Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Darling, you gotta let me know: should I Stay or should I Go?  (Read 27443 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Zathras is dead, long live Book!
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 09:58:07 pm »

I accept the responsibility of arbiter in this gentlemanly encounter.  I shall see that all parties are represented equally.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 10:09:23 pm »

Ah, the bastard child of cowardice and apathy starts to rise its ugly head, I see.

Well, if you're going to make it tournament style... I was assuming this challenge was rather simpler and not taking more than an hour.
An hour? Is your King of the Mafia title only worth an hour of your time? It seems to me that you're just taking the position of "oh, this may not be as easy as I thought, I'd rather make it seem I never cared to begin with"; hence the bastard child I mention.

If you can't spend more than a couple of hours, I am almost ready posit chess, best of three games (with tie-breakers) and a 60m/game control. Assuming no ties, it shouldn't take more than an afternoon or two. Were I to propose this, would these conditions be agreeable to you?

Please be specific. Should Book lose, what is it that you claim ownership to? Account password, avatar, worldy possessions or something else?
... Hmm, I suppose I'll have to fight for something, now won't I? Fine. since Zathras is clearly your slave, you release him from such clutches. Also, you say, as quoted:
webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.
That should be fair.
Yeah, the "what? me? you have nothing I want!" bastard child again. Should I lose, I'll say that and sig it for at least 120 days, relinquish the password, avatar, source to lurkertracker, or almost anything else you claim, as long as you do claim it ahead of time and we agree.

ETA: Rereading, "you release him from such clutches" sounds like you'd like me to abandon Book and become Zathras again. Yes: I am ready to do that if I lose this challenge.

Ah, my bad. I skipped over the last bit. Toaster shall do for the arbiter. As for two aides-de-camp... I shall pick any Mafians that volunteer. Should none volunteer, I shall go through the challenge with none.
Yeah. "what? Should I care?" again. Toaster, I am glad you've agreed to be drafted as arbiter and final adjudicator. Please speak with objections, further conditions, or comments. Who is the owner of Zathras' soul and King of the Mafia is now in your hands. If anyone wants to see webadict emerge with his honour untarnished from this, now is the time to speak up.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:27:25 pm by Book »
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 11:27:29 pm »

It seems kind of sad you two want to settle your difference via chess. I dunno, it seems more suitable to settle things via mafia. We could make it chess mafia, if you insist on chess.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Book

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 11:57:32 pm »

It seems kind of sad you two want to settle your difference via chess. I dunno, it seems more suitable to settle things via mafia. We could make it chess mafia, if you insist on chess.

It has been done, took bloody ages, and wasn't nearly as much fun as people hoped... though the game was rather good.

No. This is a tête-à-tête challenge, which cannot, by definition, be resolved by mafia alone. A different game is needed. Chess is probably optimal, since it's a one-on-one game of skill rather than chance. Rock-Paper-Scissors is too random, and others have odd requirements like teams (iSketch or charades), real-time, chance (heads-tails) or physical presence (swords), which is impractical.

The more I think about it, the best solution is probably a best-of-three speedchess thing (60/g is speedy enough for me, though if pressed I could do less); but maybe poker (7-card stud or hold'em) or some high-score/speedrun in a mutually agreed videogame could be doable, but we'd have to agree on which and how.

Regardless, the game is on, unless someone chickens out. The choice of game is up to me, but  suggestions are welcome. How do you think this should be decided? The final choice will be certified fair by Toaster. The stakes: if wuba wins, he can have anything of Zathras' or Book's he chooses, and/or I'll do or say as he wants, and/or abandon Book and be Zathras again, as long as it's agreed beforehand; if I win, I become King of the Mafia until such time when I lose it in open competition.

The gauntlet is thrown, and the challenge is fair. The Devil is in the details, though.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:11:39 am by Book »
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 08:41:48 am »

Ah, the bastard child of cowardice and apathy starts to rise its ugly head, I see.
Oh, project project project...

An hour? Is your King of the Mafia title only worth an hour of your time? It seems to me that you're just taking the position of "oh, this may not be as easy as I thought, I'd rather make it seem I never cared to begin with"; hence the bastard child I mention.
It has more to do with the time schedule of things. I am rather busy on most days, but if you MUST have this competition go on for several hours for some reason, at least allow me to split it up, so you don't win by my suicide.

If you can't spend more than a couple of hours, I am almost ready posit chess, best of three games (with tie-breakers) and a 60m/game control. Assuming no ties, it shouldn't take more than an afternoon or two. Were I to propose this, would these conditions be agreeable to you?
I agree.

Yeah, the "what? me? you have nothing I want!" bastard child again. Should I lose, I'll say that and sig it for at least 120 days, relinquish the password, avatar, source to lurkertracker, or almost anything else you claim, as long as you do claim it ahead of time and we agree.
Simply saying the quote unquoted shall be enough.

ETA: Rereading, "you release him from such clutches" sounds like you'd like me to abandon Book and become Zathras again. Yes: I am ready to do that if I lose this challenge.
That would require mafia stuffs to be disrupted. But, you may now change the thread title to something more befitting.

Yeah. "what? Should I care?" again. Toaster, I am glad you've agreed to be drafted as arbiter and final adjudicator. Please speak with objections, further conditions, or comments. Who is the owner of Zathras' soul and King of the Mafia is now in your hands. If anyone wants to see webadict emerge with his honour untarnished from this, now is the time to speak up.
I would appreciate such volunteers. Which aides-de-camp do you choose?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 12:55:49 pm »

What exactly would such a volunteer do in a speedchess match, anyway?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 01:27:06 pm »

Cheer? Or possibly boo?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 02:24:12 pm »

This has actually made me come up with an interesting mafia game idea with two known (and unkillable) leaders. You'd still have a pool of 'town' players, amongst them are hidden mafia players. The two leaders are basically trying to outplay one another. Could be a lot of fun, if it's set up correctly.

