Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adventure mode gets repetive.  (Read 1607 times)

Isa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode gets repetive.
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:33:29 pm »

It's becomes boring, when you receive three or more similar quests to kill an bronze colossus and so on. My recent adventurer had to kill literally 16 night creatures before, I started to get megabeasts quests. I think there is not enough variety in the quests, for example you never get an quest to kill an undead or to assassinate someone.

Or maybe I need to generate a new world, which settings (parameters?) do you recommend? I think there are too many megabeasts (including fucking night creatures) out there, which makes the quests repetive.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode gets repetive.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 06:36:43 pm »

Don't do those quests. Give yourself quests.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:37:43 pm »

uuuh, yes?
I mean just yes, it's level and equipment grinding at it's finest right now.
Though the darkness below are the ultimate challenge if you're a badass adventurer.
It still provide for hours of fun and !!!fun!!! right now, but it's not a secret that it need to be fleshed out, and that it will be fleshed out in the few next releases.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Isa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:43:22 pm »

Don't do those quests. Give yourself quests.

But how? I tried pillaging villages and forts, but that get's boring aswell. I heard how people manage to have epic encounters in adventure mode, but for me it's just kill night creature blah blah blah.

My new world has these parameters:

World size: small
Number of civilizations: very high
Maxinum number of sites: medium
Number of beasts: high
Natural savagery: very high.

Should I proceed with these settings?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 07:14:09 pm by Isa »

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 06:58:08 pm »

I generally like bigger worlds more for adventure mode, the rest of the settings seems fine tho. You might want to increase the titan count in advanced parameters (if that is even possible) as that would mean more interesting stuff to kill (i find night creatures rather boring, too).

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 07:15:31 pm »

Honestly? I go on hunting expeditions. If I learn that leopards hunt around in the forest (or whatever), well maybe I should bag me some leopard hide! Giant eagles in the mountains? Beats game fowl! Evil grassland nearby? Let's go fight some werewolves! And don't even get me started on what happens when I find a relatively unknown Titan in legends and figure out where he lives.

I guess what I'm getting at is the game's as fun as you make it. It's not all slaying bandits and sacking small farming communities. Just play around until you find what amuses you.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:14:26 pm »

Honestly? I go on hunting expeditions. If I learn that leopards hunt around in the forest (or whatever), well maybe I should bag me some leopard hide! Giant eagles in the mountains? Beats game fowl! Evil grassland nearby? Let's go fight some werewolves!
This will be far more fun when adventurers can use workshops...

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 09:29:37 pm »

or lay a singular siege against a fortress.
!!fun!!

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 10:32:39 pm »

Torture is a great pass-time.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 02:27:14 am »

Honestly? I go on hunting expeditions. If I learn that leopards hunt around in the forest (or whatever), well maybe I should bag me some leopard hide! Giant eagles in the mountains? Beats game fowl! Evil grassland nearby? Let's go fight some werewolves!
This will be far more fun when adventurers can use workshops...
Agreed. For now I'll have to settle for selling butchered animal parts to the local weapons dealer.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 03:13:50 am »

I have a tendency to collect the skulls of everything I slay.. Why you ask? I say why not?
Tough it might eventually slow me down in the long run.. unless I die first.  ;D

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 05:50:24 am »

If Adv Mode gets boring for you, your likely the type of person who needs goals.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 06:42:25 am »

Ask townfolk about the surroundings! Sometimes you'll where to find some rarer monsters the questgivers might not tell you about!
Also do long worldgens and make some dwarf fortresses every now and again to get artifacts and underground megabeasts to fight!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 11:59:13 am »

well you could set up a Mega Project. back in 40d one of my Mega Projects was to have a adventuress give birth and raise a child. Spent a good summer on that and had to use utilities until I figure out that you could just slap pet and remove any trace of intelligence on the race your adventure is then tame and capture them... or I think buying the opposite gender of that race then wait until the adventuress water breaks could work as well. Now I'm running a Caravan challenge using Dfusion and researching on ways to send out commands to companions. Hopefully I can find out how to get the Zombie code to not mark you an enemy of the Civ when you or other creatures attack them. many of times I spent running out of zombie events in annoyance of that issue
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 02:57:39 pm »

What I do for adventuring is I start an adventurer and retire. I find out where my adventurer retired and build a castle for him nearby with fortress mode. Then I unretire the adventurer and set up a base in the castle.
Pages: [1] 2