Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarven tenacity at its finest  (Read 3797 times)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven tenacity at its finest
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 01:37:53 pm »

THIS is why I kill cats.  The FPS is secondary.  The vermin corpses left in my fort's only doorway, have caused me to scum-save dozens of times.  Next re-gen, I'm removing the entire creature definition for cats.

Orders (o) > Refuse (r) > Dwarves gather refuse (r), Dwarves gather refuse from outside (o).

Dwarves should now collect and remove all vermin corpses; assuming you have a refuse stockpile. We all know how intelligent dwarves can be, however.

I did not know this! Thank you for this!

Seriously, I've got a MOUNTAIN of Goblin and Troll corpses just lying around outside, and I wanted a way to get rid of them (or move them to the refuse pile) now there is!

I don't suppose you know if I can assign a pit as a refuse pile?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 02:22:23 pm »

You can put the save refuse options differently vermin is in the other category which contains nothing useful (vermin, dead plants ext.). Now setting up a garbage dump zone above some magma is a good way to get rid of all the vermin corpses.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 03:37:58 pm »

This is a fake lower spine and legs! It is made of the finest cat bones, encircled with bands of dwarven beard and menaces with spikes of catskin leather!

That would possibly be the strongest material ever.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 03:43:36 pm »

Tosid Domaskizest, Miner, has created Titthalenshal Tudrug Tholtig, a slate door!

This is a slate door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with mule leather. On the item is an image of Udil Earthenoar the dwarf in slate. On the item is an image of large roaches in slate. On the item is an image of a mountain in mica.

Roaches.. probably the only company he had down there. Mountain.. so the fort is on a mountain perhaps? If not, he was homesick.
Udil Earthenoar.. Earth, also known as dirt. The only thing he had to look at all the time he was there.
And it's a door.. he made it so that it should prevent others to suffer the same fate he did.

So it's not all that random, you just have to think of the details.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 03:57:42 pm »

Would have been better if he'd made an artifact coffin...

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 05:21:11 pm »

I like the thought you put into it Ultimuh.
It's like insane troll logic, except it actually makes sense.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 05:38:00 pm »

I'm actually in a marsh, and the tantrum spiral didn't kill off my entire fort, and a new wave of migrants moved in, so future generations may still be able to honor those who fell before them after all.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 05:40:42 pm »

Would have been better if he'd made an artifact coffin...
Funny you should say that, one of my dwarves, just now, created a legendary birchen casket artifact.
I'mma move my miner there, as a tribute.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:43:40 pm by elf-fondling human »
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 05:43:46 pm »

THIS is why I kill cats.  The FPS is secondary.  The vermin corpses left in my fort's only doorway, have caused me to scum-save dozens of times.  Next re-gen, I'm removing the entire creature definition for cats.
You could remove [VERMINHUNTER] right now.

Or mod out vermin and cats altogether.  Conveniently done for you in rephikul's Intensifying Mod.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 06:56:40 pm »

Oh this'll be good.
I shall wait to see what months of pain, anger, and hate shall look like once carved into an artifact.

. . .

Guys.

This is a possession.

As in, he is POSSESSED by some un-earthly being, FORCING him to do stuff.

I have yet to see a possession linked to the host personality, skills or history. That's why possessed dwarves don't gain legendary status.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 07:33:22 pm »

He's possessed by the disembodied artifact, controlling the dwarf body to create an item body for itself.

why do they settle for being floodgates is beyond me
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 07:43:52 pm »

"YOU! DWARF! I DEMAND TO BE PLACED IN FRONT OF A MAGMA VENT, NEAR A NOBLE'S BEDROOM.  THEN BUILD A LEVER TO ME IN THE NOBLE'S ROOM!  HMMM HMMM HMM. HAAA HAAA HAAA! SOON, I SHALL FURTHER MY VENGEANCE AGAINST ALL THE ACCURSED NOBLES IN THE WORLD, ONE FORTRESS AT A TIME!"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 09:11:05 pm »

"YOU! DWARF! I DEMAND TO BE PLACED IN FRONT OF A MAGMA VENT, NEAR A NOBLE'S BEDROOM.  THEN BUILD A LEVER TO ME IN THE NOBLE'S ROOM!  HMMM HMMM HMM. HAAA HAAA HAAA! SOON, I SHALL FURTHER MY VENGEANCE AGAINST ALL THE ACCURSED NOBLES IN THE WORLD, ONE FORTRESS AT A TIME!"

Sigged, though not as good out of context.  :D
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 09:23:16 pm »

Sigged, though not as good out of context.  :D

You might need to put a note that it's a floodgate talking.  Like [Floodgate: ] or [Possessed Floodgate: ] in brackets at the front of the quote.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 11:22:26 pm »

Oh this'll be good.
I shall wait to see what months of pain, anger, and hate shall look like once carved into an artifact.

. . .

Guys.

This is a possession.

As in, he is POSSESSED by some un-earthly being, FORCING him to do stuff.

I have yet to see a possession linked to the host personality, skills or history. That's why possessed dwarves don't gain legendary status.
I knew that already, I just put that in simply because I could.
Although it is a cool idea, having a dwarf's emotions influence the artifact.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.
Pages: 1 [2] 3