Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stacks of pumps - pumpstack?  (Read 2294 times)

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stacks of pumps - pumpstack?
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:14:27 am »

Okay. I found magma/lava, whatever its called and I want to use it for my forge's.

Thats why I need to pump it upwards. You see, if I am correct it is directly below the dark fortress thingie, whatever it is, at -66 Z.
It will be HELL getting a pump stack that high up and I dont even know how to make one.
So thats why I have a few questions, and the wiki didn't make them more clear;

1; how do I make sure my mechanic uses magma-safe materials to make the mechanical stuff?
2; do I use iron? I have a buttload of that, and I suppose its magmasafe as well?
3; How do I dig out the place?
4; How the hell do I set it up.
5; How to power the machines?

And a non-related question; in a recent fight one of my soldiers got his foot cut open.

He is now just laying there refusing to do anything. What do?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Stacks of pumps - pumpstack?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:22:14 am »

Okay. I found magma/lava, whatever its called and I want to use it for my forge's.

Thats why I need to pump it upwards. You see, if I am correct it is directly below the dark fortress thingie, whatever it is, at -66 Z.
It will be HELL getting a pump stack that high up and I dont even know how to make one.
So thats why I have a few questions, and the wiki didn't make them more clear;

1; how do I make sure my mechanic uses magma-safe materials to make the mechanical stuff?
Make a stockpile with magma-safe stuff allowed right next to the workshops.
2; do I use iron? I have a buttload of that, and I suppose its magmasafe as well?
I don't remember, probably. You can make metal mechanisms at the forge with "Other objects" or "furniture", forgot which.
3; How do I dig out the place?
There is a thread floating around, but look at the water pump stack article on the wiki. Then expand the edges to include more space (a 3x2/3x3) to get higher FPS
4; How the hell do I set it up.
Just build pumps there. Also Make an access staircase to build it, but wall it off when done.
5; How to power the machines?
Try a dwarven water reactor, look at the wiki (magmawiki.com)
And a non-related question; in a recent fight one of my soldiers got his foot cut open.

He is now just laying there refusing to do anything. What do?
He's probably an invalid for life (because crutches are broken) and won't be able to do anything. If you have a hospital he will get dragged to it and possibly mended. Dwarves will have to bring him water. He's probably a gonner.
In bold above.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 06:31:23 am »

I think that iron is magma-safe, it says so on the wiki.

Also its a bit easier than having to make lots of different things and then accidentally selecting the wrong one. I'll have a look.

Momizer

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I will learn. (Someday)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:34:20 am »

Bauxite (I think) is the only rock that can survive magma, use those for the pumps,
and for the power, well. I guess rivers.  Every 9 floors use a river, connect those rivers to water wheels,
connect each of the water wheels to 9 of the pumps.

I believe that should work.   ;D
Wolf cancels bleed, interrupted by carp.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 06:46:43 am »

1. Burrows, or lock him in a room with a forbidden door, magma-safe stuff inside, and some food, too.
2. If you want to. I'd personally recommend glASS - it's magma-safe, you can make corkscrews and pipe sections out of it, and you can have infinite amounts of it if you have magma. Still... iron stuff is fine too. Corkscrews are trap components, pipes are probably furniture, so are mechanisms... probably.
3 and 4. Here
5. Lots of waterwheels, recommendedly water reactors as that guy said, or windmills if you want them, but they're weaker.
Bauxite (I think) is the only rock that can survive magma, use those for the pumps,

No, that was ages ago. Now there are many. Olivine is magma-safe, for one... and of this you probably have plenty of, there are piles of the stuff near platinum.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:41:03 am »

No, that was ages ago. Now there are many. Olivine is magma-safe, for one... and of this you probably have plenty of, there are piles of the stuff near platinum.
Ages?  I still bring it along for old times sake.  Also its nice and red.  Also I think even Gabbro is magma safe... It's not quite as fun as before.  Your pretty likely to use magma safe materials even if you weren't looking for 'em.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Magma-safe

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 08:35:29 am »

Okay. Maybe I get this wrong but I heard you can also use a piston?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 09:14:33 am »

Yeah you can collapse a big pillar into a reservoir you need to dig out and fill beforehand (as the floor of the magma sea eats cave ins). This works because fluid is teleported on top of anything that caves in on it.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 09:16:58 am »

Okay. Maybe I get this wrong but I heard you can also use a piston?
Yeah, see this thread. It may not be the easier way to do it, but I do agree that it's dwarfier than a boring old pump stack.  Not that both don't have plenty of opportunities for !!fun!! if you screw up in just the right way... ;D
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 10:29:33 am »

This is the thread on the 3x3 magma pumps to conserve FPS it has illustrations, to boot.

Keep in mind that some people find it easier to just not pump magma very far, and simply build a "deep colony" for their magma forges.  It's perfectly safe from everything but fire snakes (vermin that can spawn in magma) to build in the deeps, so long as you wall off your entire area, including "ceilings" to keep out fliers.

Also, if all you want is magma forges, keep in mind it doesn't actually take that much magma.  A single trough of magma running about 15 tiles is probably enough.  Maybe 21 if you are running a glass industry.  Be sure to cover all entrances to keep the dwarves out and fire snakes in the magma.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 12:03:30 pm »

The last two posts. I was about to post those links myself. Either way you go, you'll be glad you did it. A classical pump stack can wreak surprisingly much havoc on your FPS.

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 01:07:52 pm »

Thing is that I keep getting FB's one after another. My military can kill them very easily but are usually not in time at the right place. So building a magmaforge down there is a nono.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 01:10:25 pm »

Walling it in while military stands nearbyż

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 01:12:11 pm »

I suppose I could make some beds down there as well.

Hateweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 03:39:16 pm »

I suppose I could make some beds down there as well.

All they really need to keep them speedy - is drink. If there is water near the bottom, setup a well.  If not - just make a little room, add a 2x2 food store restricted to just drinks - then set it up to pull from your main food/drink storepile.
Pages: [1] 2