Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Morrowind is cool again  (Read 28491 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Morrowind is cool again
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:49:40 pm »

Hey, so I re-installed morrowind. After getting all the patches and stuff, I think I've got it working.

That game is awesome. I'm going to have to get a crossbow or throwing stars as soon as possible. Or maybe a spear.

There's a few things I miss from more recent Bethesda games... hard as it is to say, Oblivion's inventory screen did at least sort stuff more intelligently, and gave more info on each item. Physics was nice in Oblivion, even if it didn't do much gameplaywise. And I guess that the randomizeable (if ugly) faces prevented NPCs from seeming to clonelike.

That said, I like Morrowind's dialogue system far better than Oblivion's, and the plot was even better. I'd have loved to see Morrowind's unique design implemented in an engine like Oblivions, rather than MIDEVIL BRITISH COUNTRYSIDE #4528 repeated again and again. Most of all, the fact that the Morrowind world feels like a wax museum full of entirely static NPCs is a bit grating after at least having the Oblivion commoners wandering around.

And oddly, the world map in Morrowind seems far larger than the one in Oblivion, despite being smaller. Even with the view distance mod, which lets you stand on a roof in Seda Neen and see Vivec, [edit... what happened here?] the world still seems huge. Possibly because unlike Oblivion's concave terrain, Morrowind is defined by an impressive mountain in the center, blocking view of the rest of the world rather naturally.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:28:37 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Morrowind is cool again
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 01:52:24 pm »

I forgot, are crossbow normally loaded and then you shoot them by clicking the button, or is it some retarded bow clone where the longer you "pull" on the crossbow the farther the bolt travels?

I don't even remember if bows in Morrowind behaved like that.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 02:00:34 pm »

Bows are like that, crossbows are click-to-shoot. I think.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 02:10:55 pm »

When working through the games I own and haven't played yet I ended up playing Morrowind for the first time. So far my characters have been burning to death by the second smuggler they met, while my most 'successful' ended up being stun locked by a pair of rats, the 2 and 3rd rats I'd ever met in game. I just haven't been able to get into it yet, but I suppose I should gets some mods installed and give it another go. It did take me a while to get into a lot of games I now love, Fallout 2 being the most recent. So any tips?

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 02:13:55 pm »

Most of all, the fact that the Morrowind world feels like a wax museum full of entirely static NPCs is a bit grating after at least having the Oblivion commoners wandering around.

Try the Morrowind Comes Alive mod.  It adds over 1000 NPCs to the world that have random equipment and appearances (according to the leveled-lists of course).

Also, I highly recommend picking up the Less Generic NPCs mod as well (I've compiled all of them into one rar file for easy downloading).  It adds completely unique dialog to nearly every static NPC in the game to flesh out their back stories and give you interesting information about the game world.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:18:02 pm by GaelicVigil »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 02:17:07 pm »

Ahhh, morrowind, so easy to break late game :)
My favorite feature of oblivion (that they didn't have in morrowind) would have to be how you could be a pure mage (because your mana regenerates over time instead of only when you sleep), while in morrowind you would have to sleep after you cast a couple of spells.
On the other side, morrowind has so many features that oblivion missed and didn't have, that despite the graphics, its still a far better game.

And oddly, the world map in Morrowind seems far larger than the one in Oblivion, despite being smaller. Even with the view distance mod, which lets you stand on a roof in Seda Neen and see Vivec, you don't need to
I think thats because of the fast travel. If you want to get from point A to point B in morrowind, unless its a city, you have to run there from the nearest city you can get to with fast travel (and the fact that the huge mountain ranges were in the way of travel, and moving 10 seconds space wise away could take a few minutes or running around the ridges or trying to jump over the mountain).
If you want to get to point A to point B in oblivion, you can fast travel to the nearest explored point, so going somewhere a second time would take 5 seconds, and going somewhere nearby would take take nearly no time at all.

