go to other pages, of course. Whatever, it's your time you're wasting.

Hey, you all have images enabled in your signatures, yes?
It's easier to manage with default. Sure, it's more page clicking, but my Home and End button are very close to other buttons, and maximizing pages is a nightmare waiting to happen.

And no, I don't.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2011, 11:40:34 am »

The physical size limits on them are tight enough that you don't have to worry about them being big... although the file size limits are loose enough that you can make animated gifs in signatures. Luckily nobody's abused that fact with things such as flashing boxes or whatever. That's probably related to 90% of the community having them off since that's the defaults and/or not liking them and/or being paranoid about dicks using flashing boxes as their signature.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2011, 01:47:55 pm »

Hm.

In the second game between Web and Book, as Book I think I would have cut my losses with 29. Qc1 instead of 29. Qa4.

Offer that queen trade; support the pawn with the rook. Could be able to force a rook trade, and with some solid pawn-king play, could force Web into King vs. King-Bishop and tie the match.

Just some very rough speculation, though. As I said, I'm pretty rusty.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2011, 03:46:15 pm »

Hm.

In the second game between Web and Book, as Book I think I would have cut my losses with 29. Qc1 instead of 29. Qa4.

Offer that queen trade; support the pawn with the rook. Could be able to force a rook trade, and with some solid pawn-king play, could force Web into King vs. King-Bishop and tie the match.

Just some very rough speculation, though. As I said, I'm pretty rusty.
He was running low on time. He had to force me into a mate or lose, as I wouldn't have been able to lose. If he had played 29. Qc1, I would have played Rc8. He'd have lost the passed pawn at that point, as Qxc5 would be met by Bxc5, protecting the Rook, the lone pawn and threatening his pawn. Not only that, but not taking the Queen would end badly for him. Once I connected my Queen and Rook, I could threaten checkmate or a material advantage.

The move I thought he should have done was 21 cxd7. It has a very nice forcing move after 21...Kf8 (21...Kd8 22 Nf7#) 22 Qc6

At this point, the black queen finds itself under attack, losing the attack on the Knight at c3, and forcing itself to either get support, or move.

Seeing as how White wants the Queen gone, he's willing to trade up. 22...Qxc6 23 Nxc6
Now Black can't threaten the Pawn. Bb5 is blocked, Ra7 is blocked, Rd8 is blocked. The only move left is
23...Bb7
Followed by
24 d8=Q Bxd8 25 Nxd8 Rxd8 losing the passed Pawn, but maintaining a slight positional and material advantage. (Not 24 Ne5 as 24...Bxb4 pins the Knight and loses another Pawn for White, plus opens up the Rook for attack)

Now, if Black refuses the trade, by Qd8 or Qb7 Black faces some hard positional problems, like lack of Queen maneuverability and having White bring in his Rook. It gets really ugly, since black can't break the attack.

And as I'm no expert, what I say about this might very well be wrong, but that's what I see. And I have no chess engine to check against right now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2011, 09:29:44 pm »

I remember things getting so much easier to manage in games when I switched to max posts per page, especially when doing serious rereads.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2011, 04:23:33 pm »

People should play chess. I want to watch some games.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2011, 04:35:19 pm »

Well, I'm on as Leafsnail.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2011, 05:07:12 pm »

Well, I'm on as Leafsnail.
But... are you playing games I can watch?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2011, 05:24:41 pm »

Well, does anyone on at the moment want to play?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2011, 05:26:51 pm »

Well, does anyone on at the moment want to play?
I would, but I have to work in a bit. I'll watch and/or play in about an hour and a half, when no one will judge me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14