Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Morrowind is cool again  (Read 28494 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Morrowind is cool again
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2011, 01:37:17 pm »

After trying them both modded up, I certainly thought so. Without mods, the gap is even larger.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2011, 01:37:55 pm »

I mean I have a single core CPU and I have no problems at all.

That's because you have a single core CPU.

Generally speaking, Morrowind's engine gets horribly inefficient once you start raising texture dimensions. At least it's better at handling tons of NPCs in the same room than Oblivion is.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2011, 01:44:16 pm »

Is Morrowind better than Oblivion?

On points, yes. That doesn't mean there's not a lot wrong with it, mind. They're both built to the exact same formula, but they still manage to be polar opposites to each other in that everything that was wrong in Morrowind Oblivion fixed and everything that was great it fucked up.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2011, 01:46:31 pm »

I liked Morrowind's lore and story more, but Oblivion can be more eyecandy (much more). So they end up like totally different games for me.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2011, 01:52:31 pm »

I liked Morrowind's lore and story more, but Oblivion can be more eyecandy (much more). So they end up like totally different games for me.
Did you try installing Morrowind 2011?
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2011, 01:53:48 pm »

No because I haven't played Morrowind since... I think 2009 or early 2010. I'll check it now though, I am intrigued.

I hope I will be able to merge it with other 500+ mods I have so I don't have too many conflicts :P (Yeah I have like 9 Gb of Morrowind mods installed).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2011, 01:56:44 pm »

I think i try to have fun with Oblivion and start with 80% difficulty.
Dunno if i can find any awesome mods to have fun with?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2011, 01:57:57 pm »

The utter alien-ness of Morrowind was one of those endearing points for me.

Sadly, Oblivion lacked in this department other than Oblivion planes and a few token sea-creatures that logically would be prevalent.

I suppose it makes sense in a way, since as far as Tamriel goes, Vvardenfell is very unqiue in many ways due to the volcano dominating and shaping the land.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2011, 01:59:06 pm »

Morrowind has a much much more complex story and setting, dozens of factions, each with dozens of characters with their own intentions and motivations... I've always seen Morrowind as a living world, with a much better atmosphere ergo story than Oblivion ever could. Oblivion is just Tolkien-esque adventure, Morrowind is like... something totally new, un-seen, cultural and atmospheric.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2011, 02:04:22 pm »

I think i try to have fun with Oblivion and start with 80% difficulty.
Dunno if i can find any awesome mods to have fun with?
Check any list of "must have mods". Without them Oblivion is pretty bland IMHO. The terrible level lists alone make it almost unplayable.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2011, 06:34:02 pm »

No because I haven't played Morrowind since... I think 2009 or early 2010. I'll check it now though, I am intrigued.

I hope I will be able to merge it with other 500+ mods I have so I don't have too many conflicts :P (Yeah I have like 9 Gb of Morrowind mods installed).

I am still not clear what graphical mod to use, wouldnt adding them together cause problems? Deon, you list a graphical mod in you post on the first page and other have mentioned Morrowwind 2011 and Morrowwind Overhaul. Im so confused!
I got nothing

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2011, 06:45:44 pm »

I am still not clear what graphical mod to use, wouldnt adding them together cause problems? Deon, you list a graphical mod in you post on the first page and other have mentioned Morrowwind 2011 and Morrowwind Overhaul. Im so confused!
Graphical mods just replace textures and meshes in the Morrowind folder, they can't conflict with anything.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2011, 06:49:26 pm »

Well, unless you're silly and try to use two mods that replace the same stuff.

Also, if a mod adds new models, and those were supposed to fit in with regular Morrowind models, prepare for ugly!

But yeah, you'll probably be fine.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2011, 06:59:20 pm »

Also there is a reason why there are such thing as a "mod load order" and "merged files". Use any sane mod manager or and sorter and you will be fine.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2011, 10:11:45 pm »

i installed Morrowind 2011 and it is much more than just graphics, it seems to include at least some of the mods Deon has on his list up there because I went to load a couple such as 'Morrowind Comes Alive' and found it was already there.

The reason it is confusing to me is because I dont know much about the different mods and dont want to spend the time to learn it all. I dont want to load mods as a hobby, I just want to play a really good version of Morrowind. From what I understand, this is exactly why the creator re-packager of Morrowind 2011 did what he did and blast all the whiners for whining I say! YAR!

I wish I could easily tell what mods were included in Morrowind but I guess I will play it as is.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10