Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends review  (Read 440 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legends review
« on: February 05, 2011, 07:56:27 pm »

As so often happens, I was feeling nostalgic for old forts. After yet another boredom abandon, I decided I'd look at the history of the world. Have I been a positive influence on the world? What happens in my forts after I leave? How do the dwarves remember history?

Chamberlashed (year 251-252), lived for a year then collapsed for unknown reasons.

Pillerstabbed (year 523-257) was relatively unremarkable. Apparently I used a lot of silver war hammers for a while, but then I  used whatever other weapons I got from the goblins and merchants. Steel short swords were common, but so were battle axes, scourges, and daggers. They are very well known for the masterful rock salt and sylvite crafts.

Bouldercatches (year 258-262) used a lot of goblinite weapons as well, with great mention of goblins being slain with copper flails, long swords, and iron scourges. In the early summer of 261, 'Ral' letterages started slaughtering people with a copper pick. He continued on until he was killed by a cow. A tantrum spiral started happening, with the main defense from goblins being human merchants. The dead were replaced by settlers, who said "screw this" and abandoned the fort to its fate.

My most successful fort was called Combinering (263-271). We created a huge amount of masterful historical artifacts, and killed untold amounts of goblins and trolls. A few were killed by training rooms (though not too many). At one point 4 full squads who alternated training, resting, and guarding the front gate were in action. Near the end, in the year 271, I started getting bored - killing human merchants randomly. I abandoned later that year, and the palace was largely forgotten for 18 years. In the year 289 I had an expedition to reclaim the place, but it failed within the year (FPS issues). Horas became a pretty famous dwarf, having named the "paddlesings the sorcerous secret", a steel short sword. He has 25 notable kills, including the cyclops "Eti Cavelanterns the Green Dawn", Splitstoked the blind cave ogre, and Uktang Shadowsunken the forgotten beast. It's a shame they don't list the squad he lead, because the whole group was full of badasses.

Keycontrol(272, 273-274), an experiment in purely underground civilization. The first effort (a group from The Relic of Crews) failed completely - slaughtered by troglodytes and finished off by a berserk dwarf. The group that retook the fort (a group from The Purple Syrup, rp'd as having found the journal of the previous fort in the river) had little more benefit. History rights that they had a bunch of settlers, a bunch of ghosts, then they were killed by a cave crocodile.

Jawanvil (275-276, 276-279), history writes, had continuous problems with goblins and ghosts. They eventually started killing each other, but that was meaningless in the face of the goblins. The only thing they are known for in history is producing very high quality coffins. The Wickedness of Racks utterly destroyed them.

Claspedallies (280-284) made a lot of rope reed products. They had basically no notable kills (did they have a military? no dwarf knows).  One dwarf named Kogan the Natural Fury ended up going crazy, and killed everyone in the fort... including one goblin. Oh, they designed a masterful road as well before Kogan killed everything and died of thirst.

Tradewarm (285-287) put Claspedallies to shame for sheer amount of masterful rope reed products made. They killed a few kobolds and a few goblins, though no notable sieges happened. That's it, a lot of masterful rope reed, and then abandoned.

I looked at the notible artifacts next. The ones I found most notable (as in, not standard crafts) were these:
The Beloved leaves  - a cowbone hatch cover from Pillarstabbed
Seasonstrangers the Shaken Symmetry- iron shield from pillarsabed
Paddlsings the Sorcerous Secret -Named and held by Horas Helmsswallows, 22 notable kills at Combinering
Templeanguish the Liberation of Quandries - a green glass bed from Combinering
The Homage of Miles - A lead battle ax (how useful?) from Combinering

Notable Artwork:
-The Hazy Decision - depecting the god Enshal, who symbolizes birth, rebirth,death, blight, and disease - a rotting male dwarf
-The Twine of Gales - depicts Horas strking down a troll with his legendary sword during "the attack of danger", made in goblin bone.
-The Tree of Targeting - depicts 'Dawson' Glazedthunder, showing the electino of Dawson to the mayorship. It's little known, but she was also the baron, the trader, and the record keeper for Combinering until shortly before the king arrived. This is probably the most personal piece of artwork, as Dawson was awesome.
-The Barricaded Thrift - depicts 'Dawson' Glazedthunder, when Dawson's mayorship was revoked. It was around that time she was stricken with meloncholy.
-The Elbow of Creation - exceptionally designed image of thread. A... line?

---
Lesson - the things you care about are not the things the dwarves care about? I don't know, but my nostalgia is filled now.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends review
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:15:54 pm »

Lead is worse at cutting than silver. However, because silver is such a poor cutting material anyways, it would probably default to a weak blunt attack against any type of armor, making lead slightly better. Maybe put it in a weapon trap or something, because it's too weak for combat, but too deadly for justice.