When working through the games I own and haven't played yet I ended up playing Morrowind for the first time. So far my characters have been burning to death by the second smuggler they met, while my most 'successful' ended up being stun locked by a pair of rats, the 2 and 3rd rats I'd ever met in game. I just haven't been able to get into it yet, but I suppose I should gets some mods installed and give it another go. It did take me a while to get into a lot of games I now love, Fallout 2 being the most recent. So any tips?
I could be wrong, but i don't think rats can stun you. And how were you burning to death? spells? or enchanted weapons?
Tips:
Magic is strong early game, despite having to sleep after you run out of mana it does lots of damage, and doesn't miss.
Don't use medium armor (very little of it), use light (less protection, weighs less), or heavy (more protection, but weighs more).
If you are getting attacked by a mage, try to stay your distance and dodge the spells.
Don't use a weapon you aren't trained in (so basically if you use a weapon, you need to either take it as one of your minor/major specializations (preferably major) and preferably have it as part of your species bonuses). You will miss basically every attack if you aren't trained in it.
EDIT: i haven't played in ages, so i could be wrong about this stuff, but i don't think i am.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:22:05 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Kuppo

• Bay Watcher
  • Cubor Oram, Stegėth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 02:18:08 pm »

Actually, the Morrowind world is much larger than the Oblivion world.

And, yeah, I agree, there is so much hype around the new Elder Scrolls game, but all I want is a better Morrowind!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 02:19:05 pm »

And oddly, the world map in Morrowind seems far larger than the one in Oblivion, despite being smaller. Even with the view distance mod, which lets you stand on a roof in Seda Neen and see Vivec, you don't need to
Seems the cliff-racers got him before he could finish his review.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 02:25:21 pm »

Tip 1: The thing with the package for Caius Cosades is part of the Main Quest. You can follow that if you like, or just ignore it and bump around on your own, or some mixture of the two.

Tip 2: Try not to steal from shops because if you steal a fork from a shop he will assume any fork you ever sell to him again is HIS stolen fork.

Tip 3: Explore everywhere. Towns are great for looting. If you're in, say, a guard tower and there is a guard, and you want to know if he will spot you when you steal a thing on the wall, just crouch. If the "hidden" icon comes up he can't see you. You might stand such that a post blocks his line of sight for example. In some places this can get very tricky! Don't bother cleaning out the whole town of eggs and napkins though because it makes the town look bare and the junk isn't worth that much money anyway.

Tip 4: You can max out all the skills, so don't worry about that. More important is the ability score part. When you rest you might level up if you gained enough skill points. Try to gain enough skill points to get a x5 multiplier for the related ability score on level-up. Luck only ever gives you 1 point per level up so you can't really help that. I don't know how much Luck affects things.

Protip: Make up your own class using a race that has bonuses as low as possible in the skills you want to choose. Pick exactly one weapon skill (not unarmed) and Heavy armor. The rest can be anything, but Acrobatics and Athetics are nice because they level up quickly and are super useful. You choose a race that has sucky bonuses to skills you want, because you start with low class skills then, and that means you get more level-up gains from them. Each level gives you more ability scores and Health / Mana. Pick Luck every single time and two other ability scores at x5, so you can get Luck up as high as possible.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 02:25:34 pm »

I have to agree that I like Morrowind's talking system better. Personally I don't watch movies and stuff and get sidetracked easily (ADD or some shit), and being able to go back a few lines and re-read something is important to me. Voice acting isn't necessary, and in fact it seems that without voice acting you can have the characters say much more stuff while putting less money into the game (for voice actors)

At least, that's what I think... the journal system was a total bitch though, even with the updated version (from what I remember)

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 02:37:06 pm »

Morrowind's a fun game, though I definitely prefer Oblivion for a number of reasons (#1 reason is the combat).

That mage that keeps killing you with a fireball is the one in the cave near Seyda Neen with the slaves, right? I find that if one has chameleon or invisibility (illusion skills), one can stealthily close the gap on him and open up with a powerful attack (or incapacitate him in some way, such as paralyze).

I don't think the rats are paralyzing you, as they don't have paralyzing powers (though beware of the kwarma larva at low level, as they DO!), I think its more likely that you're entering battle with them while low on fatigue, making it easy for them to knock you down. Try not to enter combat while low on fatigue (green bar), as once you lose fatigue enemies can easily knock you over and slowly beat/gnaw you to death at their leisure.

On a side note, I recently discovered that if one goes through the rat/mudcrab/cliff racers/slaughter fish infested swamp across from the Seyda Neen trade house, there's a tomb filled with undead monsters to explore next to the ocean, if one is so inclined.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 02:41:44 pm »

Morrowind isn't just cool to play, it's almost just as cool to watch someone else play.  This is, hands down, my all time favorite "Let's Play" on YouTube, and I've seen a lot.  After watching this guy play Morrowind, I never play video games the same way anymore (in a good way).

