Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Colonize the Legendary Planet (generic succession game)(come on and get dorfed!)  (Read 10042 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile

The Legendary Planet is a world generated in .31.18 with NoExotic and the Display Case mod. It includes such places as the Tundra of Fanciness, the Ice of Conflagration, the Desert of Caverns, the Triangular Jungle, and the Steppe of Poetry.

And soon, it will contain our fortress.

So, where should we settle? And who will be the first seven?

Spoiler: Succession Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Lists (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:26:11 pm by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colonize the Legendary Planet (succession game)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:22:30 pm »

This sounds interesting. I want in.
For best results we should embark in a place where we can get as many exotic beasts as possible.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:25:28 pm by Dragooble »
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:31:35 pm »

Yeah, I don't know what kind of a place that would be.

High savagery or what?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:48:42 pm »

High savagery would be good.

RandAnima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:10:10 pm »

I've never tried a succession fort, I'd love to try this one! I agree, for most fun, a savage embodiment, sieges and formidable wild life.

Dorf:
Name: Random
Skills: furnace operating, weapon smithing (optional), hammerdwarf.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 11:21:25 pm »

Oh, yes, we do need to make sure we have goblins. They're the only source of goblinite, dontcha know. Valuable stuff, that.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 11:22:25 pm »

IN, third turn
Name:DevilEd

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 11:31:17 pm »

Anyone have opinions on aquifers? Seek them, skip them, don't care?

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 11:34:23 pm »

Partial aquifer, huh? That's harder to find, since I cant put it in the finder, but I'll try.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 11:47:38 pm »

Well, we've found our site. We'll be embarking where the Basic Dunes meet the Everlasting Steppe.

We'll have flux stone, sand, water, and just enough trees to get by. What should we bring with us? I'm gonna insist on a cow and a bull, because mmm, steak, but further input will be helpful.

My mentality here is "fortress by committee", can you tell?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:58:55 am by billybobfred »

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 01:09:29 pm »

Spring, Year 1

We've grabbed our stuff and embarked to this promising area to strike the earth.

The most logical place to park the wagon would have been right next to that little plateau, but unfortunately, the wheels snapped, stranding the wagon just far enough away to be annoying.

A quick look around reveals not a creature in sight, so we at least won't be bothered by elephants or cows or something. Dragoobie can complain about the lack of wildlife all he wants, what I want for our first spring is a little peace so we can get building.

I grab a pick and toss one to... uh, I don't remember his name, this guy. He joined us to mine, and made it quite clear that he had no intention of doing anything else. Fine by me. Anyway, he and I start mining out our entrance while Oranin and... uh, some woman I don't recognize start cutting trees.

"Damnit billy, I'm a bookkeeper, not a lumberjack! I should be working in an office, not out under the blistering sun!"

"I know, Oranin, but we just got here. You don't have an office yet, and there's very little to count anyway..."

The first thing we dig out is an L-shaped passageway, ending in some downward ramps straight into the Trade Depot. DevilEd is the architect and mason around here, so he builds the thing once it has a place, while we move on to what will eventually be a craftsdwarf's shop.

"Hey Dragoobie, will you get a carpentry shop up? We want to get beds out ASAP!"

"Yeah, yeah..." He's noticed a flock of camels, both one- and two-humped, but that won't cheer up the wildlife fanatic in him.

We spend a while mining out a barracks and an archery range. "Oi, billy, beds are done!"

"Good, there's just enough space in the barracks to set them up. Everyone on that, all right?" That gets done fairly fast. There's a little snafu with a rock that DevilEd had claimed, but it gets sorted out.

I have a few things designated out. Can't remember whether underground farms that are also on soil need mud, so I just divert the river a bit so I can irrigate regardless.

What's with these floors where our irrigation channels are going to oh wait there's an archery range there WHOOOOPS. NEW PLAN.

Summer has arrived.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:11:51 pm by billybobfred »

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 01:37:05 pm »

(oops i clicked post for some reason when I meant to not do that)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 01:44:03 pm »

I'm glad I'm some kind of wildlife fanatic. When I'm in charge we will have so many bizarre creatures to look at. Also I'm pretty sure we don't need to irrigate soil to farm it.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 01:48:59 pm »

(don't need to irrigate above-ground soil to farm, but yes below-ground).
Dwarf me as a mechanic/siege engineer.
Turns: I can take slack as needed, but I can't be on every day. If that's fine with you, you can sign me up for year 5.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 01:59:45 pm »

The summer migration has arrived.

A skilled axe soldier and high-master gem setter (lolwat) with a handful of other skills.
A proficient tanner, novice clothier, and accomplished cheesemaker.
A talented gem cutter who has a few other skills.
A talented fish cleaner who can also cut gems a bit.
And a surgeon.

I hand out a few quick orders. The surgeon is to learn mechanics, the axe soldier is to join Random in training once squads are set up... some other boring junk as well.

Oh wow look at all those buzzards.

They are stealing our food.  >:(

So I spend a harrowing rest of the season getting everyone to gather a bunch of plants so we don't starve to death, which barely works as nobody has died yet. Meanwhile, we've run out of booze.

Fucking buzzards.

Meanwhile, a dwarf named TolyK has offered to relieve that surgeon of mechanics duty. Fine by me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8