Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Homefront, that other FPS  (Read 5044 times)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Homefront, that other FPS
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2011, 09:14:49 pm »

Its North Korea because they are safe. Couldn't really do Russia like the classic Red Dawn now could we? Because they are not the "Red Threat" any more.

World in Conflict?  I'll admit that it was a hypothetical scenario set in 1989, but I can't imagine the modern day Russians were exactly thrilled.

KG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2011, 09:16:02 pm »

i miss the KGB, those were some badass spies other than Mossad

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2011, 09:50:20 pm »

What if the US didn't successfully rebel in the 1700s but decided to have a major uprising in the year 2012?  A rebellion is a very interesting situation, and it'd be fun to play with the idea in a modern setting.

Nice...  Tie it in with allusions to the actual revolution to get the (US) player base teary eyed, and you've got a game.

Sink a supertanker full of tea by crashing a plane into it wait I didn't even realize what I was saying there D:
Britain maintaining any significant degree of control over america is pretty ridiculous... There's a reason the british empire fell apart you know...
That said it's about as feasible as north korea invading the US... so go for it. It could be pretty interesting.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2011, 11:48:16 pm »

Canada still pays respects to the monarchy - I don't see it being an impossible scenario.  The revolutionaries won because they broke the rules of war of the time, were fighting for something they believed in, had help from the French, and got lucky a lot of the time.

What if it were different, though?  What if the British had been more lax with their taxes and policies?  What if they had granted Americans a large degree of freedom, especially representation in parliament?  Then a rebellion would have seemed silly and pointless.  The rebels wouldn't have received quite so many to fill their ranks, and would have been regarded by the majority as trouble makers and destroyers of the peace.

Meanwhile, the clear-minded and somewhat upset (Just not to the point of open rebellion) writers of the Constitution would have done all their famous tidbits in secret, preparing the country for the day when a democracy could be established in America.

You already have three factions - The British, the Rebels, and the Democratic Revolutionaries.  The Rebels and Revolutionaries might join together, but their different ideologies, especially concerning terrorist tactics, could rupture the alliance easily.

In a game setting, it comes down to the ends justifying the means - Do you choose the route of hitting them where it hurts and tearing them apart from home?  Or do you join the idealists, fighting bravely in heated combat and only striking military and tactical targets?

Sorry, I'll quit hijacking the thread.  Back to Home Front.

I guess the determining factor for me will be the multi-player.  If that's good enough, then it doesn't even matter if it has a single-player campaign or not.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2011, 11:58:38 pm »

Why hasn't anyone gotten tired of Americans shooting _____?
If they're not shooting at Nazis, they're shooting at Soviets, if they're not shooting at Soviets, they're shooting at Terrorists, if they're not shooting at terrorists, they're shooting at 1950s Communist Chinese, if they're not shooting at 1950s Communist Chinese, they're shooting at Communist Cubans, if they're not shooting at Communist Cubans, they're shooting at other Americans, if they aren't shooting at other Americans they're shooting at Aliens, and if they're not shooting at Aliens, then that leaves no other alternative to the developers and so they must be shooting at the North Koreans!
There are scant few games where you can shoot Americans. Apart from aliens that is, sub games, and flight sims. But never in any first person shooter game of a real country.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2011, 12:28:37 am »

That just may be because America is a big part of the gaming market.
Oh, and also your argument is invalid.

Saboteur: You're an Irishman killing Nazis
Call of Duty Series: You often get to play as a Brit (and sometimes even a Russian)
Medal of Honor: Underground: Old as hell, but my favorite. Also, you're a French chick.
Any James Bond Game (Especially Goldeneye): Brit killing doodz
Metro 2033: You're a Rooski

The game market has plenty of variety. You just have to look for it.
Though to be fair, I don't mind handing out democratic bullets postmarked from America one bit.

What do you want them to make? A game where you play as a Zulu warrior chucking spears and lions (that's historically accurate, right?) at the British as they try to take your lands?

Well damn it, now I want that game.

