Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarven tenacity at its finest  (Read 3801 times)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Dwarven tenacity at its finest
« on: February 06, 2011, 12:17:01 am »

One of my miners just fell down two z-levels, broke both legs and his lower spine, and layed there for months without my damned medic even pretending to care. A few months later, he gets possessed and drags himself to the workshop. This artifact shall reflect his feelings in the last moments of his life, so I shall make it my mission to see that he completes it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:25:12 am by elf-fondling human »
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven tenacity at its finest
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 12:19:37 am »

Oh this'll be good.
I shall wait to see what months of pain, anger, and hate shall look like once carved into an artifact.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 12:31:51 am »

win
LOSING IS FUN!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:38:03 am »

Tosid Domaskizest, Miner, has created Titthalenshal Tudrug Tholtig, a slate door!

This is a slate door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with mule leather. On the item is an image of Udil Earthenoar the dwarf in slate. On the item is an image of large roaches in slate. On the item is an image of a mountain in mica.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 12:39:31 am »

Or all that pain, anger, and hate could come together into a random mess.
Who is this Udil Earthenoar? The King?
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 12:43:21 am »

No clue, this was still this fortress's first year, and I only had 20 or dwarves (before half of them died of thirst while I focused all of my attention on getting this guy everything he needed), none of whom were named that whatsoever.

In fact, my cripple just died as well, so his door shall become a memorial.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:48:38 am by elf-fondling human »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 04:12:52 am »

Best part about artifact doors is that like all artifacts, they are unbreakable. So put it straight out to the caverns, or topside as a better, leverless bridge--just don't let a sock or a dead vermin leave it stuck open.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 04:16:35 am »

THIS is why I kill cats.  The FPS is secondary.  The vermin corpses left in my fort's only doorway, have caused me to scum-save dozens of times.  Next re-gen, I'm removing the entire creature definition for cats.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 04:22:22 am »

THIS is why I kill cats.  The FPS is secondary.  The vermin corpses left in my fort's only doorway, have caused me to scum-save dozens of times.  Next re-gen, I'm removing the entire creature definition for cats.

Orders (o) > Refuse (r) > Dwarves gather refuse (r), Dwarves gather refuse from outside (o).

Dwarves should now collect and remove all vermin corpses; assuming you have a refuse stockpile. We all know how intelligent dwarves can be, however.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 04:25:54 am »

The problem is that refuse stockpiles get stocked up very fast, especially with cats around.  A macaque raid can generate 7 corpses, each of which generates 3+ hair/nerves/etc, for upwards of 25 junk items, not counting the existing un-butcherable pet corpses, halfway rotted legs and arms that have yet to be butchered, rotten food, and the piles upon piles of existing vermin remains.  I've frequently needed to make enormous 19x19 refuse piles, and still overstocked them with roach corpses and hair.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 04:31:34 am »

Fair point, sir.

You may get around that problem by periodically dumping everything in the stockpile; an alternative being to simply dump the problematic doorway refuse.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 04:31:47 am »

Dwarven atom smasher time!
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 04:37:19 am »

The problems there being A) I don't realize that someone left a rat in the door until the ambush is inside my fort, and B) same thing really, I forget to check my doors for things that shouldn't exist.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 12:22:01 pm »

You could remove [VERMINHUNTER] right now.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 12:54:01 pm »

Might I reccomend double doors?  Or triple doors?  Or decaquintuple doors?

They are practically free, and the more failsafes you install, the less likely you are to be screwed by a monarch butterfly corpse.  Furthermore, if you are attacked by a building destroyer, each door forces the destroyer to pause for a good couple hundred frames.  Putting a door in front of every stairway and periodically through hallways will also prevent miasma from spreading very far. 

All for virtually no cost (using up the stone is practically its own benefit, and it's good stonemason training), without causing any interruption in pathfinding times, and without slowing your dwarves down.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2 3