Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cotton Candy Do's and Don't's *possible spoilers*  (Read 2473 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Cotton Candy Do's and Don't's *possible spoilers*
« on: February 06, 2011, 01:56:54 am »

Title says it all. What should I do with my shiny blue rocks? What shouldn't I do? What should my harvesting plan be?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: Cotton Candy Do's and Don't's *possible spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:01:15 am »

You should produce one cotton candy warhammer for the captain of the guard.
You should not produce any more.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:34:49 am »

You should not let anyone less than Legendary+5 at their chosen skill touch it.
You should not sell it to anybody in any form.
You should not use it on danger room spear traps for new recruits.
You should not atom smash it.
You should not designate it for mass dumping into the semi molten rock.
You should not use muddied floor tiles made of it for farms.
You should not use it to make coffins or slabs for pets
You should not leave masterwork items made of it lying unguarded on the surface for kobalds
You should not use bolts made of it for routine training of marksdwarves
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:07:52 am »

Do use it to make all types of armor, and all non-warhammer/mace weapons (both of which rely on weight, of which Cotton Candy has none).
Do not use it to make clothes, as even these will degrade like cloth clothing and rot away.
Do use it to make 10x Large Serrated Disks that will rip through anything, including clowns, that attempt to get into your base.
Do make a few good chairs and tables, your dining room will thank you.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:04:28 am »

Thou shalt make a cotton candy axe worthy of armok!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:59:02 am »

You also shouldn't make crossbows or ammo from it.  The properties of the material make the stuff less dense than styrofoam, making it practically a nerf weapon for bludgeoning or projectile purposes, but it's pure unobtainium levels of sharpness let it carry an edge sharper than obsidian, which carries molecular-level sharpness.

Avoid going below the magma line until you're ready for the big top anything above that is safe.  Frankly, you never really need to go visit the circus itself, it's just for "winning the game" purposes, and it tends to really mess with your FPS, anyway.

The most effective use for it is in making a few cutting or piercing weapons like spears and axes, (although "foreign" 2-handed swords are technically best, since they have a greater cutting area, making for greater limb-cleaving potential,) as spears all but completely bypass armor, going straight for organs, and axes are useful on anything with no organs, like non-organics, as well as making complete sets of armor for those who wield these things, as it makes them all but immune to piercing attacks, themselves.  Layering something thick to pad against bludgeoning attacks below this is also reccomended, however.  Completely coating your elite troops in a protective cotton candy coating (making them a candyman?) ensures that your heros with legendary everything relevant skills will be virtually invulnerable to anything but syndromes and capable of single-handedly wrecking whole sieges.  (Who can suck all the challenge from the game? The candyman can!)

The stuff is absurdly valuable.  Fortress wealth will start using pinball scoring, as it is nearly ten times more valuable than making something out of solid gold.  This means fortress migrations will skyrocket, and if you weren't being visited by FBs on a weekly basis before, you sure will be, now.

Artifacts will be made of this stuff from now on.  Oftentimes, they'll just grab six different clumps of it and decorate cotton candy with more cotton candy.  This means you have to keep supplying the stuff to mooders, making a sort of ticking countdown to when you exhaust your supply.  Not good for generation forts.  Artifact armor, spears, and axes will be nice, of course, but odds are you're going to get artifact earrings that will just sit in a bin for all eternity.  This is one of the few things people will admit to savescumming on just to get a better roll. 

Because of these things, you might want to hold off on it at least until you have elites in your military, since they're the only ones who can really use it.

Personally, I and others like to hold off an actually obtaining the stuff - your artifacts, among other things, will soon become nothing but a parade of candy whatevers, you'll have to make sure it isn't being used for stupid purposes like sutures that can be made from any form of cloth, meaning you'll have to airlock it so that only fully authorized personal may touch the stuff, and if you have fun playing with the goblins at all, the stuff is not at all necessary.  It tends to rush you towards "the end of the game", however that might work, since it makes plenty of migrants and bigger sieges and megabeasts and whatever all start wanting to come to your fortress in spades, meaning you either get that one FB that spreads the flesh-dissolving plague, you open the big top and have fun with the clowns, or you just "die of FPS death" when so many dead things clutter your fort.  It really doesn't help you with anything outside of military, so if you don't want the "epic" combat scenes, you never have to touch it, except for when you want to see "the end of the game". 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 09:26:04 am »

I once had a fortress with literally HUNDREDS of the blue stuff before there was...let's say...danger, and that was 30 levels below the first candy vein! And in others I've had it so there was hardly any candy before danger. It really depends on the map I find.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

BlutundEisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:19:25 am »

I once had a fortress with literally HUNDREDS of the blue stuff before there was...let's say...danger, and that was 30 levels below the first candy vein! And in others I've had it so there was hardly any candy before danger. It really depends on the map I find.

Yep, also had several levels of candy in some underground caverns far away from magma or clowns...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 01:54:44 pm »

One old fort had a spire of the stuff running from HFS all the way to about midway between first and second caverns, which was a good 100+ levels because of my custom worldgen.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 01:57:30 pm »

Actually, I'd say giving adamantine to new recruits is a perfectly good idea since full adamantine armor effectively makes them invincible. They're almost guaranteed to survive long enough to be useful if you do that.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 02:02:36 pm »

When making furniture from it, do not make bars first, use the raw stone, at your mason's workshop. Same value, less material used.
(The same goes for native copper, silver, gold, aluminium and platinum)

Oh, and InternetKraken, I don't think malroth was referring to military dwarves, but rather to any crafters that are going to touch it.
Indeed, those should be legendary 5+ before being allowed to touch it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:04:22 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 02:43:46 pm »

My priorities for Adamantine are always Armor > Axes > Swords. Its pointless for anything else considering marksdwarves are fairly pointless at the moment.

Also, whats with this obsession of spoilering everything? It's viewable on the stone screen right from the very beginning, and it isn't rare at all. Platinum is rarer than Adamantine. The dangers of mining it are a spoiler, but the stone itself isn't.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 04:24:24 pm »

When making furniture from it, do not make bars first, use the raw stone, at your mason's workshop. Same value, less material used.
(The same goes for native copper, silver, gold, aluminium and platinum)

Not true!
Adamantine is worth x250, processed Adamantine is worth x300. :)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »

Bug: Everything made of metal requires one bar/wafer.

If that wasn't around, stone would be more economical.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 05:31:06 pm »

Actually, I'd say giving adamantine to new recruits is a perfectly good idea since full adamantine armor effectively makes them invincible. They're almost guaranteed to survive long enough to be useful if you do that.

I think he meant for crafting purposes for best chances at masterworks.
Pages: [1] 2