Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Morrowind is cool again  (Read 28520 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Morrowind is cool again
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 03:12:51 pm »

Morrowind was always cool. You were just not invited to the cool party.

Must reinstall that game soon, and find a fix for the black sun.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 03:24:28 pm »

I mean, come on, look at this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wrMWKSTspk&feature=player_embedded

I won't allow anyone tell me "Morrowind sucks because of graphics" now :). The community "fixed" it. I love Morrowind for its unique lore. Oblivion was great as a generic RPG, but it was too far from DF/Morrowind lore for me, I didn't feel it.

P.S. Also, THAT MUSIC! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWD2GOWHmFs&feature=related I love it.

Aweseome.  I haven't tried that latest Ascadian Isles mod. *Downloading*.

Seriously though, Bethesda needs to re-release the game as an Anniversary edition next year (2002 - 2012) and load it up with the latest and greatest mods from the community.  It would have a hassle-free installation without having to fiddle with MGE and other mod installations.  I would buy something like that in a heart-beat.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 03:28:37 pm »

Okay, I've added links to some essential mods 2 posts above.

However there are TONS of mods which may add to the game a lot.

These two sites have TONS of mods:
http://tesnexus.com/
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com - this one has actually more mods, tesnexus lost part of the database long time ago, but tesnexus is easier to browse.

If you want to play as a dark mage, there is a mod which allows you to enslave people and rise undead.
If you want to play as a vampire, there is a "Vampire Embrace" (I think 3.0 already) mod which greatly expands an experience and lets you have your own vampire clan, really drink blood (with animations) and even turn into a bat.

Lots of mods out there, explore!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 03:29:17 pm »

I won't allow anyone tell me "Morrowind sucks because of graphics" now :). The community "fixed" it. I love Morrowind for its unique lore. Oblivion was great as a generic RPG, but it was too far from DF/Morrowind lore for me, I didn't feel it.

P.S. Also, THAT MUSIC! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWD2GOWHmFs&feature=related I love it.

Seriously though, Bethesda needs to re-release the game as an Anniversary edition next year (2002 - 2012) and load it up with the latest and greatest mods from the community.  It would have a hassle-free installation without having to fiddle with MGE and other mod installations.  I would buy something like that in a heart-beat.
Latest and greatest mods? Are you kidding? :)

Just look at this a-few-years-old-list
http://www.mwmythicmods.com/realism.htm

It's just a SMALL part of awesome list of mods :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 03:33:09 pm »

Latest and greatest mods? Are you kidding? :)

Just look at this a-few-years-old-list
http://www.mwmythicmods.com/realism.htm

It's just a SMALL part of awesome list of mods :).

Yeah, that's why I said, "latest and greatest".

You'd have to be careful with some mods, however, because there are quite a few that have copyright source material.  I don't really like some of the texture mods that replace the textile banners in the game with random fantasy book covers.  And I could see some fans throwing a fit over including some of the more "colorful" mods out there that break the theme of the game

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 03:34:54 pm »

That mage that keeps killing you with a fireball is the one in the cave near Seyda Neen with the slaves, right?

Heh, I'm pretty sure he only has enough Magicka to cast it once. If you can get through the first door in that cave, the rest of it should be easy.

I think its more likely that you're entering battle with them while low on fatigue, making it easy for them to knock you down.

Only unarmed attacks from NPCs (not creatures) do fatigue damage. You do make a good point, though - never fight when low on fatigue. Get used to walking (yes, walking, not running) everywhere until you level up a bit.

By your description, I'm guessing you were attempting the first Fighters Guild quest.

I don't know how much Luck affects things.

Not a great deal. ~2 points of luck can give you an extra 1% spell success rate.

Protip: Make up your own class using a race that has bonuses as low as possible in the skills you want to choose.

Powerplaying isn't important in Morrowind as the game is ridiculously easy to break and there's decent content distribution. Oblivion is another matter entirely.

but tesnexus is easier to browse

Does not compute.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 03:36:47 pm »

Also, a few quite important mods:

BETTER TOWNS
1) Living cities of vvardenfell: puts many of the NPCs of Morrowind on daily schedules. NPCs will move about over the course of day, going to work, temple, the local tavern, or simply wandering around town. At night, more guards come out, while NPCs lock up their shops and go home and turn down the lights. Here you go if you wanted your "oblivion schedules with people locking doors".

2) Regionally Known Criminals - guards do not magically know that you're a criminal all around the world. You have "criminal status", separate for each region and city.

HARDCORE MODS
Primary needs: you have to eat, drink and sleep. If you missed it after playing Fallout: New Vegas, here it is, invented years ago.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:38:29 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 03:38:49 pm »

And you can still be a good mage in Morrowind, but you have to rely on potions, so mages should be good alchemists. Actually Morrowind alchemy is really broken (too overpowered), but it's another topic.

