Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The factors that go into the price of rent  (Read 616 times)

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The factors that go into the price of rent
« on: November 01, 2006, 04:54:00 pm »

My coworker and I were discussing noble rooms, and got onto wondering what would make them happy.

Poking around on the wiki, we came up with the rent divisions for each quality level.

Which then bore the question: what factors into the cost of rent.

So I went about doing a lot of tests, and got the exact numbers that contribute to rent.

First off, I'll go into my methods, so people don't ask "how'd you get these numbers?"

(Note that in every case where rent was being checked, the room was freed, and then re-designated, as the rent only appeared to update at that point - I'm not sure if this is because the game normally only makes this check periodically, or not.  (Care to comment Toady?))

I started out with a 1x1 room, in grey rock.  In essence, a 1x2 hallway, with a door, and a bed.    The cost of the furniture was already known to be a direct cost, and by swapping out the door, I realized the door is simply another piece of furniture as far as the rent is concerned.    That left walls, and floor, with an unaccounted rent factor of 5.  There are three wall spaces, and 2 floor (one under bed, one under door).

Rock walls, and rock floors, appear to be 1 each.   I tested this by checking the rent of some simple rooms, and it added up.   I then proceeded to smooth a wall, and a floor, checked some other rooms, and these numbers added up too.   I then expanded these tests to cases which had light/dark stone, obsidian, and gems, and obtained an exact value that worked for them all.

Then poking around, I discovered the material table on the wiki... and the numbers matched.   /sigh, so I wasted a couple hours, but at least I was on the right track.   I still learned the values for smoothing, which were not in there, and varies by material type.

So, in a nutshell, each tile in a room counts for exactly the following:

Floors:
rough rock   1
smooth rock   4
rough light/dark   2
smooth light/dark   14
rough obsidian   3
smooth obsidian   21

Walls:
rough rock   1
smooth rock   5
rough light/dark   2
smooth light/dark   18
rough obsidian   3
smooth obsidian   27
malachite   2
casserite   2
sphalerite   2
coal   2
turqouise   2
Rock Crystal   2
Rose Quartz   3
aventurine   3
Galena   10
hematite   10
aquamarine   20
chrysoberyl   20
red spinel   20
opal   20
gold   30
platinum   40
diamond   40
emerald   40
ruby   40
sapphire   40

Now, you may notice that detailing is left off my list.    That is because the results I was getting was random.   I see a gain of anywhere from 0 to 50 on top of what is normally present for smoothed rock.   It seems to be tied to the skill level of the engraver - someone with no skill would usually give me 0 or 10, while a legendary would normally give me 0, 40, or 50.   Masterpieces were not excempt from this randomness either - they would sometimes result in a 0 gain too, which makes me think this is a bug.  (Toady?)

Another thing to note is that statues behave in an odd manner, as do windows.

A 3x3 room had a rent value of 83.   I took out one of the rock walls (worth 1), and put in a green glass window (worth 50).   Resulting rent: 83.

Likewise, a 3x3 room entirely in rough rock, with a statue worth 250 had a rent increase of 250 when it was placed in the center, and a rent gain of 242 (less whatever was blocked by statue, since statues count as walls, which was 1 rock wall on side walls, and 2 rock walls in corners).

Due to the 250 gain in the center, it appears that squares with a statue do count their floor square still.

I'm not sure if the 242 gain instead of the full 250 is intended, or is a bug, likewise, I'm not sure if windows should be ignored in rent either (Toady?)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The factors that go into the price of rent
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 06:45:00 pm »

there is a penalty for rooms that are not fully enclosed in wall/door.

thus the variable you are seeing when you carve out a niche for your statue or window.

i think.  maybe.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The factors that go into the price of rent
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>there is a penalty for rooms that are not fully enclosed in wall/door.

thus the variable you are seeing when you carve out a niche for your statue or window.

i think.  maybe.</STRONG>

Windows + statues count as walls, at least, as far as bedroom designation is concerned.   It is possible that the "open air penalty" is still factoring into the rent though, but it doesn't appear to be.

The statue was never "carved out" either - it was simply placed in a fully enclosed,  pre-existing room, which was then re-designated to re-calculate the rent.  The spaces which are thereby blocked by the statue were calculated out of the room cost, to get the resulting 242 cost modifier, which was a constant result after checking a couple rooms of varying rent values with that same statue.

I have since also replaced the window which was worth 50, with one that was worth 200 - the rent stayed at exactly the same (83).  So even if it were the "open air penalty" countering the 50 that the first window was worth, the rent should be adjusting when it was replaced with the more expensive window.

[ November 01, 2006: Message edited by: Draxxalon ]