Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Harmless Weapon  (Read 2054 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Harmless Weapon
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:26:23 am »

I'm ready to include some !!Justice!! and want to know what a good, harmless weapon is that can be produced reliably.  Steel Warhammer seems to be the best option, not counting strange moods.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Harmless Weapon
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:33:56 am »

steel warhammer is deadly!
use cotton candy harmmer!
or feather wood training harmmer.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:36:56 am »

A) It's the lightest metal available
B) I have no adamantine on hand
C) There's no such thing as training hammer!

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:41:20 am »

Training spear?

Yeah, try that.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 01:01:36 am »

A featherwood training weapon, preferably an axe, is the least harmful weapon.
As shown by the effects of training spears in danger rooms, they can still be lethal in some situations.

FEATHERWOOD IS HALF AS DENSE (HEAVY) AS THE OTHER STUFF
It also isn't as strong, so it overall should do less damage.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 01:50:49 am »

woops, my bad. i was referring to genesis mod.
so, still, feather wood weapon, like crossbow, and somehow forbid him to use ammo, any ammo.
havent tried, so maybe another mistake i'd be making?

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:30:58 am »

Dwarves can be killed by cave spider silk socks, so there's really no guarantee that wooden training axes will be safe.  Maybe if you combine it with putting the to-be-punished dwarves in a squad and have them wear armor, they'll be ok.

Technically if you wanted !!Justice!!, then at least one of the dwarves, or the weapon, has to be on fire.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 05:46:42 am »

woops, my bad. i was referring to genesis mod.
so, still, feather wood weapon, like crossbow, and somehow forbid him to use ammo, any ammo.
havent tried, so maybe another mistake i'd be making?

This essentially. You need a weapon that is light and blunt. Any training weapon works, especially a featherwood one, or any blunt cyanide weapon.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 11:54:24 am »

The way that combat currently works I've been wondering: given a very limited amount of cotton candy is the most worthwhile use after making battleaxes/swords/spears making a load of helmets for your entire fortress?

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 12:04:55 pm »

The way that combat currently works I've been wondering: given a very limited amount of cotton candy is the most worthwhile use after making battleaxes/swords/spears making a load of helmets for your entire fortress?

Nah, after the mallet the best use of time is making sure your dwarfs have headwear using uniforms. Anything should do, but since they can wear up to six hoods each, why not go to town?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 12:55:45 pm »

My fortress gaurd is always armed with corssbows. these tend to give quite survivable beatings to the hapless dwarf blamed for the lack of slade crafts.

Or.... chains to make a jail?
This is a blank sig.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 01:09:11 pm »

I never got why people have so much problems with hammering. My fortress is into year 45 now and there were never any hammerings judged. I just built ten restraints early in the game (they cost essentially nothing, just make a chain out of something like lead; I used gold because it is abundant here), so no hammering except for heavy cases of tantruming (which didn't happen).

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 01:43:24 pm »

mod in training hammer.
i wonder why there are not training blunt weapons in vanilla.
it seems perfectly reasonable to have some, for bugged training at least.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 05:01:46 pm »

I never got why people have so much problems with hammering. My fortress is into year 45 now and there were never any hammerings judged. I just built ten restraints early in the game (they cost essentially nothing, just make a chain out of something like lead; I used gold because it is abundant here), so no hammering except for heavy cases of tantruming (which didn't happen).

It isn't the hammerstrike sentencing, it's the beating sentencing. Hammerings are intended to be harmful, whereas beatings are supposed to be more desirable than jail time. The current bug is that fortress guard can kill dwarves with most weapons or their fists. It is very hard to kill a dwarf with a weapon that has the density of styrofoam or balsa wood.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 05:28:43 pm »

I'm just waiting for someone to mod in those plastic toy hammers kids like that depress and make strange noises.

Soon enough we'll have hammerers running around going: "You! Stop! *Squeak squeak squeak* Now don't let me catch you doing that again!"
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.
Pages: [1] 2