Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

ACTUAL PLAYERS ONLY. What days can you game? (Choose all that you can make)

8pm GMT Fridays
- 7 (46.7%)
8pm GMT Saturdays
- 3 (20%)
4pm GMT Sundays
- 5 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: February 19, 2011, 04:59:05 am

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34

Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] Red Hand of Doom. Drop-kicking a dragon in a 100-foot chasm.  (Read 44636 times)

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
Re: [D&D 3.5] Interest Check for Red Hand of Doom Maptools game.
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2011, 08:03:12 pm »

Also, there is no Ring of Dexterity, +1 or otherwise. It only comes in Gloves, and not in +odd numbers.

Also, I notice you haven't given the sources for these things.

Look at the bottom of his sheet under the additional Information section. I think he mixed up item creation feats for a way to create magical items. At least I don't think it works like that...

Ps... Do you allow flaws and traits?
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2011, 08:06:57 pm »

First, as for the ring and cloak, there were rules in the system reference document for making magic items. I thought you could just customize them like one could do with weapons, armors, and their enhancements.  ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm ). If this isn't the case, I'll remove them and put in something else.

As for the Move silently skill, that was an oversight. I'll fix it. And I thought I did put in the amount of gold and silver I have. I wouldn't mind collaborating on our backgrounds some.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2011, 08:14:27 pm »

I just noticed something, if i'm looking at your ability scores right they started out like this:

With the point buy system you have exceeded what is allowed. In points that is (from top to bottom) 16 + 6 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 38

http://nc-gamers.com/pointbuy.aspx

That site should help you out a bit with pointbuy, it tells you the values of each score as well as giving multiple examples that you can choose to take.
And sorry but one last thing, I'm not seeing the + 1 to your attribute that you gain from leveling to 4... unless you did something that I'm not following.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2011, 08:24:51 pm »

Actually, the starting stats were

The desert elf gets +2 dexterity (16 to18) and -2 strength (10 to 8)
There was a plus one from the attribute gain at level 4.
The other plus one was from that custom ring mistake. I've removed it.

I'm changing out those items for something else at the moment.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »

Ah ok that makes more sense then. Also I'm trying to figure out what you want your character to be able to do? You seem to have skills all across the board, some of them useful others not so much because of negatives here and there.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2011, 08:32:24 pm »

Eh, like I said, I'm new to this. I'm not sure which skills come up more often than others, so I was trying for a jack of all trades approach. Maybe once I know what everyone else is specializing in, I'd focus my skills more. Combat wise, is a hybrid between range and melee feasible?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2011, 08:34:31 pm »

First, as for the ring and cloak, there were rules in the system reference document for making magic items. I thought you could just customize them like one could do with weapons, armors, and their enhancements.  ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm ). If this isn't the case, I'll remove them and put in something else.

As for the Move silently skill, that was an oversight. I'll fix it. And I thought I did put in the amount of gold and silver I have. I wouldn't mind collaborating on our backgrounds some.

There's a thing called Body Slot affinity. Certain bonuses go in certain slots. Dexterity is Gloves 90% of the time, though there may be another slot that shares affinity. Ring is not that slot. So it'd cost more. Creating a +1 item of Dexterity is, while allowed by those guidelines, generally not done, as it encourages min-maxing.

As for the cloak, what sort of bonus is it? There are a dozen different sorts and they all have different costs.

And, well, those guidelines are really for DMs to work out the value of custom loot, though players with the ability to craft their own items can use them as guidelines for custom stuff that they then present to their DM.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2011, 08:38:25 pm »

I see. Well, I won't bother with making items then. I just found a couple premade ones I liked from that list.http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2011, 08:43:22 pm »

Well your strength skills are kind of dragging you since you have a -1 bonus on all of them but you put points into it. Also you put points into Survival which is a cross-class skill for you. Basically you are trying to optimize what you want to do with your character and what your attributes give bonuses to. I'm not going to tell you which skills to take ranks in and such but ask questions if you want to know. The Srd also has some useful information for many of the skills.

Akigagak are traits and flaws allowed?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2011, 08:44:36 pm »

Well your strength skills are kind of dragging you since you have a -1 bonus on all of them but you put points into it. Also you put points into Survival which is a cross-class skill for you. Basically you are trying to optimize what you want to do with your character and what your attributes give bonuses to. I'm not going to tell you which skills to take ranks in and such but ask questions if you want to know. The Srd also has some useful information for many of the skills.

Akigagak are traits and flaws allowed?

1 trait, no flaws.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2011, 08:46:01 pm »

Gotcha.

and Fortis you need a third Feat, You gained one at first level, one at third, and another at fifth.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »

Um, I take it that cross class skills are penalized. What is the penalty? And which feat do you think I should take.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2011, 08:57:17 pm »

A cross class skill takes up twice the normal amount of skill points that a regular skill that you have does. So basically the four ranks you have is costing you 8.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2011, 09:01:47 pm »

Gotcha.

and Fortis you need a third Feat, You gained one at first level, one at third, and another at fifth.

Unless you get a bonus feat, your next feat after level 3 isn't until 6.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2011, 09:04:55 pm »

Gotcha.

Unless you get a bonus feat, your next feat after level 3 isn't until 6.

Hmmm dang you are right, means I'll have to drop a feat but that isn't much of a problem.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34