Linky

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 03:03:07 pm »

Okay, let's make it comfortable for you to look through.

>>> MORROWIND CODE PATCH <<<
Grab it to get rid of many unfixed bugs in the game. Also it's needed for some essential mods.

>>> Morrowind Plugin manager <<<
Pretty self-explanatory.

GRAPHICAL MODS

1) To make all NPCs to look nicer (instead of "pile of sticks" as somebody said): grab better bodies (warning: has NSFW and "underwear" variant).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't forget Better Clothes to make them fit your bodies.

2) Subtle sunglare: drastically improved sunglare, it adds a lot to the beauty of the Tamriel

3) Great replacement for most of Misc. objects. Great models.

4) Vurts Ascadian Isles mod: makes landscape beautiful
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

5) SWGs Skies - makes skies beautiful

GAMEPLAY MODS

1) Morrowind comes alive - it was already mentioned, great mod which adds tons of travellers, mercenaries and commoners, with unique biographies and many new dialogue options. Makes the world much more "alive".

2) Animal realism - a must-have mod, if you don't want to feel yourself in a "DnD dungeon". Animals now are not simply "monsters". They decide whether to attack you or not, most of "common" animals won't attack you and will decide to retreat, unless they are diseased or mating (kagouti) etc. The hunting and wandering becomes much more immersive.

3) Complete Morrowind Full : even if it has a dumb name, it's an awesome mod.  Adds cooking; sewing(tailoring), including both cloth and leather items; pPottery Making; woodcutting; carpentry; mining; smithing; making bonemold\chitin items; brewing poisons; making arrows, bolts, darts, throwing knives, and throwing stars; poisoning any arrows\bolts\darts\throwing weapons with one of nine types of poisons; filling your bottles with drinks from kegs and water from wells; making straw items and setting campfires and many other stuff. It's a compilation of all "complete morrowind" crafting mods.

4) Combat Enhanced! It adds30 different combat combos performed using simple combinations of the basic attacks(i.e. Slash, Slash, Thrust). There are 5 combos for each of the 6 weapon types(Long Blade, Short Blade, Blunt Weapon, Axe, Spear, and Unarmed). The combos range from stat drains to knockdowns to decapitations. Also there is a "rage" and "combat trance" concept implemented, so everyone who was bitching about "bad combat mechanics" should try it.

5) Accurate magicka regen: your mana restores based on your willpower. Useful if you want to be a pure mage.

6) Traveling merchants - adds roaming traders to roads between major cities. Great for disposing of the loot and general immersion.

5) Pack guar - great if you play a wandering traveller; for generic experience, loot carrying and roleplay.

Also, a few quite important mods:

BETTER TOWNS
1) Living cities of vvardenfell: puts many of the NPCs of Morrowind on daily schedules. NPCs will move about over the course of day, going to work, temple, the local tavern, or simply wandering around town. At night, more guards come out, while NPCs lock up their shops and go home and turn down the lights. Here you go if you wanted your "oblivion schedules with people locking doors".

2) Regionally Known Criminals - guards do not magically know that you're a criminal all around the world. You have "criminal status", separate for each region and city.

HARDCORE MODS
Primary needs: you have to eat, drink and sleep. If you missed it after playing Fallout: New Vegas, here it is, invented years ago.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:25:13 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 03:04:12 pm »

I mean, come on, look at this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wrMWKSTspk&feature=player_embedded

I won't allow anyone tell me "Morrowind sucks because of graphics" now :). The community "fixed" it. I love Morrowind for its unique lore. Oblivion was great as a generic RPG, but it was too far from DF/Morrowind lore for me, I didn't feel it.

P.S. Also, THAT MUSIC! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWD2GOWHmFs&feature=related I love it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:06:06 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 03:06:45 pm »

Re: Fast Travel

Learn these spells. Use them well.

-Mark
-Recall
-Almsivi Intervention
-Divine Intervention

Once you get these (or items imbued with these spells, even better) you can travel all over with two or three casts (if you know some "routes") and never even set foot on one of them floating varmints.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10