Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Badass Start  (Read 1918 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Badass Start
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:02:38 am »

Okay, so my last hero barely got started before a groundhog chucked him in a river and he got eaten by a friggin' lamprey.

But this time, while I did my initial first-hunt, before ever killing anything, I got ambushed by two goblins.

Who I amazingly managed to beat to a pulp over the next several game hours while only taking some mild bruises myself.

I scored around 1600 bucks of stuff, and upgraded from mostly cloth and leather to thus:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And in case yer curious?  Yes, I do keep track of what is and isn't armored on my adventurers using a chart like that.  IT HELPS!

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
Re: Badass Start
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 03:37:16 am »

I've had more badass starts, from a peasant, I got a luck hit on an ambush of 3 or 4 goblins who ambushed me right outside a fort, I ran them into the fort and got more items then I could ever wish for without a single bruise, since I threw rocks at them while the guards raped them.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:39:49 am »

I consider any less than sparing use of throwing to be game abuse.  =/  I'm a painful puritan.

My char was a peasant.  Only a couple points in maceman and a bronze flail.  Only metal equipment besides a copper shield.  Nonetheless, they were both more skilled-  a macegoblin and an axegoblin.  I expected to be insta-gibbed.

This is my best adventurer start of all time.  OF ALL.  TIME.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 04:48:57 am »

Same here on the throwing, I only use it to help 1v1 follower battles, because if they cant kill something 1v1 they aint worth keeping.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:22:29 pm »

I have worked out a theory for adventurers.

The more generally awesome they are, the less likely they will die an epic death.

So, if you have a peasant with no skills in anything with no clothes on, he will die by being beaten to death by 30 Titans after wrestling 100 of them to death. If you have a demigod that is a grandmaster in all skills and wears cotton candy armor, he will die by being killed by a fluffy wambler.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:14:46 pm »

My badass adventurer died.  He was kicked to death by a motherfucking horse.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:27:58 pm »

I have whats looking to be a badass adventurer. He's a demigod void master with a javelin. He went to a kobold cave and wrecked their shit.

here's a typical announcement:

You blast the kobold miner with your dimension zero in the head, fracturing the skull and bruising the brain
the kobold miner has been propelled away from the force of the blast
The kobold miner has slammed into an obstacle
., Kobold miner has suffocated

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 09:29:14 pm »

He'll be killed by a single blowdart to the spine.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 12:26:32 am »

He'll be killed by a single blowdart to the spine.
From some random, nameless, skill-less, slugman

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:33:52 am »

That's what I love about this game. Most RPGs (And D&D 4e is the worst, IMO) neglect all the "also-ran's" that exist out there in adventurer-land... DF doesn't. There are going to be Tholtigs, yes, But also Urist McDeadHero, too.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 05:52:19 pm »

Yeaaahhh... My void master kinda got all four of his legs chopped off...  by a keeper ambush...
He is retired in a fort, only additional armor being an obsidian crown.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 08:13:51 pm »

That's what I love about this game. Most RPGs (And D&D 4e is the worst, IMO) neglect all the "also-ran's" that exist out there in adventurer-land... DF doesn't. There are going to be Tholtigs, yes, But also Urist McDeadHero, too.
Even Pathfinder advises DMs to avoid killing PCs. It goes without saying that it's very difficult to impossible to permanently harm high level characters in 3e+ DnD (at least).

DF is more like Call of Cthulhu ... RuneQuest? Or maybe Warhammer FRP. Takes a big beard to make a game where a character can die in generation.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 04:31:11 am »

Even Pathfinder advises DMs to avoid killing PCs. It goes without saying that it's very difficult to impossible to permanently harm high level characters in 3e+ DnD (at least).

DF is more like Call of Cthulhu ... RuneQuest? Or maybe Warhammer FRP. Takes a big beard to make a game where a character can die in generation.

Traveler also did that. It was fairly likely for military characters to die during gen.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 01:57:11 pm »

Traveler also did that. It was fairly likely for military characters to die during gen.

I guess with the caravan arc we'll have commodity trading like in Traveler, too.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 03:25:39 pm »

I just hope we get slaves.  I seem to never have enough haulers, even at 200 dwarves, to handle the Goblin Xmas and masonry megaprojects.
Pages: [1] 2