Toaster, if you're interested, I can pm you with my thoughts on it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 03:01:23 pm »

This has actually made me come up with an interesting mafia game idea with two known (and unkillable) leaders. You'd still have a pool of 'town' players, amongst them are hidden mafia players. The two leaders are basically trying to outplay one another. Could be a lot of fun, if it's set up correctly.

Toaster, if you're interested, I can pm you with my thoughts on it.

So Beginner Mafia's IC's? That could work in a more complex game, but it's not nearly as interesting as you might think since the known scum's best way to play is to not talk at all to the town.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 03:22:43 pm »

Go for it.  I actually had a similar idea, perhaps somewhat mixing it with Pick Your Scumteam.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Book

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Challenge for Zathras' Soul / KotM is ON!
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 06:10:17 pm »

Oh, project project project...
Heh. Ok, I withdraw that. It just seemed to me you wanted to suddenly distance yourself from the challenge, but it doesn't seem to be the case, so we're cool.

It has more to do with the time schedule of things. I am rather busy on most days, but if you MUST have this competition go on for several hours for some reason, at least allow me to split it up, so you don't win by my suicide. [...]
I agree.
Sounds like a plan. Unless a better idea comes up, I think best of three speed chess will be it. We can exchange PMs with Toaster for specifics, find out an agreeable schedule and so on.

It is, indeed, on.  Coolness.

Rereading, "you release him from such clutches" sounds like you'd like me to abandon Book and become Zathras again. Yes: I am ready to do that if I lose this challenge.
That would require mafia stuffs to be disrupted. But, you may now change the thread title to something more befitting.
If returning Zathras to activity is something you'd like, I'm sure it can be arranged. Only BYOR6.3 (and soon P18) would be affected, and I don't think it would be a big deal; one is very fresh and the other hasn't started yet. So it's up to you to add it to the stakes if you wish.

For my side, as I said earlier: if I win, I become King of the Mafia. I get to use it on my profile, and you must remove it from yours (a quote on your sig acknowledging me as the new King would be nice, but not required). I will be ready to defend that title if/when a new KotM of agreeable rules/timing is started.

If anyone wants to see webadict emerge with his honour untarnished from this, now is the time to speak up.
I would appreciate such volunteers. Which aides-de-camp do you choose?
Quote from: Leafnsail
What exactly would such a volunteer do in a speedchess match, anyway?
Quote from: webadict
Cheer? Or possibly boo?

Indeed, aides would be merely for moral support, cheering, booing, witnessing and so forth. But yes, not really an active role in a match such as chess. So I too will open it up for volunteers, or send a couple of PMs. But it'll be, as you say, not a major point.

Quote from: Mephansteras
This has actually made me come up with an interesting mafia game idea with two known (and unkillable) leaders.
Sounds promising, but we'll save that for the next challenge.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Challenge for Zathras' Soul / King of the Mafia is ON!
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 09:16:28 pm »

*nods*

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2011, 10:11:29 pm »

Sounds like a plan. Unless a better idea comes up, I think best of three speed chess will be it. We can exchange PMs with Toaster for specifics, find out an agreeable schedule and so on.

It is, indeed, on.  Coolness.
I am probably going to lose, but that doesn't mean I might not lose... If that makes sense!

If returning Zathras to activity is something you'd like, I'm sure it can be arranged. Only BYOR6.3 (and soon P18) would be affected, and I don't think it would be a big deal; one is very fresh and the other hasn't started yet. So it's up to you to add it to the stakes if you wish.
Psh. That was for dramatic effect. Now, you must say the quote, and you must also say that you enjoy watching... Jersey Shore.

For my side, as I said earlier: if I win, I become King of the Mafia. I get to use it on my profile, and you must remove it from yours (a quote on your sig acknowledging me as the new King would be nice, but not required). I will be ready to defend that title if/when a new KotM of agreeable rules/timing is started.
Accepted.

Indeed, aides would be merely for moral support, cheering, booing, witnessing and so forth. But yes, not really an active role in a match such as chess. So I too will open it up for volunteers, or send a couple of PMs. But it'll be, as you say, not a major point.
Chess.com has "Live Chess," where we can set up time limits and the like, plus spectators are allowed. Plus, it's free to sign up.

Book

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2011, 10:21:34 pm »

Psh. That was for dramatic effect. Now, you must say the quote, and you must also say that you enjoy watching... Jersey Shore.
Aaargh! OK, it's a deal. But it seems the stakes are rather low on your side. If you think of anything else you'd like me to concede if I lose, I'll probably be OK with that. As long as it's stated prior to the actual match.

Chess.com has "Live Chess," where we can set up time limits and the like, plus spectators are allowed. Plus, it's free to sign up.
Right. I haven't been there in ages, but I'll look it up. Since I'm on linux, I may see if they support xboard or other clients, but it's a minor point. I'm sure we'll make it work.

I'll send PMs in a few to you an Toaster, I think we should find time some time this weekend for this. Once we are agreed, I'll publish the schedule here so in case any bay12-ers want to come be kibitzers.

See you on the battlefield, your Majesty.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Challenge for Zathras' Soul / King of the Mafia is ON!
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 10:25:33 pm »

This weekend is a no-go. I have no internet at home, which is where I'm headed this weekend. I think next weekend would work, but if other days work before then, then that should work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14