Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 14424 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2012, 11:40:20 pm »

Necro, but does anyone still play this?

I had a strange urge to purchase it while it was on sale, and am actually enjoying myself. Particularly, learning the ins and outs of being a sniper at longer ranges; it's nice that they at least simulate bullet drop, so there is more of a skill component with gauging distances than "point and shoot." Also, being countersniped.

I'm utter trash at flying a plane, which is surprising because I was pretty good at the Ace Combat (on 360). I might pick up a controller for helicopters and planes only, but I find the mouse and keyboard to be better suited for infantry, ground vehicles, and sniping in particular.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2012, 08:16:38 am »

I started playing again a few days ago. Me and a couple of friends bought the "Premium" offer-thing with all current (and future DLC's). I think it's pretty fun, although the teams are often so unbalanced it's almost funny.

I seem to be the opposite of you, though, I'm pretty good in a plane/helicopter but only average at best while sniping.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2012, 09:33:01 am »

I play an hour or two a day(since it launched). I don't like how you don't get any experience if you can't stay until the end of a battle(sometimes a server has 10x tickets).

I am an elite heli pilot, but terrible with tanks and planes. I am excellent at shooting down helis and planes with Stingers but terrible at close quarters combat. Decent sniper, but I usually just act as a spotter rather than giving away my position with a kill or two. My score suffers, but it's invaluable to a team.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2012, 10:22:53 am »

I play, I pilot the helicopter if no one else is, otherwise I'm support.

It's the greatest feeling ever when a tank comes in and I can C4 it. I'm usually killed more then I kill but I usually come in the top 5, I have more mvp ribbons than mvp 2 or mvp 3 ribbons the last time I checked.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2012, 10:36:22 am »

I just picked it back up recently. I flip flop between support, medic, and engineer (suck at sniping). I'll flip flop from doing awesome, to several games of constant death. I hate snipers that sit on the far side of the map in their deployment area, making it almost impossible to kill them unless you counter snipe (and again, i suck at that).

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2012, 12:54:31 pm »

I play an hour or two a day(since it launched). I don't like how you don't get any experience if you can't stay until the end of a battle(sometimes a server has 10x tickets).

I think you do get points if you leave early, just not until the match actually ends. The server seems to report stats to the central stat server at the end of rounds. This means that if the server crashes you lose your points, though.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2012, 01:17:36 pm »

I seem to have picked up some skills at dogfighting, but I still need a controller. Right now I switch to using pure keyboard with arrow keys, since the mouse requires too much micromanagement (see: picking up the mouse, giving split seconds of inactivity, in order to continue a tight turn) which tends to kill me in dogfights.

ECM appears to be broken, though. At least I'm decent against air targets with the main gun. Can't hit ground targets very well yet.

Loving the support as well. Feel like an Iraqi Scooby Doo, just attach some C4 to one of the jeeps that everyone ignores, find a tank, and Durka Durka Dooooooo. While jumping out first, of course.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2012, 02:10:13 pm »

I seem to have picked up some skills at dogfighting, but I still need a controller. Right now I switch to using pure keyboard with arrow keys, since the mouse requires too much micromanagement (see: picking up the mouse, giving split seconds of inactivity, in order to continue a tight turn) which tends to kill me in dogfights.

Loving the support as well. Feel like an Iraqi Scooby Doo, just attach some C4 to one of the jeeps that everyone ignores, find a tank, and Durka Durka Dooooooo. While jumping out first, of course.

When turning, switch to third person mode, makes it a million times easier to turn, and thrust changes the arc size obviously, but try the third person thing if you haven't made the biggest difference in the world from me. Went from can't do this to, I'm blowing kids the fuck up. Switch back to first once someone is basically in or close to your cross-hairs, slaughter, back to third.

Jeep jihad is great.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2012, 02:41:58 pm »

I haven't played in a while. Between the quick starter kits and the premium service, what they're doing with the game has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Beyond that, after about 150 hours I'd mostly unlocked everything except air vehicle stuff, and from what I'm hearing CQC is already dead in the water. Very few people are playing it.

I still do have fun with friends (assuming our team isn't getting bent over a railing) but that's about the only thing that motivates me to fire up the game right now. Maybe when the other DLC's release I'll check them out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2012, 02:49:10 pm »

I've play abit not so much because of all these Premium players which most of them just started and using weapons I won't be getting anytime soon.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2012, 02:54:29 pm »

the only weapon that comes with premium is a knife. basically a reskin. Premium just offers the dlc at a slight discount because you pre-purchase it and a couple of days early access to dlc. Additionally, you get priority when joining a server with a que.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2012, 02:58:14 pm »

You get those shortcuts to don't you? But still if you can afford the premium your going to have those shortcuts sooner or later.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2012, 11:59:16 pm »

The shortcuts are separate, regardless of whether you've bought the Premium or not. You do get access to the ability to pay $6.99 just to unlock a majority of a classes weapons that could be done by playing the game normally. It's not even really pay to win, though, because you still have to get kills with said weapons to unlock the scopes, barrels and bipods that enable them to be more specialized in their duty. I almost loathe getting a new sniper rifle, due to the fact that it'll start with just a 8x or so scope after I've been attached to a lesser one with a 12x scope and bipod, which increases my ability to snipe drastically by giving me longer range and complete stability when stationary.

I suppose the reason I do extremely well one game and extremely badly another is because of the difficulty difference, in a way. There's no real way to gauge the skills of the players you're about to face or be paired with, so one game you might have the support of decent players and the next the game could team you against a full roundup of level 100 players. Not that they're invincible, but they do tend to be better.

As a side note, I kinda like CQC in small doses. It has a different feel to it. I suppose it would be called more Call of Duty-ish, but it does change the tactics and weaponry by such a large degree that you can't play the same way in it as you would in say, Conquest Large. It's also great for racking up points on a Recon, if you can get a T-UGS, since you spot practically everything on half the map. Sniper rifle builds need not apply, though, so use a carbine if you have it globally unlocked.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:05:15 am by Astral »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 08, 2013, 02:37:34 pm »

Scoopbeard casts: "Raise Dead"!

Anyways, is anyone still enjoying this game? Considering getting back into it, getting premium, I just wanted to know if it was fun enough to warrant that considering BF4 is coming out soon.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]