Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarven Survival Tips  (Read 6074 times)

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Survival Tips
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2011, 05:40:05 pm »

67: I will correct all number strangeness.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2011, 12:22:00 am »

68. I will not host a party or go for a drink right before I am ordered to go into combat.
69. If I am the broker, and am supposed to be at the trade depot, I will not blankly stare at the wall and say I am on break.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2011, 02:04:49 am »

70. If i am accosted by a lone kobold thief i WILL enter a martial trance and mash it into a fine paste instead of getting my throat slashed out.

71. If i am ordered to stand guard on a retractable drawbridge over a long drop/magma/etc. i WILL ignore that order.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2011, 02:24:15 am »

72.  I will learn how to make home-made bandages and possibly purchase some thread for sutures that I can apply to myself, possibly even practicing medical procedures on some dead things.  This may be a communist fortress, but I'm obviously on my own for my healthcare.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2011, 05:44:46 am »

73. When ordered to equip armor, I will actually go for the steel masterpieces stockpiled right next to the barracks instead of that copper junk a goblin left behind three years ago.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 09:29:13 am »

74. I will refrain from moving to any settlement with a volcano or magma pipe until it has survived long enough to become a barony.
75. If it becomes impossible to uphold Rule #74 and still earn a decent living, I will endeavour to arrive dressed exclusively in silk and/or leather, no matter how ridiculous I may look as a result.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2011, 06:27:55 pm »

76. I will pay attention to the specific names that the Dwarf-in-charge has given to burrows. I will follow any orders to head in the one named "Civilian Safety Bunker." I will disobey any orders to head to the one named "Useless Personnel Disposal."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:29:58 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2011, 08:34:18 pm »

77. If born into a version of DF that has yet to implement the ability to keep a knife in my boot, I will practice either mining or woodcutting until at least Competent before migrating anywhere. If confronted by any hostile creature that can run faster than me, I shall hit it very hard in the soft bits and hope for the best.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2011, 09:12:30 pm »

78. If I am on fire, I will jump into the nearest body of water. If no such thing is available, I will stop, drop, and roll until the fire is put out. Under no circumstances will I approach any flammable objects while in this state.
79. I will use my knowledge of the fort and its layout. I will not complain about warm stone if I know for a fact that a magma reservoir is immediately below my feet. Nor will I complain about damp stone when asked to dig immediately above the cistern.
80. Despite the above, when asked to dig through warm or damp stone, I will move away from the breach as soon as the square is cleared. Yes, I'll look stupid if no flood happens, but I'll live if one does.
81. I will learn how to swim.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:16:44 pm by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2011, 09:25:20 pm »

82. I read 81 again.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 12:42:53 am »

83. In case of dire situation, I will not cancel gathering plants to hunt vermin.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2011, 03:21:42 am »

82. I read 81 again.

It's also rule 37. Can't be too careful.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 05:03:52 am »

84: I will learn to Swim (Got it Memorized???)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2011, 05:07:40 am »

85. I will for go swimming lessons, knowing that neither river, lake, nor cave pond is safe from horrors with [UNDERSWIM], thus leaving no safe place to practice such a skill.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2011, 10:27:51 am »

86.  I will make sure to go above ground (in a nice sheltered area cut off from attackers of course) at least once a month in order to prevent cave adaptation.  It may not be comfortable up there but it's better than uncontrollable vomiting if I ever am forced to escape from the fortress due to flooding, plagues, cave creatures, or whatever else some idiot did.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6