Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ghosts, I love em, now is there a way to edit them or turn em off?  (Read 4793 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Ghosts, I love em, now is there a way to edit them or turn em off?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 04:48:56 am »

I have a pro tip.

Make slabs.

Unless for some reason the ghost's name is not showing up on the list of names to be engraved, which is a known bug.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 12:58:19 pm »

When a curious child got atomsmashed in my 10th year after I had massacred a siege or two, I had to carefully memorize his name in order to find it on the list.  Fortunately dwarves are at the top of the list, but not knowing this, I started at the bottom of the list and cycled up thinking it might be "kill order".  As I cycled through wave after wave of dead goblins and trolls, I noticed that there were bunches of entries with no name attached to them, just "(engrave)".  They also seemed to occur in clusters.  Any idea what that might be about?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 01:49:00 pm »

I didn't see anything relevant in the raws...

But I would happily turn them off if I knew how. Unkillable, untouchable thieves and brutes that will, no matter what, clutter up a civ. Happens more when killing migrants is part of a management strategy (save the food for ourselves!).
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 03:28:46 pm »

If you can't remember the name can't you use the unit lost? I always use the unit list to find out who is still haunting me.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Hateweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 03:35:27 pm »

If I have had setup coffins to bury them in, I've never had a ghost stick around for any time at all.
I have had where early on, the stone mason died (damn skeletal crocs!), turn into a ghost - and by the time I finally got a stone coffin built for him and installed - that wasn't enough to satisfy him (had to make a slab).

But any other time - if I already have coffins available - I don't get any ghosts (certainly not angry ones), even with a variety of sad/unbury-able deaths occuring every year.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 05:24:17 pm »

As I cycled through wave after wave of dead goblins and trolls, I noticed that there were bunches of entries with no name attached to them, just "(engrave)".  They also seemed to occur in clusters.  Any idea what that might be about?

These appear to be un-assigned pets, like all those puppies you put on chains outside.  Owned pets and non-butchered animals of your civilization can be given a slab.  Those cattle that you butcher, do not get one, but that cattle that was killed by a goblin ambush, will.  Since they have no name, because they're not pets, it displays no name.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 08:06:11 pm »

Could you put them in a coffin, and then destroy the coffin? I'd rather avoid having to build a huge mausoleum to house the dead that I never wanted.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 08:35:31 pm »

No, when the coffin is destroyed, the body pops out, unlike cages where the contents remain inside.  Un-built slabs count as nothing, they must be built, and remain built, to function.  I build mass graves, personally, with a few dozen tiles square filled with native stone coffins.  Nice platinum caskets go to the picky nobles, who actually get burried in their room more often than not, as I place all of their furniture in one room so that it improves each other.
Pages: 1 [2]