Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gem-Window Animations: A use for Gems at last?  (Read 14153 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gem-Window Animations: A use for Gems at last?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 03:58:27 pm »

It seems like not the order on the list, but the order in which they were added counts. Most often, this is by distance and thus by the list, but I just got a case where it's different.
The order is NOT the order they appear in the gem-selection list.  That one is ordered by distance.  The order that you select the gems in ALSO does not matter.

The order that the colors cycle in is based on the order that gems appear in in the Gem Workshop's interface, only backwards.  "Cut Green Glass Gems" appear at the very bottom of the Gem Workshop's list of gems, and so will ALWAYS be the first color displayed.  The order that the colors are displayed is the same as the order the gems appear in the con(T)ents query menu.  I will edit my earlier posts to display this correct information.

So totally not worth my framerate, but God speed, you crazy vikings.
It shouldn't really have much of any effect on frame-rate, since this is all about display of information rather than actually calculating anything, and the color only changes every 30 frames or so.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 04:01:23 pm »

The display order could be the order the gems are listed in the "inorganic_stone_gem.txt" raw file.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 04:11:16 pm »

The display order could be the order the gems are listed in the "inorganic_stone_gem.txt" raw file.
I suspected that it would be something like that.  I wonder why the color-cycling order is the reverse of the Gem Workshop's list.  I guessed they'd be taking their list from the same source, but why backwards?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 04:20:10 pm »

Congratulations, you have just spawned a new generation of megaprojects.

Building destroyers can destroy your windows, so you need to protect them.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 04:30:53 pm »

Gems will suddenly become rare and valuable again, since a 10x10 animation will require 300 very specific gems in order to get the phase-offsets right for the different animation frames.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 04:53:41 pm »

It seems like not the order on the list, but the order in which they were added counts. Most often, this is by distance and thus by the list, but I just got a case where it's different.
The order is NOT the order they appear in the gem-selection list.  That one is ordered by distance.  The order that you select the gems in ALSO does not matter.

The order that the colors cycle in is based on the order that gems appear in in the Gem Workshop's interface, only backwards.  "Cut Green Glass Gems" appear at the very bottom of the Gem Workshop's list of gems, and so will ALWAYS be the first color displayed.  The order that the colors are displayed is the same as the order the gems appear in the con(T)ents query menu.  I will edit my earlier posts to display this correct information.

I made two identical windows (Rubies-Emerald-Blue Diamond) and they did NOT blink the same way (not even just out of phase). One was Green-Red-Blue and the other was Green-Blue-Red.
And this was the order the worker brought them there.

And I just now did some further experiments, with the same result.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:56:49 pm by ZetaX »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 05:06:58 pm »

What version are you all using during these tests?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 05:07:35 pm »

Or you could make it 100x100 / 30,000 gems.  Just cheat like a fiend when you do it, that's all.

If it's by raw order, you can simply plan out what colors you will need, rewrite the raws to have the gem colors you need in the order you need them, and make some cheat reactions to make the gems you are going to use from nothing.  If you're building a whole fortress around doing a stupid trick, there's little reason not to cheat.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 05:07:54 pm »

31.18 (Windows)

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 08:27:26 pm »

I remember that thread because I brought up the idea  8)

I have been preoccupied with tigermen and digging huge pits so I haven't had a chance to play around with this. I am glad this thread exists.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 08:39:35 pm »

also remember that other dwarven civs have a great abundance of gems at their disposal
be sure to request them every time they come.  Selecting a few at the highest importance can ensure that you get several pages of gems in the next caravan.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 11:54:18 pm »

I made two identical windows (Rubies-Emerald-Blue Diamond) and they did NOT blink the same way (not even just out of phase). One was Green-Red-Blue and the other was Green-Blue-Red.
And this was the order the worker brought them there.

And I just now did some further experiments, with the same result.
Interesting.  I will need to do some more thorough testing on my end.  I think something slightly more complicated might be going on here.

When I used 2 gems of the same kind(2 gold and 1 cherry opal), then they got grouped together regardless of the order that I chose them in.  Both windows were blinking in phase with each other.  I will do more tests on this and in the meantime will update my first post with your findings.

edit:
I just made 3 windows out out of Fire Opals, Citrines, and Green Glass, making sure that I designated the gems in a different order.  The result:  All are blinking Green-Red-Yellow in the same phase.  However, I did note that the order the gems were installed in the windows was the same for each one.

Conclusion: The color-order for gem windows is most likely based on the order of installation of the gems.  However, I have very little idea of how to control this, and I don't know what determines which gem is grabbed first.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:17:45 am by Hans Lemurson »
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 05:55:01 am »

You could put every gem colour in a separate stockpile, locked off with a forbidden door, then unlocked in order...

You'd have to build all the same-order windows at once to minimize time, and don't start building any other-order windows before those are finished.

Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 06:00:41 am »

Conclusion: The color-order for gem windows is most likely based on the order of installation of the gems.  However, I have very little idea of how to control this, and I don't know what determines which gem is grabbed first.

If you forbid two of the gems used after designating but before building, will the construction be suspended or cancelled?  How about locking doors?  Burrows for the furniture builder dwarves?
It's strange that green glass is always chosen first, and yet the installation order can vary even for the same gems chosen in the same order.  Maybe it's something even more subtle, like how occasionally mason dwarves will choose to build walls from the opposite side than their colleagues?  Are the windows all built by the same dwarf?
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 08:04:00 am »

The order of the gems seems to be chosen at building time, independent from the window position or selection order and probably only dependent on the gems itself [not the gem type, but really the single chosen gem] - taking the exact same gems [I expanded the list with x] always gave the same cycle, but choosing different gems of the same types does not always do this.
One possible interpretation: All items have some number (the index in some big array of all items probably) and they are chosen by that. Newest items normally get the highest index (and probably always the smallest unused index). Maybe this is the order in which the game adds them (on either ascending or descending order). Checking this is hard, but not impossible (new gems from mining or caravans should get highest indices), and building according to this order is hard, but not impossible, too. I recommend buying (mining) gems for three years, storing them at different places (one for each year), and then choosing the gems such that one is from each year; to fill "holes" created in the list, mass production (more every year!) is usefull, and probably buying some more cheap items with the gems helps, too (as will only selling a very small number of goods, ideally only one steel/cotton candy serrated disc).

Forbidding parts doesn't work, they do not only suspend it, but cancel it (this holds for all buildings I think, but I specifically checked this for gem windows). Same for locking some parts away: the order seems to be chosen at building time, and they will only add them in that order, or suspend it as long as this is not possible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3