Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Gem-Window Animations: A use for Gems at last?  (Read 14146 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Gem-Window Animations: A use for Gems at last?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 08:52:14 am »

I seem to recall from previous experiments that the order in which gem windows flash is based on the order in which the cut gems were created - if you cut a ruby, then an emerald, then a sapphire, then make them into a window, it will blink in one order, but if you cut them in the opposite order, then it'll blink in the opposite order.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 09:17:36 am »

That sounds compatible with my thesis.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 11:34:36 am »

I seem to recall from previous experiments that the order in which gem windows flash is based on the order in which the cut gems were created - if you cut a ruby, then an emerald, then a sapphire, then make them into a window, it will blink in one order, but if you cut them in the opposite order, then it'll blink in the opposite order.

Searching forums...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57265.msg1252432#msg1252432

"The gems are gathered based on which ones existed first, which then determined the order they flash in. By forbidding the old ones and cutting the new ones, I got then to all flash together"

"Dwarves will not begin construction on a gem window unless they can path to all the materials they need" [so you can't unforbid the gems in order]

"Now, you can (obviously, given the above) to some degree control the gem existence order- If you cut the gems in the order you want them, then they will have begun their new existence in the right order. But if you are buying cut gems, then the only thing you know is that the gems you cut after the traders arrive will be newer than the traders' gems, which will in turn be newer than gems that were cut before they arrived."

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 11:51:58 am »

So...

Storing all gems as uncut, then preparing freshly cut-in-order batches of gems for windows that are meant to blink at the same time, right?

Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 12:49:21 pm »

Searching forums...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57265.msg1252432#msg1252432

"The gems are gathered based on which ones existed first, which then determined the order they flash in. By forbidding the old ones and cutting the new ones, I got then to all flash together"

"Dwarves will not begin construction on a gem window unless they can path to all the materials they need" [so you can't unforbid the gems in order]

"Now, you can (obviously, given the above) to some degree control the gem existence order- If you cut the gems in the order you want them, then they will have begun their new existence in the right order. But if you are buying cut gems, then the only thing you know is that the gems you cut after the traders arrive will be newer than the traders' gems, which will in turn be newer than gems that were cut before they arrived."

Nice find! Thank you.  Also thanks a bunch to ZetaX for his invaluable contribution of invalidating my incorrect hypothesis about gem-blinking.

This method of controlling the gem-blinking seems difficult to pull-off, since it will require near total pre-planning of your project.
So...

Storing all gems as uncut, then preparing freshly cut-in-order batches of gems for windows that are meant to blink at the same time, right?
That would be my assumption.  I guess you'd do 3 windows of the same type at a time, by cutting 9 gems (3 of each color) every time you want to make a window.  Alternately, you could actually do larger batches if you made sure that the gems were cut in the right order.

I think the best way would be to plan-out your design ahead of time and determine the different "groups" of gem windows you would need for different parts of the image (groups of windows that will all blink identically), then choose one to start with (group 1), cut all the #1 gems for them, then cut all the #2 gems for it, and then all the #3 gems, and then build all of that set of identical windows.  Now you can start Group 2!!!

The "travelling dot" effect requires 3 different gem-groups.  The plan I dreamt up of "a hammer striking an anvil with sparks coming off" will probably require 8 groups. (Background, the anvil, the hammer in position1, hammer in position2, hammer in position3, overlap between position1 and 2, overlap between position2 and 3, and then finally the sparks.)

edit: I have modified the first post to now contain largely correct information.  It looks like an ugly mess now though. :(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:24:46 pm by Hans Lemurson »
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 05:06:04 pm »

I think, really, the best way to accomplish this is to bite the bullet and do multiple caravan trades.  Request X gem one year, so you get 5-6 of that gem, then the next gem the next year, and the third gem the year after.  That way after 3 years (assuming your caravan doesn't get killed and you're still able to request) you 100% for sure have a group of 5 correct gem window.  Clearly this will take forever, but on a 2x2 no-river embark you can uncap FPS and just focus on this project.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 06:30:04 pm »

I am inclined to disagree.  Though the date that you acquire gems is difficult to control, the date that you CUT them is entirely in your hands.

Identify all the regions of your animation which will use the SAME color-cycle, and cut the gems for them in a big batch in the proper order.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 08:15:06 pm »

Although you cannot buy uncut gems (right?) and must therefore rely on natural terrain to achieve this.  Either way, going one window at a time, and knowing the full completed image ahead of time is needed.  I suggest turning off auto-save, collecting a LOT of uncut gems, and then attempt to assemble it with speed:0 and scumsave as needed.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 08:36:03 pm »

Is there any way to mod what the caravan brings so you can request uncut gems? That would eliminate the "don't know when the gem came from" problem and you can just cut them yourself.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 03:12:57 am »

Maybe you could just request lots of glass.  Use glass as your "background color" since it's plentiful and usually arrives rough.  Request lots of pearlash too to make your own clear-glass.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 03:34:14 am »

Custom reactions anyone?  Perhaps a simple reaction for "roughen gem" where you take a cut gem, and produce a rough gem?
Pages: 1 2 [3]