Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upright sword?  (Read 3553 times)

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Upright sword?
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:18:54 am »

What the fuck, mechanics? You get to see through 62 layers of pure stone and see a sword?
Assholes. I think I know what this means. Circus, I believe you guys call it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
Re: Upright sword?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:20:38 am »

yeah its fun how those show up on stocks list...
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:22:14 am »

Does this also mean I get the boost in migrants because of the very cool sword down there?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:30:48 am »

Does this also mean I get the boost in migrants because of the very cool sword down there?

Yep. Migrants, as far as I know, are influenced by the deaths in your fortress and the fortress value. Theoretically, if you made ten million dwarfbucks a year, migrants would come disregarding the fact that half the population died due to, hmm, what's the most common cause of death in DF? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess it's psychotic overseers demanding a cast obsidian pyramid built during a necrotic FB syndrome outbreak that ends up in the infected dwarf lying down on the floor, rotting in extreme pain, until he either suffocates or dies of thirst. Yeah.

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 08:33:54 am »

In my case legendary miners managing to kill a FB on their own but then dying when I send them to fight a crundle.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 08:45:19 am »

Nah, it are the goblins standing on the other side of the volcano that causes everyone to run around in circles until the overseer decided to abandon the fortress even though the gobbos had no way of entering the fortress...

I HATE DWARFS!

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 11:14:53 am »

In my case legendary miners managing to kill a FB on their own but then dying when I send them to fight a crundle.

Was the FB a fluffy pink rabbit with four eyes who intones the names of all it meets or something?

Sometimes it produces some pretty silly (read: nonthreatening) FBs.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 12:17:27 pm »

FBs mechanics are broken, in my opinion. A cheese maker can kill a random FB while ten freaking legendary dwarfs in adamantine can fail to harm another. I think that bad fortress management (tantrum spiral, starvation) killed much more dorfs than the Forgotten Beasts.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:38:05 pm »

FBs mechanics are broken, in my opinion. A cheese maker can kill a random FB while ten freaking legendary dwarfs in adamantine can fail to harm another. I think that bad fortress management (tantrum spiral, starvation) killed much more dorfs than the Forgotten Beasts.

I don't find 'wildly different strength levels' to be 'broken'... it means you need ot keep an eye on what's wandering around down there and determine the threat level appropriately.

Giant three-legged bat with venemous bite and 'beware its poisonous dust'? Stay the heck away!

Giant three-legged bat made out of glass? Doable.

Giant three-legged bat made out of porridge? Yum!

(Yes, I know FB's cannot actually be made out of porridge, but c'mon, wouldn't it be awesome if they could?)
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 01:21:43 pm »

Migrants, as far as I know, are influenced by the deaths in your fortress and the fortress value.
Does anybody know off the top of their head how the hard-coded immigrants are affected by upright swords?

(I seem to have terrible luck with getting these. With all the test fortresses I've started, you'd think there'd be one there sooner or later (I do check with R). I recently embarked on a volcano that neatly covered a 16x16 area, and guess what? Still no sword! The game must have placed it on the same square as the magma or something.)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 02:16:15 pm »

(Yes, I know FB's cannot actually be made out of porridge, but c'mon, wouldn't it be awesome if they could?)

They can be made of water. Not as yummy as porridge, though.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 12:17:28 am »

I don't find 'wildly different strength levels' to be 'broken'... it means you need ot keep an eye on what's wandering around down there and determine the threat level appropriately.

Giant three-legged bat with venemous bite and 'beware its poisonous dust'? Stay the heck away!

Giant three-legged bat made out of glass? Doable.

Giant three-legged bat made out of porridge? Yum!

I want Forgotten Beasts made from food, so I can get a plump helmet FB. Then I can send my army of starved children down to devour them alive.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 12:27:32 am »

Re the FB levels - while not 'broken' it would be nice to be able to 'eyeball' the likelihood of mass dwarf slaughter, tantrum spiral, and fall of the fortress from something more than whether the FB is made out of something soluble or edible...

I just lost a fun (in the real sense of the word) fortress to an FB that was almost identical to the previous - a giant hairless snail, one with a fiery breath, the other with a paralysing spit .... The first one was killed by a macedwarf and a kitten.  The second killed half the squad, and paralysed the rest, resulting in them starving, etc; next thing the mayor is strangling a child in the dining room...

Anyway, got the Upright Sword a few fortresses ago, and managed to get it, to see what would happen. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Because DF players are heavily into pain.