Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wishing things would rot.  (Read 1533 times)

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wishing things would rot.
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:01:26 pm »

My refuse stockpiles have been filling up with mass amounts vermin corpses. After a while, I noticed the problem was that that lizard corpse halfway down the tenth row HASN'T ROTTED IN A YEAR. I haven't seen miasma in a long, long time. Nothing at all rots anymore, in any of my forts. Anyone have an idea what's going on?
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Wishing things would rot.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:04:58 pm »

Version 31.01 happened.  Because of the new way zombies and stuff are handled, there were changes to the code for rotting, and there were bugs introduced because of it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:25:22 pm »

There's a way to automatically designate remains for dumping, which should help with your clutter problem. It's in the (O)rders menu somewhere. Gimme a bit and I'll find out exactly where.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:47:14 pm »

try placing your stockpiles outside
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 08:48:57 pm »

Oh, yeah, underground things tend not to rot.  Bone stockpiles will remain forever, and I assume vermin remains as well.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 10:18:45 pm »

bones can rot?
LOSING IS FUN!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 10:26:50 pm »

My refuse stockpiles have been filling up with mass amounts vermin corpses. After a while, I noticed the problem was that that lizard corpse halfway down the tenth row HASN'T ROTTED IN A YEAR. I haven't seen miasma in a long, long time. Nothing at all rots anymore, in any of my forts. Anyone have an idea what's going on?

I keep the stockpiles outdoors (including outdoor areas that I've created artificial ceilings over, to make sure they won't create miasma).  Then when they fill up, I mass forbid everything (d-b-f) and remove the stockpile.  Every so often, when I'm not dumping stone into my quantum stockpile, I reclaim all that crap, mass dump it, and move my garbage zone to the atom smasher.

You're right, though, that it's kind of annoying, because that makes it hard to get, say, goblin bones any more.

Honestly, I wish that rotting could come back and that zombies would just turn into skeletons over time or something.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 11:17:56 am »

I just have a one tile dump in my forges, over a hole into the magma sea. Dwarves are set to Keep Bones/Shells/Corpses and Dump Other. I never see vermin corpses in my refuse pile, or if a cat does drop something in there a dwarf will immediately go pick it up and toss it down the magma chute. Works great.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 12:57:10 pm »

I just have a one tile dump in my forges, over a hole into the magma sea. Dwarves are set to Keep Bones/Shells/Corpses and Dump Other. I never see vermin corpses in my refuse pile, or if a cat does drop something in there a dwarf will immediately go pick it up and toss it down the magma chute. Works great.

This also works with atom smashers hooked to a repeater, or just hooked up to a lever with a "pull lever" order set on eternal repeat (doesn't matter if the nobles/children take occasional breaks, it gets smashed eventually).  Less hassle than a chute all the way down to the magma sea.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 03:49:05 pm »

Just be sure to make the bridge inaccessible normally, and have garbage dumped from the level above, otherwise you get smashed civilians.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 03:51:31 pm »

I thought bones/skulls/etc did rot if left indoors, just that it took much longer to do.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 03:58:50 pm »

They don't appear to in subterranean areas, at least not past skeletons.  Unsure about above ground inside though.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 04:16:27 pm »

So a pile of bone won't just disintegrate?  Interesting.

I know that was the case in .40D but I thought it was changed for .31.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 09:06:55 pm »

Ok, found it. (O)ders -> (r)efuse. There's options for "dwarves save bones" and "dwarves save blahblahblah." Change the one that says "dwarves save other" to "dwarves dump other," and make sure you have a dump zone designated. They'll dump remains automatically.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 09:20:08 pm »

What constitutes "other"?  I never chose it because I don't want to risk dwarves dumping horns, for example.
Pages: [1] 2