Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Caring for your Tigerman  (Read 6243 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Caring for your Tigerman
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:32:42 pm »

Every time the elf caravan comes along, I see that Tigerman in a cage, and say, "Ohshit a Tigerman, badass!" because a) I'm a dirty pervy furry, b) tigers are awesome, and c) I've always wanted a tigerman mayor, simply for lulz.  Then every time I say "Wait, my last seven tame tigermen have all died of thirst due to freezing water... or they fought one goblin thief, took a slash to the hand, and bled out like some type of furry elven baby." but then I buy it anyways and it dies.

So, anyone had luck with these guys?  Are they worth the effort?  They seem weaker in combat than an actual tiger, get uppity and thirsty, and waste my corpse stockpile.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Caring for your Tigerman
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 10:39:18 pm »

I've been trying to create an all-tigerman army and guard corp, but it's really hard. I've decided it would be best to dig them out their own water reservoir, and I'd assume having a magma reservoir under it would keep it from freezing. I also need to draft all of the females into my nekomimi maid cafe.
Speaking of, I could probably mod in a "cat ears" type hat item if I wanted to...
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:43:59 pm »

I'm still waiting on custom moods before I abuse things like nekomimi maid cafe.  It's a workshop, with a custom reaction requiring one tigerwoman, that produces nothing but gives the thought "Urist has visited a brothel lately".

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:45:04 pm »

Epic. I shall need the raws for this once it is completed.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:45:39 pm »

I've only been able to keep them alive on maps where I have a constant supply of fresh water.  They need to drink water and don't seem to want to use a well.  They also need to eat meat, although prepared food with meat in it seems to count.

I've never even tried to use them in combat.  They're more of a mascot than an army.  I recommend only getting males, because they breed like mad if you actually have the right conditions to keep them alive.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:52:11 pm »

I am going to mod in a race that can be enslaved and used in your base as labor, doing some research about it.

Why does this apply here?

Cause they will all be neko women.  :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:54:57 pm »

Tigermen are basically neko with more fur, so yeah.  I'd wanted to do that also, but slave labor is difficult to achieve in current versions.  You can certainly make custom reactions that require a pet, but it will still be the actual dwarf doing the labor.  Also fun, with custom reactions you can make any animal milkable by making the product milk and "same type as regent".  I have yet to try this though.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:15:10 pm »

One of the tokens makes them impossible to milk.  I think it's [CAN_SPEAK], but it's one of the ones rolled up into [INTELLIGENT]. 

As the early 31.01 experiments on milking male dwarves showed, however, you can have a caste of your own race that are milkable so long as they are not intelligent.

Also, you are a sick, twisted player for thinking about it.  No, don't ask me why I knew about the milking thing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 11:48:49 pm »

One of the tokens makes them impossible to milk.  I think it's [CAN_SPEAK], but it's one of the ones rolled up into [INTELLIGENT]. 

As the early 31.01 experiments on milking male dwarves showed, however, you can have a caste of your own race that are milkable so long as they are not intelligent.

Also, you are a sick, twisted player for thinking about it.  No, don't ask me why I knew about the milking thing.

Answer: Hipocrisy!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 12:08:41 am »

I'm still waiting on custom moods before I abuse things like nekomimi maid cafe.  It's a workshop, with a custom reaction requiring one tigerwoman, that produces nothing but gives the thought "Urist has visited a brothel lately".

I must have this.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 12:33:11 am »

Just edited up some quick cat stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maid stuff, too...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually, I should edit them to give male dwarves pleasant thoughts when they're around them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:51:36 am by elf-fondling human »

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 12:47:00 am »

To be honest, I modified the RAWs so that the tigerman creature doesn't require water. Solves that freshwater issue.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 01:27:45 am »

A) Not conventional milking, this is cheat milking.  Instead of adding MILKABLE to the creature, you instead make a custom reaction that requires one pet, and produces one milk of GET_REGENT_MATERIAL or else specific creatures and produce specific milk.  It's hax, and may require you to define a custom milk type in the raws, since the game may not generate a milk type from thin air like it does leather and meat types.

B) How do you mod thoughts?  I didn't think this was possible.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 02:14:43 am »

Answer: Hipocrisy!

Which was why I did it to the men - I felt too dirty trying to turn the women into "livestock" and then milking them, even just to experiment with how the whole system worked, so I did it to the men, instead, so that it would just be really, really bizzare instead of sexually perverse and misogynistic.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 02:24:09 am »

It is not possible to mod thoughts, or necessarily reasonable to directly influence thoughts with mods. You can change the way a creature behaves through mods though.

Also, as long as the species you're milking has a milk-type entry in it's raws, you would be able to use the described method to get the milk so long as the reaction specifies that it is to output only tigerman/dwarf/whatever milk. Hopefully, otherwise you really will need to make a custom milk material. If so, remember to make it alcoholic. The game can't pull materials out of it's ass, unfortunately.
You cannot specify in a reaction that a dwarf must bring a living creature to a workshop, only an item. You can make a reaction that has no reagents except a bucket, and restrict the workshop to only be used by your female dwarves to get 'dwarf milk'. Pets of any species will not perform any labors besides fishing, so you can't get female tigermen or whatnot to do it.

I would love to make mods that affect a dwarf's mood besides 'Urist McGullible has sustained major injuries lately,' (oops >.>) or a reaction that involves/produces a creature. (GOLEMS!)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: [1] 2 3