Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven bathtub is very dwarfy!  (Read 4764 times)

MadBoat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven bathtub is very dwarfy!
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:01:12 am »

I just finished my combination dwarven bathtub/mist generator. I think it worked in the sense that all the gunk that was on my dwarves is now on the bottom of the bathtub. I read somewhere in the wiki that I could keep the thing clean if I could drain the water in it off the map. This has proven to be a dirty stinking lie, as my bathtub is still coated in unbelievable levels of grime despite 3 full dousing/draining runs.

Also, the repeated dousing and draining has reminded me of the fact that water can force dwarves through gratings and such. On one such dousing my flow regulator failed, and my bathtub started flooding the upper level before I caught it. I opened the drain, and the flow forced a legendary miner and 2 haulers through the safety grate I installed and into the drain plumbing, where they drowned.

so. very dwarfy. what can I do to make it a little less dwarfy, I.E. cleaner and less murderous?

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven bathtub is very dwarfy!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:25:56 am »

I noticed that my power plant, which has 4 pumps operating in a circle, never has grime in it despite the teleporting contaminates bug. So I think water flow will do it.

You might add some pumps to churn the water.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 03:37:45 am »

i suppose stain on the wall somehow cannot be clean unless with dfclean.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:01:51 am »

You CAN clean it, IF there's a stain directly beside it... sometimes!  Dwarves seem to clean a 3x3 area, usually, so if there's a stain beside the wall, they sometimes clean it and the wall, but not always.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 05:15:22 am »

i just let stains accumulate till they become a major FPS encumbrance. then dfclean.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 06:12:30 am »

is it possible to atomsmash the floor of the pool to remove all stains from it, for those of us who don't resort have access to dirty cheats like dfhack?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 06:25:01 am »

is it possible to atomsmash the floor of the pool to remove all stains from it, for those of us who don't resort have access to dirty cheats like dfhack?
yes. it works.

if anyone's interested I can probably post schematics for something that works for me.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 08:09:05 am »

Blood for the blood god, gravy for the gravy tub.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 08:46:07 am »

My question is related so I figured I don't need to start a new thread for it: are waterfalls and mist generators still as lag-inducing as they (supposedly) used to be? I ask this this, because I've been thinking of making a multi-level shower that would drain directly into an underground sea, thus sidestepping the problem the original poster describes.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 10:23:51 am »

My question is related so I figured I don't need to start a new thread for it: are waterfalls and mist generators still as lag-inducing as they (supposedly) used to be? I ask this this, because I've been thinking of making a multi-level shower that would drain directly into an underground sea, thus sidestepping the problem the original poster describes.

My water FPS problems seem to be multiplied by the amount of water tiles that are touching. Small fountain = no problem. Long pressurised corridor = murder. I just think of water calculations as more pathfinding where the rules can change every frame.

Have a small water ditch to wash, atom smash to drain it and then refill. If you use two bridges from opposite sides, and have a water source directly behind one, you can use the atom smash to get rid of the old water and bring in the new to the right height without any overcomplicated designs.

Argh, undwarfy thoughts.