Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World of [SPOILERY THINGS]?  (Read 2268 times)

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
World of [SPOILERY THINGS]?
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:31:36 pm »

It pains me to spoilertag something I'm pretty sure everyone knows about, but it's marginally less annoying than the sixty people who will come at me going "SPOILER NO SPOILING". But that's not the point of this thread.

My idea is this: make a series of fortresses - like, dozens of them - all with the sole purpose of opening Hell and letting its occupants ravage the place. I do this like five times per biome or something. Then, once the world's basically a sieve with demon pouringing out of it, I go into adventure and have some serious fun.

I guess what I'm asking is, can this work? If I let enough hellions loose will they wander around and mess with hamlets and the like? Will I encounter centipedes made of congealed blood in the forest? Or will they just sorta lurk around wherever I let them out?
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Isa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of [SPOILERY THINGS]?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:45:22 pm »

If this would happen it would be totally awesome, imagine demons slaughtering hundreds of people.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 06:05:04 pm »

I've been wondering the same thing: when you unleash demons what do they do after they've wrecked your fortress?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:33:59 pm »

From my limited experience it seems like the demons are confined to the site your embark becomes after abandoning. I would find all demons that were alive when my fort crumbled still inside the fortress.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:49:30 pm »

It pains me to spoilertag something I'm pretty sure everyone knows about, but it's marginally less annoying than the sixty people who will come at me going "SPOILER NO SPOILING".

Sigged for hilarious and true.

From my limited experience it seems like the demons are confined to the site your embark becomes after abandoning. I would find all demons that were alive when my fort crumbled still inside the fortress.

Yeah, that would be odd though. I mean, if you DID go back to where the demons came from in the fortress... none other than the ones that were already spawned would be created? Does that mean demons don't spawn in adventure mode?

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:00:30 pm »

^Demons spawn in adventure mode, but only when your adventure is the one who actually opens up hell (by removing the masterwork adamantine weapon in the center).

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 08:22:46 pm »

Aww, I was afraid of that. Knigel gives me a good alternative though:

^Demons spawn in adventure mode, but only when your adventure is the one who actually opens up hell (by removing the masterwork adamantine weapon in the center).
It's not as fun as encountering a scaled gorilla in the wild, but I guess yanking out adamantine and taking on whatever shows up will have to be a suitable replacement. Is there a reliable way to find dem castles pre-embark in fortress mode, or do I just have to play roulette for a while?

Also also, would demons released in adventure mode be more inclined to leave home? I'm doubting it would be any different but it's my last shot.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 09:49:50 pm »

Is there a reliable way to find dem castles pre-embark in fortress mode, or do I just have to play roulette for a while?

According to the wiki, there's one for each region tile (meaning a 16x16 embark guarantees you'll be under one) which you can find by looking in your stock screen and zooming in on the afore`mentioned weapon. Can you do that pre-embark?

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:16:22 pm »

Aww. The way the topic was phrased I was expecting Kobolsds...

Anyhow,do monsters fight each other? I want to see a pitchblende badger that spews gas fight a damn Bogeyman.
Everybody!

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 10:23:57 pm »

Aww. The way the topic was phrased I was expecting Kobolsds...

Anyhow,do monsters fight each other? I want to see a pitchblende badger that spews gas fight a damn Bogeyman.

Nobody but a player character is attacked by bogeymen, so a demon would only be if you used a bug or utility to play as one.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 10:54:20 pm »

Ok, what if bogeys attacked you whilst you were being tracked by a demon?

I hate those things. Let them get attacked by a stick insect made of gas...
Everybody!

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 10:56:34 pm »

I hate those things. Let them get attacked by a stick insect made of gas...

Well that might actually get them to fight each other: there have been plenty of reports of people ditching bogeymen by getting them to fight wild animals instead.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 06:06:33 am »

Well, it would be pretty simple to find out: Go to a demon-ravaged fortress alone, get a demon to chase you, run around until night falls.

(But even better would of course be to embark next to a human town and lead a hundred demons into it.)
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 01:08:01 pm »

Is there a reliable way to find dem castles pre-embark in fortress mode, or do I just have to play roulette for a while?

According to the wiki, there's one for each region tile (meaning a 16x16 embark guarantees you'll be under one) which you can find by looking in your stock screen and zooming in on the afore`mentioned weapon. Can you do that pre-embark?
Oh, if it's just in that area it shouldn't be a problem. I knew about the stock screen thing though.

This should happen. I can't tell you how many times I've had a cougar jump out in the night only to get punched to yogurt. I almost think Bogeymen take a higher priority with the fauna than you, in fact, since they tend to converge on any exposed woodland critters.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 11:12:10 pm »

^The "fuck nature" attitude the bogeymen take is more because everything just pathfinds to the closest target, and since the cougar and bogeymen will both be initially chasing you they'll get closer to each other if you run and start fighting.