Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Idea for mega-construction  (Read 2374 times)

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for mega-construction
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 11:32:02 am »

The main problem with these is the tensile strength. Rings are all good here on earth where gravity helps bind it together but even if you could build something that big (assuming you had an infinite supply of useful matter to hand) the moment you spin it for gravity it's going to do a good job of tearing itself apart.

As Da Vinci, U. said, it's no secret that such constructions would require some sort of super-material, and a great deal of it.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 12:02:07 pm »

Not a proper ringworld, that is, a ring 1 AU distance from the sun making a solid band around the star.  Even paper thin, it would be too enormous to construct with conventional matter.  A lot of people over-estimate the abundance of mass, or rather they under-estimate the sheer size of space.  To make a small show of size, if you took all the asteroids in the asteroid belt, and pushed them together, their combined size would be smaller than the moon.

Somewhere around 5% of the Moon, disappointing how much Sci Fi tends to mislead. Still, there's always Kuiper Belt and the Oort Cloud to make up anywhere between 5 and 40 Earth masses. Oh wait, they're up to a lightyear away. Nevermind. Oh, and mostly water and gases, too.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 12:16:39 pm »

Oh, and mostly water and gases, too.
Any Dwarf Fortress player should have no problem in imagining space stations built out of normal or methane ice.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 05:00:24 pm »

My station is built out of cast obsidian.  Let me tell you, keeping the water from boiling in space was the EASY part!

Masterspartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 12:49:33 am »

As Da Vinci, U. said, it's no secret that such constructions would require some sort of super-material, and a great deal of it.

Good Sir, I believe the dwarf term for it is "Cotton Candy"
Somehow this thread went from making dwarves rip their bones straight from their bodies to the calming blood mist generated by dozens of babies hitting the ground at once.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 06:29:24 am »

Good Sir, I believe the dwarf term for it is "Cotton Candy"
Let's dig deeper!
Pages: 1 [2]