That's all I can think of in my current state of mind.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2011, 01:42:42 am »

If they're not shooting at Nazis, they're shooting at Soviets, if they're not shooting at Soviets, they're shooting at Terrorists, if they're not shooting at terrorists, they're shooting at 1950s Communist Chinese, if they're not shooting at 1950s Communist Chinese, they're shooting at Communist Cubans, if they're not shooting at Communist Cubans, they're shooting at other Americans, if they aren't shooting at other Americans they're shooting at Aliens, and if they're not shooting at Aliens, then that leaves no other alternative to the developers and so they must be shooting at the North Koreans!
There are scant few games where you can shoot Americans. Apart from aliens that is, sub games, and flight sims. But never in any first person shooter game of a real country.

So... You want to play as some terrorist group fighting for "religion" or a German for the Final Solution?    :-\
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2011, 06:55:04 am »

I'd actually argue that the modern trend is shooting anything that doesn't speak English. Xenophobia ftw.

I like how Modern Warfare 2 even put in shooting up an airport of Russian civilians for some convoluted story reason (which made no sense). They wouldn't do that with an American airport, oh no, people actually speak "civilized" there.

So... You want to play as some terrorist group fighting for "religion" or a German for the Final Solution?    :-\
Not everyone America fought was a religious nut job or a nazi. Give me the Pacific on the side of the Japs or Vietnam as the commies any day. Or hell, even some fictional near future war. Just don't put me in the shoes of some self-righteous cretins who think you can forcefully spread their particular idea of democracy, it's boring by now.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2011, 06:22:32 pm »

So apperently in Japan they are censoring out references to North Korea.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/02/homefront-north-korea/

Fear the might of Canada!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2011, 07:03:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I personally think that those would make great stories even if their only virtue is that they've never been told before. Say, playing as a Wehrmacht soldier witnessing atrocities, bonus points if you can do something about it either for or against. Problem with that is that it would probably be commercially banned in a lot of countries.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2011, 07:45:41 pm »

You see, the problem is the old adage "History is written by the victors." Generally, the loser is vilified to make the war seem just. In video games the enemy is simplified to the nation you are fighting against. You aren't fighting against German Wehrmacht soldiers, you're fighting against the Nazi Reich. You aren't fighting Russian soldiers most likely drafted, you're fighting Communists.

I would love a game where you play as aliens invading Earth, or Germans fighting WWI or WWII, or Soviet Russians fighting in Afghanistan (that one would be EPIC, and has NEVER been made in a game to my knowledge.) The other side, if you will.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2011, 10:37:04 pm »

Destroy all humans allows you to play as the invading aliens, although in a rather comical and non serious atmosphere. There are also quite a lot of old games where you are playing as the Germans, the panzer general series for example. We just don't have anything personal like a first person shooter where there's a central character with a story that heavily involves him/her in the same manner as their counterpart allied centric series do.

While I do realize that there is a good deal of vilification involved with the losing sides of the second world war, portraying them by no means makes them heroes nor does it necessarily make the players sympathetic to them. I think a lot of people get confused with this sort of thing being a common tripe occurrence in media, but not recognizing that it is not a law that governs how stories are told.
Having the main character devolve into a total monster can be a very good story, and there are quite a lot of games and stories out there that have a great deal of violence in them, but ultimately carry message to the contrary.
In any case, I'm glad that someone out there shares my sentiments.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2011, 11:20:30 pm »

I have to agree with these sentiments.  It'd be a nice breath of fresh air to play a "Woah, (INSERT ENEMY HERE) is invading!!" game in the perspective of another country.  Or even an offensive war against another country.

As proud as I am of my country, it'd be fun to pretend to be British - 007 doesn't do it for me, though.  I've never really liked Bond's character, so I can't connect with him very well.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2011, 11:26:32 pm »

What's so wrong with an occasional ridiculous scenario? Nobody complained about Stalin vs Martians.
We don't talk about Stalin vs. Martians.
WORSTBEST GAME EVER.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2011, 12:28:25 am »

RED. FACTION. One of my favorites actually.

Dear lord yes, my brothers and I lapped up all the Red Faction games. I must have soaked literally hundreds of hours into the series, and I'm looking forward to Armageddon so much.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5