Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 14493 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2011, 01:01:05 pm »

Buoying their activities is the memory that a similar campaign worked for Battlefield: Bad Company, organised by Sarcastic Gamer. Since EA backed down last time, it seems odd that they’re doing the same this time.
EA didn't back down, they were still sold with the gold edition. They simply made the weapons unlockable. It was a compromise, but no backing down.

Not only that, but this:

He added: "We were more successful with our approach then anticipated. We didn't think most people would hit level 22 to be honest, and especially so fast. Our calculations on how much people would play to hit level 20, 25, 50 were completely wrong. We thought people wouldn't play that much."

For Battlefield 3, says Bach, DICE will properly prepare for post-release content to keep the community occupied.

"We've learnt our lesson now, and have a lot of really interesting plans for how to keep the attention of the players. We can do better in that area," he said.

Expect it to have even more DLCs and even if they make them unlockable, the leveling will probably be much slower.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2011, 03:05:11 pm »

They had it basically about right in BF2. I had a friend play it religiously for 3 to 4 years and he never maxed out. Sometimes I think the only 5 star generals in BF2 were bots.

Anyways, the boycott ain't gonna work. It didn't work with RE5. As annoying as this shit is, it has never pissed off enough gamers that sales actually suffered.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2011, 05:39:12 pm »

Quote from: Soulwynd
EA didn't back down, they were still sold with the gold edition. They simply made the weapons unlockable. It was a
compromise
, but no backing down.

Honestly, actually having a mega-corporation respond to complaints from a small segment of customers and marginally changing their policies to accommodate their valid concerns seems to be a victory in and of itself. Compromise=Boycott Victory.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:40:58 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2011, 09:34:02 pm »

It wasn't a small segment in that case. As far as I can remember, the whining about Bad Company's bullshit was huge. Much bigger than what I'm seeing for BF3.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2011, 07:45:26 am »

Q: Is the Physical Warfare Pack available in all regions, or just in the UK?
A: It will be available worldwide at select retailers. It was first announced in the UK. Exact details for other countries and retailers will be announced at a later date.

Q: Will Physical Warfare Pack imbalance the game?
A: The three exclusive items in the Physical Warfare Pack were specifically chosen not to be overpowered or imbalance or break the game in any way.

Q: Why do I want the Physical Warfare Pack?
A: Owning these items will give you a more varied arsenal, but it will not give you a significant advantage on the battlefield.

Q: Is the Back to Karkand expansion pack exclusive to pre-orders?
A: No. You can also buy it separately if you do not pre-order Battlefield 3. Back to Karkand will be available the exact same date after the launch of Battlefield 3 no matter if you pre-ordered or buy it separately.

Q: When will the Back to Karkand expansion pack be released?

A: We have not yet announced the Back to Karkand expansion pack release date.

Q: How much does the Back to Karkand Expansion pack cost?
A: We have not yet announced a price. However, it will be included in the Limited Edition at no extra charge.

Q: Do I have to choose between Back to Karkand and the Physical Warfare Pack as my pre-order bonus?
A: No. There is no way you can pre-order Battlefield 3: Limited Edition and not end up with the Back to Karkand expansion pack at no extra charge. On top of this, select retailers all over the world will carry the Physical Warfare Pack. Exact details for other countries and retailers will be announced at a later date.

Q: Why do you offer pre-order bonus items?
A: Because we believe in rewarding our core fanbase with special offers -- such as giving them the Back to Karkand expansion pack at no extra charge.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/06/13/physical-warfare-pack-and-back-to-karkand-questions-answered.aspx##
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2011, 08:37:35 am »

They're very insistent on that they are, in fact, providing the Back to Karkand expansion pack at no extra charge to pre-orders...

It seems that they understand that some people are angry about the retailer specific bonus stuff, at least, since they're trying to shift attention away from it.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2011, 01:25:23 pm »

You know what would be a better strategy instead of this bullshit?

Simply allow preorder gamers to have some cool unlockables at the start, instead of having to level up all the way. Reskins are also quite acceptable as well as hats (go tf2, go).

Giving them map packs other people have to buy and weapons you have to actually buy is plain stupid.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2011, 02:01:27 pm »

Giving pre-orders special skins / hats / etc would be fine with me, but even giving them unlocks that non-preorders would have to level up for would be unbalanced and unfair, as is giving them items that items that nobody else can even get. (That said, if anyone who preorders gets the same thing, e.g. it's all in the Limited Edition, I wouldn't complain too much - but that doesn't seem to be what they're doing now)

I've already pre-ordered the Limited Edition, and from how this appears to be working in the UK, the Physical Warfare Pack costs extra above and beyond what the Limited Edition costs, so you have to cancel your existing pre-order and place a new one for a different, more expensive, product in order to get those added items.

I note that right now (and for the past several months) the Limited Edition's description on Amazon says:

Limited Edition Features

Pre-order Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition to get Back to Karkand expansion pack at no extra charge. The Limited Edition includes:

Four legendary maps from Battlefield 2, including Strike at Karkand, Wake Island, Gulf of Oman, and Sharqui Peninsula. Combined, these maps have accumulated over 25,000 years of play-time.
Ten iconic Battlefield 2 weapons reworked with the Frostbite 2 Engine.
Four brand new vehicles.

Unique rewards, Achievements/Trophies, and more.

How much do you want to bet that the cake is a lie?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:02:59 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2011, 02:51:54 pm »

Ten iconic BF2 weapons? What, like the ten modern-era weapons used in every modern game ever?

Four brand new vehicles probably includes the MRAP, Stryker, and OPFOR analoges.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2011, 06:08:36 pm »

The ten weapons and the four vehicles are only related to the back to Karkand expansion, and will only be playable in those maps.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2011, 10:46:40 pm »

Wake Island is expansion content now?

I'm not sure whether to hate them right away for pulling this DLC bullshit, or preorder right away.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2011, 07:39:02 am »

Wake Island is expansion content now?
I'm not sure whether to hate them right away for pulling this DLC bullshit, or preorder right away.

Preorder right away. 31.99 USD for a digital copy, and there's non-limited edition keys too (linked) if you don't want to support the DLC, something that most sellers I've found aren't offering.

Edit:
Oh, and there's an extra discount if you "like" them on Facebook!

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2011, 08:55:38 am »

Wow, it that site legit? It seems to good to be true... 30$ instead of 50€ for games...

I think I just came...

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2011, 12:24:35 am »

Me and my previous purchases can vouch for it, and so will all these people.

As you can see their customer service is great; give them a message if you're not sold.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2011, 12:29:01 am »

But does that copy register on steam?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16