Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 14476 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2011, 02:09:30 pm »

A question for someone who played Red Orchestra 2 and now tried this. How does it compare to RO2? Because from what I've seen, the only thing BF3 has over RO2 is jets and graphics.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2011, 05:15:41 pm »

Only thing bad I have to say about it is that every server is full. Can't seem to get into a server to play.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2011, 05:29:53 pm »

I figured it out, the server list keeps loading as you scroll down, so when you sort, its just a small sample of servers. Use filters to get rid of full servers, and maybe focus on your region as well, and youll find many servers.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2011, 05:36:06 pm »

I haven't thought about the filter. I'll try that now. :D

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2011, 05:37:25 pm »

@ the people complaining about price... why didn't any of you shop around? I got my copy for 43 dollars..

I'll probably be getting a hard copy limited edition for 435 SEK, which is $61.5. Not too bad, seeing how a $60 game here is usually priced at 600 SEK (this is what it costs for xbox and PS3).

You Americans get so cheap games, it's no fair. >:(
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2011, 05:41:25 pm »

@ the people complaining about price... why didn't any of you shop around? I got my copy for 43 dollars..

I'll probably be getting a hard copy limited edition for 435 SEK, which is $61.5. Not too bad, seeing how a $60 game here is usually priced at 600 SEK (this is what it costs for xbox and PS3).

Where are you from? I wish to know what SEK stands for  :P

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2011, 05:47:57 pm »

SEK is the currency of EVE Online. He's from space.
Actually I'm pretty sure it stands for Swedish Krona

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 28, 2011, 05:50:34 pm »

A question for someone who played Red Orchestra 2 and now tried this. How does it compare to RO2? Because from what I've seen, the only thing BF3 has over RO2 is jets and graphics.

Larger levels, generally cleaner and high production value work. Destructible terrain, that's a big one. A huge player base that's going to play it regardless, that's another. A SP that satisfies, for three. RO2 just offers a different sensation all around, from the maps to the shooting to the mechanics.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2011, 05:53:40 pm »

So, we going to have a bay 12 platoon?? (I imagine they work like normal clan things)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2011, 06:09:39 pm »

SEK is the currency of EVE Online. He's from space.
Nah, the currency of EVE Online (and Iceland, actually) is ISK (Icelandic Króna, or in the case of EVE, InterStellar Kredits. Don't ask ::))

Actually I'm pretty sure it stands for Swedish Krona

This is correct, though. Swedish Krona or Swedish Crown, which is the English translation.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2011, 11:50:44 pm »

Larger levels, generally cleaner and high production value work. Destructible terrain, that's a big one. A huge player base that's going to play it regardless, that's another. A SP that satisfies, for three. RO2 just offers a different sensation all around, from the maps to the shooting to the mechanics.
Actually RO2 has destruction, just that you'll hardly notice it (only tanks and artillery fire can cause destruction, I think) and it's limited (so that the map won't be mowed down into a flatland).

But yeah, RO2 doesn't have a big playerbase (most of the servers are empty), BF3 is hyped up so much that it is stealing lots of fans from the CoD series, so I doubt you'll have a problem finding people to play on a BF3 server.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2011, 05:29:36 pm »

So, impressions after playing the beta for quite a few hours today and yesterday.

Firstly, the Operation Métro map sucks. I mean, really, who came up with the idea to make that the beta map? There's no vehicles and the Métro sections of the map are horribly chokepointy.

Anyway, other than that, the game plays really well, I like the gunplay and general 'feel' of the game and I think it'd play a lot better with vehicles and larger, less linear maps. I did get to play the large conquest map for about half an hour before the server kicked me out, though. Unfortunately, the server I got into was very laggy, and half of both teams were camping the jet spawns, so it wasn't very exciting. I especially like the suppression mechanic they put in, when you shoot at someone in cover their screen gets blurry, their health stops auto-regenerating and they aim worse. It actually works really well, it's really useful to lay down suppressive fire with a machine gun, since whoever is being suppressed will aim significantly worse, making them an easy target for you and your team mates.

However, the beta is still terribly buggy at times, most of it is just visual bugs like animations not playing or parts of the weapon floating half a meter from where it's supposed to be. There are some really annoying gameplay bugs, though, especially the issue with ground collision. One server I played on had ground that wasn't solid in some places, which led to people getting stuck underground, being able to shoot others with impunity. The bug seems quite common in lesser forms as well, where you sink down into the ground up to your waist, having to climb back up again. Just an hour or so ago I had an enemy swimming around inside the ground really fast, killing a crapload of people. Hopefully they fix these bugs before release, but I'm a bit sceptical, TBH.

Finally, Origin is completely meaningless, it doesn't do much of anything and is just there to inconvenience you with more stuff you have to have installed on your computer. Also, whose idea was it to have the server browser run in a web browser anyway? It's not that it's bad per se, but it opens up so many possible problems that could have been avoided with a normal in-game server browser. For example, I run Nightly (64-bit Firefox) which the browser does not support (no where does it say which browsers are supported, mind you), so I had to install a 32-bit Firefox. Not too bad, but still, it's an extra step of potential problems for people who have no idea what they're doing.

Despite all the bugs and inconveniences, I think it'll be a great game, in the end, so I pre-ordered it earlier today. Here's to hoping that it's less buggy by the 27th of October
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:16:45 pm by Silfurdreki »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2011, 11:55:30 pm »

Well, today the new map with vehicles and such opened up. It really makes me look better on the game. The map is quite large, making the interplay between the vehicles and infantry even more interesting.

As for my strategy, I use the support class' C4, place 5 on a jeep's hood, then make a bee-line for the nearest enemy tank. Jump out shortly before hitting the tank, detonate the C4, and you get 250-350 points and 1 or 2 kills if you didn't get shot before detonating it. And best of all, your teammates will be free of an enemy tank. Even when it was only me doing it, I could almost lock down enemy tanks from leaving their base simply because the jeeps respawn and can be brought up to the front lines so much more rapidly.

Jets seem pretty much useless for now, though I haven't seen any of their unlockable weaponry, helicopters are very difficult to use correctly, but seem to be pretty lethal if you do. Jeeps are great for fast transport and anti-tank exploding, tanks feel like tanks without being overpowered, and the mobile anti-aircraft is decent at both aircraft and extreme range killing of enemy tanks.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2011, 09:10:58 am »

Just so you guys are aware, the beta isn't even a current version, it's like a month old at least, so the difference between current beta and release is going to be pretty big.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2011, 02:18:17 pm »

Well, today the new map with vehicles and such opened up. It really makes me look better on the game. The map is quite large, making the interplay between the vehicles and infantry even more interesting.

As for my strategy, I use the support class' C4, place 5 on a jeep's hood, then make a bee-line for the nearest enemy tank. Jump out shortly before hitting the tank, detonate the C4, and you get 250-350 points and 1 or 2 kills if you didn't get shot before detonating it. And best of all, your teammates will be free of an enemy tank. Even when it was only me doing it, I could almost lock down enemy tanks from leaving their base simply because the jeeps respawn and can be brought up to the front lines so much more rapidly.

Jets seem pretty much useless for now, though I haven't seen any of their unlockable weaponry, helicopters are very difficult to use correctly, but seem to be pretty lethal if you do. Jeeps are great for fast transport and anti-tank exploding, tanks feel like tanks without being overpowered, and the mobile anti-aircraft is decent at both aircraft and extreme range killing of enemy tanks.

You managed to get Caspian Border to play without the server lagging to death? I tried playing for an hour or so last night and it had short lag spikes every five seconds or so. Made flying jets absolutely hopeless.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16