Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Killing Traders  (Read 1431 times)

GrayFoxUA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killing Traders
« on: February 06, 2011, 10:19:48 am »

I have recently started a new fortress and a Dwarven caravan has come to fortress. They have a lot of useful items I need but I hadn't had time to create crafts. So I decided the most Dwarvish thing to do is to create a wall and a door around the trade depot and forbid passage through the door. After a month the traders died and I let the guards out to continue on their journey. I then buried the traders and took ALL their items. Technically I didn't kill them I just let them die, so now I'm wondering. Will this fun act have any serious repercussions like sieges or angry laisons, or even lack of migrants?

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killing Traders
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:25:23 am »

You won't get sieges, but it might affect the goods they bring based on profit/loss.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:26:43 am »

There's no real difference between you killing them or they dying in whatever other way (like ambushes). But your dwarfen civ will (unlike humans and elves) not go to war with you or take any other action . I'm not sure about the migrants, death counts definitely influence them, but how much I don't know.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:33:03 am »

the above is all true.
also, you will probably get ghosts. try and make slabs for them, or bury them (but that won't work). it may not work though, and you'll have ghosts forever in your fort.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 10:38:25 am »

Technically I didn't kill them I just let them die, so now I'm wondering.

I'm sure this kinda defense would work splendidly in court. If walling someone in isn't killing them, then giving them lead poisoning or something isn't either.

Anyway, I never kill (or "let die") my traders, nor do I confiscate their shit, for realism's sake. It doesn't make sense that there wouldn't be repercussions, at least in cases as blatant as the one the original poster describes. Killing all of them, so there would be no witnesses, would perhaps give you plausible deniability.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:40:19 am by assimilateur »

Tsaroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:11:25 am »

It might hurt your migrant waves.

I just had a fort where I did that... although I had just lost damn near all my dwarves to a crocodile seeing as Urist McMason decided to take his sweet ass time building the last bit of wall around my staircase that went through a layer of cavern.

So... either the killing of traders prevented migrants, or the fact that my fortress doesn't look like the safest place to immigrate to.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 03:41:41 pm »

You won't go to war, but you're better of waiting.  There will be another caravan next year, and another shipment of precious metals.