Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Morrowind is cool again  (Read 28516 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Morrowind is cool again
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2011, 01:36:14 am »

Frankly, with a community mod, it's best to allow as much freedom as possible because you just can't get everyone to do everything the same way. That's part of the reason why it'd be more of a hub with arbitrary branches.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2011, 08:43:45 am »

I've cut my teeth on TESCS, so I wouldn't mind doing something.

I've dicked around with modelling in the past, too. Mostly weapons, since y'know, baby steps, but I'm say I'm a semi-decent scripter these days. Just... don't ask me to texture anything. It doesn't work.

Although save for the exported files I probably have lost the stuff several times over. Oh well.

Still, I reinstalled thanks to this thread. And remembered how many damn mods I have. It's a clusterf***. I don't know what works and what doesn't, or which version is which. For instance, I've got three or four different, edited versions of Mog*Mod, two independent versions of MCA, about two dozen small mods that overlap hugely... and I can't remember half the old programs, or what have you. I'd start over, but there's stuff I don't want to lose, as well as other mods that have been tweaked and edited for various reasons... a mess. But hey, that's part of the appeal.

(Also loads of old mods that fixed stuff fixed in the MCP...)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2011, 08:55:09 am »

Most of all, the fact that the Morrowind world feels like a wax museum full of entirely static NPCs is a bit grating after at least having the Oblivion commoners wandering around.

Try the Morrowind Comes Alive mod.  It adds over 1000 NPCs to the world that have random equipment and appearances (according to the leveled-lists of course).

Also, I highly recommend picking up the Less Generic NPCs mod as well (I've compiled all of them into one rar file for easy downloading).  It adds completely unique dialog to nearly every static NPC in the game to flesh out their back stories and give you interesting information about the game world.

Never forget Building Up Uvirith's Grave if you're playing Telvanni. It's a whole new game with it.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2011, 11:18:03 am »

And Building Up Uvirith's Legacy, although I haven't really checked either of them yet; they are large.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2011, 01:03:51 pm »

You know, I used to love morrowind. But when I recently went back and tried to play it again, i couldn't get over how slow I ran. At the start I felt like a snail, even cheating and giving myself 100 speed, I only felt like I was about average speed in relation to Oblivion.
Thats why you get the boots of blinding speed. The only way to roll for long distances. Or if you really want to go fast mod yourself 1000 actobatics or speed. (Fun fact, those godamn cliff racers have a speed of like 500 or so, so even with modding and running crazy fast, they catch up with you and attack you).
Blinding speed!

I cheated myself crazy speed and I STILL felt slow. Then I felt bad about cheating. Then I quit.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2011, 01:28:47 pm »

There's a mod that fixes speed. I don't remember the name at the moment, but it's a huge help.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2011, 01:34:57 pm »

And Building Up Uvirith's Legacy, although I haven't really checked either of them yet; they are large.

Don't know the legacy one, but '...grave' makes you turn this mediocore, isolated stronghold of yours into an enormous, thriving town. Quite a few quests too.

Still, after playing DF far too much, i always wanted there to be an attack on the modded stronghold (lot's of defenders). I mean, i hired and hauled those hundrets of NPC's, then placed on towers, walls etc for a reason!
Gasp! Did i say that i played DF too much!? I must apologise to it by playing till i drop :D

There was a very large Redoran mod, which added tons of quests, places and NPC's, but it never got finished, so unless you know how to use TESCS well, i recommend not going anywhere near it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:39:31 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2011, 01:57:42 pm »

Where [...]Grave focuses on construction and that one place, Uvirith's Legacy focuses on politics and, to some extent, taking over the world. Quite a few people recommend them together, and Building Up Uvirith's Legacy is the compatibility version of Uvirith's Legacy.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2011, 02:45:35 pm »

Still, after playing DF far too much, i always wanted there to be an attack on the modded stronghold (lot's of defenders). I mean, i hired and hauled those hundrets of NPC's, then placed on towers, walls etc for a reason!
Gasp! Did i say that i played DF too much!? I must apologise to it by playing till i drop :D

Minor Pet Peeve:  Can we please stop using "DF" interchangeably for Dwarf Fortress and Daggerfall, especially in a thread about a TES game? (not that you did it, but I saw it earlier in the thread for the latter)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2011, 01:21:37 am »

I'm working on a mod:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It won't have any complex scripting; mainly it'll be a small bunch of new NPCs and a very small house mod in Balmora. In case you want another one. It mainly adds the docks that Balmora supposedly has in the lore.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2011, 03:39:07 am »

Reminds me of when I tried to do a Lore-Friendly Balmora expansion... It was huge, but got lost and eventualy deleted by myself. It would have added slums in front of walls and the city would be enriched with variuos artisan shops etc. Maybe I should really do it?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2011, 05:39:10 am »

Make sure to grab the Less Generic NPC mods first, so you can keep them compatible. Although they haven't done Balmora as a city (and the Balmora progress chart shows no writing done), a lot of NPCs in other cities reference it, and I think a couple send you there (but I've only checked Seyda Neen and a little of Vivec).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2011, 10:33:40 am »

The LGNPC is a must have.
The 1st time i played Morrowind, i was really annoyed by all the bunch of NPC that had no purpose out of just being placed on the map and no depth of characterisation to make them more than empty shells with the same generic answers.

Discovering LGNPC made Morrowind much, much better for me, it's a titanic and brillant effort from the modders involved to fill a part of the game that was more than very lacking.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2011, 02:05:25 am »

Any dwarfy mods out there?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2011, 06:25:08 am »

Any dwarfy mods out there?

TES universe does not have dwarves. Ok, they have, but they are extinct. And the dwarves are elves.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10