Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Caring for your Tigerman  (Read 6233 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Caring for your Tigerman
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 04:58:38 pm »

Why such a difference between male and female empathy?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 05:18:47 pm »

Some men with low testosterone counts can even undergo "sympathetic pregnancy" if exposed to enough pregnant women, without the use of injected hormones.
How so?
We don't know exactly, but it has to do with empathy. It work's in a similar way to saying "ow" when you see a girl hit herself in the hand with a hammer. For some reason they mimick the hormone conditions of pregnant women. Then they get all the standard symptoms of pregnant women (hot flashes, mood swings, munchies, a big belly, and so forth). The only difference is that there is no baby.

Sometimes girls can get the same thing by the way, if there is enough emotional pressure to become pregnant they can have a fake pregnancy without any fetus.

It may be an evolutionary artifact, like an appendix. 

Pack-hunting animals like wolves, lions, etc. have alpha females who are the most important huntresses in the pack.  The top-tier females are the only females allowed to mate, but they can't sit out a year's worth of hunts to raise their young, either, so the lowest-ranking, typically older and weaker huntresses will undergo "sympathetic pregnancy".  This causes them to become ready to wetnurse the young of the higher-ranking females by getting their mammaries set up for milk production without actually letting them have children of their own.  Hence, they're only leaving the less-valuable women behind to care for the young while only the most-valuable huntresses get to pass on their genes to the next generation.

Kinda sucks to be at the bottom of the totem pole in nature.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 06:09:05 pm »

Alcohol drives estrogen levels up....

Is this true?

I must know... for !!SCIENCE!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:13:37 pm by narhiril »

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2011, 08:25:24 pm »

So, anyone had luck with these guys?  Are they worth the effort?  They seem weaker in combat than an actual tiger, get uppity and thirsty, and waste my corpse stockpile.

I don't know about being "worth it" ... my lone tigerwoman hasn't gained any skills (her one judge of intent skill has gone rusty) and doesn't seem likely to run for mayor any time soon, but she likes to hang out in my zoo for whatever reason.

Anyhow, they need meat and water (but not from a well).  Dig a one-tile ditch somewhere inside the fortress and designate it as a pond zone.  So long as you have buckets and a water source, it should be enough to keep them satisfied.  You can make it bigger if you have any need to.

As for the meat, just butcher kittens from your cage full of cats every so often (or any other animal) if your meat supply runs low.  I get more than enough from traders that I never worry about it.

I believe Tigermen don't speak dwarvish.

I had a fort where I got a single tigerwoman from an elf caravan. She'd wander around all day and stuff. But never got any social skills.

When I obtained a tigerman, then suddenly she (and the tigerman) started gaining the social skills.

She also had cubs before getting married, oh the scandal.

So I think, unless there's other tigermen to talk to, they won't get any social skills.

No idea how things would work if they're modded to be an actual member of the civilisation, they might be able to speak dwarvish then.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2011, 08:36:38 pm »

All creatures in this game are extremely racist - they will not talk with or make friends with anyone who is not of their race, even if they are part of the same civilization as one another.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 08:44:58 pm »

All creatures in this game are extremely racist - they will not talk with or make friends with anyone who is not of their race, even if they are part of the same civilization as one another.

Not true.  EVERYONE is friends with magma.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 04:21:40 am »

Why such a difference between male and female empathy?

Not true. When you see a guy drinking a beer, emphatically you want to grab one also...

But during worldgen races seems to interact more. Infact Cacame even being a elf manage to became the king of dorfes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 04:19:53 pm »

But during worldgen races seems to interact more. Infact Cacame even being a elf manage to became the king of dorfes.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that any of them liked him or even approved of it, just that he was badass enough to take what he wanted.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 04:44:39 pm »

But that doesn't necessarily mean that any of them liked him or even approved of it, just that he was badass enough to take what he wanted.

Pretty sure they approved/Liked Cacame. His hatred for elves due to their eating his wife burned with the fury of a thousand suns!
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.
Pages: 1 2 [3]