This is precisely one of the main reasons why I love Morrowind over Oblivion.  The horrible imbalances gave you the freedom to play exactly how you wanted.  Morrowind is a Role-player's dream, but a Game-player's nightmare.  If you approached the game as not something to beat, but something to experience, you were going to have a lot more fun.  Balance, IMO, takes the fun out of RPGs.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 03:40:35 pm »

It's not a problem for me, I am used to mods :). I only need a good "base" with unique lore and some good storyline/quests which make me interested, everything else can be modded in (and already was) :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 03:46:48 pm »

I've played morrowind before, and still have it, but it's been a long time. I don't remember anymore what I used to install mods or if there was a way to make sure they were compatible, but it sure is easy nowadays with Fallout 3 and New Vegas to use Fallout Mod Manager (which lets you package mods into packages to install and uninstall easily) and FO3Edit (which lets you compare installed .esp files, find differences, and merge changes between them to make them compatible, along with merging leveled lists and such).

What I'm wondering is if there are any programs like those for Morrowind?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 03:52:18 pm »

You know, I installed a lot of mods for Oblivion, but it seemed like it never made much of a difference for me.  The core game was so poor that even a hundred mods couldn't hide the bad taste I got from it.  I think the problem was that Vanilla Morrowind felt pretty empty, and was easy to fill up with great mods.  Oblivion, on the other hand, already shipped with a lot of junk.  I think it's harder to make a game better by taking things away than it is to add things to it, if that makes sense.

For example, the Unique Landscapes mod for Oblivion sounds pretty cool at first glance.  But then you realize that most of it is just more forests with some slight tweaks.  It doesn't really make the game feel any different because it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Morrowind already had great, diverse dungeons and landscapes out of the box.  Oblivion came with forests and a lot of identical, randomly generated, dungeons as well as identical, boring cities.  To fix Oblivion, you would have to strip the world of all forests, cities, dungeons, and leveled-lists and start over.  To fix Morrowind, you needed to only add new textures and mechanics on top of an already great base.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:57:27 pm by GaelicVigil »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 03:57:39 pm »

Look at my post #12. "Morrowind plugin manager" it is.

Also, how could I forget!

Complete Morrowind Full : even if it has a dumb name, it's an awesome mod.  Adds cooking; sewing(tailoring), including both cloth and leather items; pPottery Making; woodcutting; carpentry; mining; smithing; making bonemold\chitin items; brewing poisons; making arrows, bolts, darts, throwing knives, and throwing stars; poisoning any arrows\bolts\darts\throwing weapons with one of nine types of poisons; filling your bottles with drinks from kegs and water from wells; making straw items and setting campfires and many other stuff. It's a compilation of all "complete morrowind" crafting mods.

Also Combat Enhanced! It adds30 different combat combos performed using simple combinations of the basic attacks(i.e. Slash, Slash, Thrust). There are 5 combos for each of the 6 weapon types(Long Blade, Short Blade, Blunt Weapon, Axe, Spear, and Unarmed). The combos range from stat drains to knockdowns to decapitations. Also there is a "rage" and "combat trance" concept implemented, so everyone who was bitching about "bad combat mechanics" should try it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 03:59:11 pm »

The first thing I noticed about Oblivion, as soon as I installed the editor, was that unlike Morrowind, which approached map editing with a LEGO grid-like design (little cubes as small as a corner of a corridor. 4 of these were required for a room), Oblivion's "tiles" were HUGE and a lot of them came pre-furnished. While the former had the occasional huge cavern with lots of small cave tunnels that you glued together, a dungeon in Oblivion was made of 3 or 4 big tiles, which were the caverns with winding corridors around them included :P

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 04:02:16 pm »

Oblivion's "tiles" were HUGE and a lot of them came pre-furnished. While the former had the occasional huge cavern with lots of small cave tunnels that you glued together, a dungeon in Oblivion was made of 3 or 4 big tiles, which were the caverns with winding corridors around them included :P

I'm fairly sure you're wrong.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 04:05:52 pm »

No, Oblivion had really huge "main" dungeon tiles which made cave making really hard. You couldn't make 3-story-high caves for example, no matter how you tried. I've made a few mods with dwarven settlements and a svirfneblin town, and it's really hard :). For example, Fallout had much better cave tiles avaliable from the start.

Oblivion's "tiles" were HUGE and a lot of them came pre-furnished. While the former had the occasional huge cavern with lots of small cave tunnels that you glued together, a dungeon in Oblivion was made of 3 or 4 big tiles, which were the caverns with winding corridors around them included :P

I'm fairly sure you're wrong.
Proof? Saying something like that without any proof sounds not really polite. It's like saying "you lie".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10